the loss of a loved one

Options
Hi everyone,

My brother passed away 9 months ago very suddenly. He was 37 and sitting in his chair eating dinner when he passed. My brother was the only person in this entire world who understood me and accepted me for all of my faults. Starting from the time I found out that he passed, my life has never been the same. One memory of him is of he and I talking . I remember we were at our mom's house and Andrew, my brother, asked me if I had lost weight and I told him yes. He said that I looked good.

I do not know why this particular memory keeps playing over and over in my head like a scratched CD. I guess part of the reason I want to lose weight is so that I can look the way I did on one of the last days that he saw me.

I could go on and on about my brother because I am still grieving, but I know this is not a grief share. The reason I am writing this is because I want to know if anyone has shared a similar experience in their lives.

Replies

• caribear1984
    Options
    I haven't experienced this, but I am so sorry for your loss. I know your brother would be proud of you for taking care of yourself.
  • rkleine74
    Options
    My dad was that person for me. He died of a heart attack two years ago. When I realized that I weighed more than him, being five inches shorter and a woman, I decided I needed to turn myself around and get healthy. I know my dad was proud of me, but I know he wants me to enjoy a full, happy, healthy life. I am sorry for you loss, I have been there!
  • Iceman420
    Iceman420 Posts: 195
    Options
    I went through the same thing with my mother. She passed in July 2011, and I still haven't recovered. Plenty of memories keep playing in my head. I'm sorry for your loss.
  • buddysmom35
    buddysmom35 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been where you are after the passing of my mother. It took me many years to come to grips with her being gone. I am so sorry for your loss.
  • Taylormade_80
    Taylormade_80 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My best friend for the past 21yrs passed away a month ago today from pnuemonia. She was 33yrs old. It was crazy because no one ever thought that it would end her life. We all thought that she would pop some antibiotics and be fine, especially since other than being overweight, she was perfectly healthy. One of the last conversations i had with her was about losing weight. I told her I had been using MFP and it had helped me lose 7lbs at that time. She was excited to give it a try. When she passed it shook me and I stopped monitoring my calories and portions for a while, but I'm getting back on track. I am going to lose this weight not only for me but for her.