Devices

Options
What device(s) do u all use to keep track of calories burned? I'm trying to get back on track. Starting to play sports again and want a good/better monitor to help me calculate calories burned along the way. Suggestions? BTW, I'm going to play basketball and volleyball, so won't do well with chest hrm & wrist devices. Help!

Replies

• browneyes97
    Options
    I have a Bodybugg. You were armband with it on it (it goes on the left upper arm). I love it. It measures how many calories you burn. You can wear it for up to 23hrs a day however I take mine off while I sleep. The hard part is remembering to charge it and there is no instant gratification. You have to hook it up to the computer to see how many calories you burned (although I think there is a newer model with an instant read gadget). I just wished MFP linked up to it.
    Hope you find something that works for you.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I have a Bodybugg. You were armband with it on it (it goes on the left upper arm). I love it. It measures how many calories you burn. You can wear it for up to 23hrs a day however I take mine off while I sleep. The hard part is remembering to charge it and there is no instant gratification. You have to hook it up to the computer to see how many calories you burned (although I think there is a newer model with an instant read gadget). I just wished MFP linked up to it.
    Hope you find something that works for you.

I have a bodybugg too and I love it. However, the bodymedia devices are basically the same thing and they sync up with MFP. they also track sleep and a few other things. Theyre both made by the same company

Also for the instant gratification I can sync mine to my cell phone or there is also a wrist band you can buy for extra
  • kevinsheehan1
    Options
    I have a fitbit Ultra and a Polar RCX5 with GPS. The fitbit is great for keeping track of your general activity and it also can monitor your sleep, something I find useful as sleep is not an easy one for me and improving it is a large part of my wanting to loose weight. I also have a sleeptracker but find the fitbit software so much easier and more reliable to use. The fitbit helps me know how active I have been and also shows when I have slipped.

The Polar RCX5 is total overkill for my exercise level and activities but I do like my gadgets and personally I am really driven by having the feedback on how I am doing. It wirelessly syncs to polars website and plots out the routes I have walked and also maps out the heartrates during activities. I find the feedback on how much to do each day useful and I can do the same routine again later and compare the recordings.

As gadgets go I also love my wireless withings scales as they take care of recording my weight and uploading it to MFP and fitbit. I find having these bits done automatically great as it is when I am slipping that I need the feedback most, but these are the times I am least likely to do it manually.

I do like gadgets and so some of these may be to fidly for someone who just wants the basics and likes their gadgets to sit in the background.

P.S.
    Forgot about your comment on wrist/chest straps. The fitbit clips to your belt, though when I have wanted it out of the way and to avoid catching it I have found works fine clipped to underwear. Though I dont know how well it would cope with being fallen on.
  • sarahmartin2013
    Options
    How much did y'all pay for those devices?
  • donmcc
    donmcc Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have and use a BodyMedia and love it.
  • CDG1013
    CDG1013 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Fitbit One...I use it to estimate calories based on activity level. It seems to do a great job.
  • mleech77
    mleech77 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I love my gadgets as well. For general monitoring I have a bodymedia, but I'm probably going to replace it with a Fitbit. Fitbit does all the same things that the bodymedia does, and I don't have to pay a monthly subscription. I'm doing a training program for a sprint distance triathlon so I have a bunch of gadgets to monitoring my performance. For my swimming I have a Garmin Swim, my biking I have a Garmin Edge 500, and for my running I have a Garmin Forerunner 410. I have a footpod and HRM to use with the FR, the Edge uses the HRM as well, and the Cadence sensor I have attached to the bike. I also have a Withings WiFi Scale as well as their Blood Pressure Monitor. Like I said I love my gadgets.
  • kevinsheehan1
    Options
    How much did y'all pay for those devices?

I am in the UK so not sure the price will be relevant but the fitbit was about £70 which I guess would equate to about $110 but you will probably find it is cheaper in the USA. The RCX5 I bought second hand for about ~£215 ( ~ $330)., there are much much cheaper options than the RCX5, I just wanted the extra features as a motivator.
  • mleech77
    mleech77 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    You can pick up the fitbit on amazon for about $90.
  • evyeve21
    evyeve21 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I just picked up the "fitbit zip" today. It was $60. It is very small and water/sweat resistant and I can clip it onto my bra or pants/waist. I still haven't opened it yet so I don't know the accuracy of it. I do know, however, when I lost weight before I used a generic caloric counter (similar to a fitbit) and it helped me tremendously....so I'm excited to see how this one will do. There was also a "fitbit one" that cost $100 and the main difference between that one and the one I got is that it monitors your sleep (which is a great thing), I just didn't want to pay $40 more.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Just purchased a Polar FT7. heard so many good things about them and guess what, it is true. Calories Im burning is amazing compared to relying on MFP or the machines at the gym.