anyone like canned salmon

Options
2»

Replies

• redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    the bones are fine. They are very soft and mix right it. easy to crush and don't affect the taste at all. A guess a little extra calcium never hurt anyone.

But I concur about getting a good brand.
  • finickyfeline2
    finickyfeline2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Well I appreciate all these great ideas! I was almost on board til someone mentioned bones....now I am completely turned off. Dont know if I will ever open that can in the cupboard.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    go to eating well.com and look up the recipe for salmon rosti. My entire family loves these salmon cakes.
  • LadyBlueRR
    Options
    Like so many other replies....we also make croquettes ...It's a very delicious meal but here is another recipe from ALLRECIPES.COM

LINK TO ACTUAL RECIPE
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe-Tools/Print/Recipe.aspx?recipeID=158272&origin=detail&servings=5&metric=false

Delicious Salmon Pasta Salad

recipe image
    Rated: rating
    Submitted By: MirrorMask
    Photo By: Bibi
    Prep Time: 25 Minutes
    Cook Time: 10 Minutes

Ready In: 35 Minutes
    Servings: 5
    "This yummy salad features salmon, fresh vegetables, and a delicious dressing! I created this recipe myself! This is very easy. Anybody can make it!"
    Ingredients:
    1 (8 ounce) package farfalle pasta
    2 heads broccoli, separated into florets
    2 carrots, peeled and chopped
    1 cup olive oil
    2 teaspoons soy sauce

3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    2 cloves garlic, pressed
    3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    salt and pepper to taste
    10 ounces canned salmon, drained
    Directions:
    1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes; drain.
    2. Bring a separate large pot of water to a boil. Add the broccoli and carrots, and cook in the boiling water until tender, 2 to 3 minutes; drain.
    3. Combine the olive oil, soy sauce, red wine vinegar, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a sealable container; seal. Shake vigorously to make the dressing.
    4. Toss together the drained pasta, drained vegetables, salmon, and dressing in a large bowl. Store in refrigerator up to 4 days.
  • MarieG2023
    MarieG2023 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I mixin a tablespoon of either low fat or non fat mayo and some chopped green onion. Then I take romaine lettuce leaves and make
    a salad wrap.
  • bluskies01
    bluskies01 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love salmon cakes, and I've also made salmon quesadillas, they were really good! I tend to get the packets, but the chicken of the sea canned salmon is really not bad either.

For the quesadillas, I just mix the salmon with monterey jack or cheddar cheese, and cook them in a frying pan. You can use low fat cheeses and margarine to oil the pan I'm sure.
  • Pinkgingham_19
    Pinkgingham_19 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    just a note- you want to buy canned wild sockeye. pink salmon is terrible.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I pick out the bones and then rinse it in a collandar. Then, I squeeze the water out. Mix one can with 1-2 eggs. Form patties (small ones). I add a tiny bit of lemon juice, some salt and pepper, and dill weed. The dill makes it really good. Then I coat in cracker crumbs. I know that isn't the healthiest, but the rest of the recipe isn't too bad.

I bake mine. Spray a cooking sheet with Pam, place the patties on it, and spray the tops of them with a little more Pam. Bake on 375 until turning brown and cooked.

Kids love them. High protein low fat. And the canned salmon is cheap. I keep it on hand so if I need a back up dinner idea, I have one. This is a fast recipe, too.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Yep!
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Makes a lovely sandwich - mix with a little mayo, add some finely chopped red onion and rocket leaves.

Can also make a very nice salmon mousse (great as a starter with a side salad.
  • Dani76babi
    Dani76babi Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy it! What I like to do is make some fettuccine Alfredo and then add the (already cooked) can of salmon to that pasta, and when I have a little bit more cooking time available, I like to cook up some broccoli and throw that in as well. Top with some cheese and its fantastic (:

Bread or chip crumbs sprinkled on top makes it even more tasty
  • leketchup
    leketchup Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Great, cheap, fast way to prep low fat high protein meal. I used eat pound a day of it for last 7 months, I constantly have canned salmon in cycle last 2 years. Go for it
  • banana47
    banana47 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I only used John West. Garden salad, 85gr red salmon, salad dressing.
    Try whole grain bread, salmon avocado,red onion, lettuce, rocket.