Cardio vs. Lifting.

Options
So I took everyones advice recently and started lifting weights.. However I notice I'm just getting in about 15-20 minutes of cardio at the gym now.. Should I be doing more cardio.. Btw I tend to be in the gym 6 days a week..

Btw: I have no devices; like hr monitors or anything.

Replies

• particleastro
    particleastro Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Resitance training will give your CV system a hell of a workout, as long as you are incoporating the big compound moves like bench, squat, deads etc.

Check your blood pressure. You can buy the mini-Omron BP cuff and reader for cheaps (and its the same model carried by the UK motorcycle paramedics). If it starts going up too much then incorporate a bit more 'pure' CV work. If not, golden!

Good Luck
    JU
  • sarahmartin2013
    Options
    thanks for your advice
  • meribethd
    meribethd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hooray for lifting weights!!

I honestly think 15-20 min of cardio if you are lifting is probably good--but what kind of cardio are you doing? if it's steady state, I would switch to HIIT.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    While doing heavy lifting does give your CV system a workout it does not replace running or any other activity. If you want to be able to run, then you will have to do some running. If you want to get faster and feel better on your bike, then you absolutely have to go riding. Just doing one type of exercise won't make you healthy, just like only eating meat will not make you healthy. There must be a million plans out there that you could do but what it comes down to what ever your main goal is, either strength or CV, do that activity first. And keep in mind that as you go through a years exercise, mixing thing up a bit can be great both mentally and physically.