really struggling with snacking.

Options
I have had a really bad weekend and have snacked for most of it. Found it even harder today as my daughter wanted to bake. Which meant I ate a lot of the things she was making.
Any tips on healthier snacking and/or ways to actually stop the binge eating when bored or faced with food you really shouldn't eat?

Replies

• victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I LOOOVE snacks and I have a super bad sweet tooth, so this was a big challenge for me in the beginning. I know how you feel.

Unfortunately, it is all about will power. I have snacks but I will refrain is it doesn't fit into my day.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Well, really the best way to limit snacking is to not have anything in your house that isn't on your food plan. That and making sure you never let yourself get hungry. It would be totally unreasonable for me to go into the kitchen and bake chocolate chip cookies and then not eat them.

But I do have two ingredient pumpkin spice muffins (124 calories), pumpkin custard and cool whip (95 calories), angel food cake (100 calories). air-popped popcorn (122 calories).

Plan for your snacks and make sure you love them. Log everything.
  • clairehepple72
    clairehepple72 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The way I cope is to have 4 meals a day. I eat every 3-4 hours. Start with a hearty breakfast. Fruit and yoghurt about 11 am then lucnch about 1.30-2 and then dinner 5-6. I have found this has helped with stop reaching for the bad foods as I don't feel hungry.

I hope this helps.:smile:
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Snacking is how I got fat. After 4 years, I have finally gotten to the point where I no longer have a trail from my work station to the kitchen. Distraction works best. If I find myself in the kitchen and it's not meal time, I go do something else. Getting engrossed in a project really takes my mind off of what is in the kitchen.

Oh, and I have 4 meals per day, too. I'm pretty strict with myself about sticking to mealtimes. It's never too long to wait until the next meal, except overnight, but I'm usually sleeping then.
  • sss1966
    sss1966 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately sugar is addictive, so when you eat sugary treats, you just end up eating more. Stay away from it for a while and it doesnt have so much power over you. When cravings are calling try and trick your sensations with a different taste eg if u crave chocolate, pop a pickled onion in your mouth! Or set a timer for say 10 minutes, and go away to do something else, sometimes the craving will pass.
  • clairnix1980
    clairnix1980 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I know its mainly down to willpower just needed some ideas on ways to get my mind off it.
    Think ill try 4 meals a day see if that helps :)
  • klof1901
    klof1901 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's hard! Put carrots on the counter while baking and eat them when you feel the urge to taste! Also try scale by the fridge or encouraging post it's on the fridge or the cabinets where the good snacks are. It's completely unrealistic with kids in the house to get tempting snacks out. Work on exercising your will power, it's there!
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    The pancreas needs to rest, so many good books tell us, or it gets worn out eventually, as it also does from much sugar. Either way not enough insulin is created, and fat gets stored. That alone should be scary enough to have something done about it. Step one is to realize just how addictive refined food such as added sugar is. Stop that, and in a few weeks the most pressing physical craving from processed meals is gone, hopefully less slowly than this news wears off, at which point it's a lot easier. And should you feel a little bored, anxious or lonely, I don't think anyone would mind if you have an occasional celery stick, small bowl of cooked broccoli or a cup or two of peppermint tea, just skip any dipping. It's the continuous emotional eating that's bad, and here it is where it gets interesting; French researches recently found that eating without being hungry is harder on your waistline, as blood sugar and insulin work differently than when you are hungry. Food for thought!