2 weeks into diet, on track and no changes

Options
Hello everyone.
I've been reading the boards and noticed that there are some very generous pros here that give advice to newbies. I would really like some help because I'm stressing over this constantly.

I've been following my diet properly for two weeks and working out about 5-6 days a week, with varying intensities. The working out I've been doing for about a month, but wasn't eating as well.
My work out is usually 90-120 mins, cardio and some calisthenics (lunges, squats, crunches, push ups, side plank, side leg lifts). I also lift 5 lbs weights, and also added in a few reps with a bowflex machine for arms. I alternate the exercises on days. 5 days a week, I do 60 mins on the treadmill, 3.0 mph with 30 second intervals of 6 mph.

As embarrassed as I am to share my food diary, I made it public. I'm vegetarian, by the way. And yes, I love chocolate.
I drink about 3 litres of water a day. [edit: it's private again]

The scale fluctuates, which I expect is normal. But I go from 125 - 126.5 generally. The thing is I keep track of measurements and haven't lost an inch (well, 1 inch from my bust)!! I'm 5'5" and 29 years old. According to online calculators, my body fat % is about 25.5%.

Why isn't my body responding to the changes? Am I being impatient? Other people tend to see results even weekly, it seems.
Thanks in advance for your help, it means a lot to me.

Replies

• fluffypetal
    Options
    Hiya, I am pretty sure someone on here will help you. I have just started this 3 weeks ago and yep I have only lost 2lb. I was told to be patient and carry on, of which I am doing but yeah it does get disheartening when people seem to be dropping weight all the time and you don't.

Some people may even suggest that you increase your calorie intake.

Best of luck and keep your chin up. There are alot of lovely, supportive people on here.

Annie xx
  • boomtimebust
    boomtimebust Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Annie! Thank you so much for your sweet response. Good luck to you too!! Do you mind if I add you?

:) Lily
  • morticiamom
    morticiamom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm no pro, but your goal weight is underweight for your height. Your current weight is just about right. I think you'd be better served eating at maintenance levels, and adding lifting heavy to your routine to firm up what you have rather than trying to take any off.
  • fluffypetal
    Options
    Hiya,

No I don't mind at all. Feel free.

Annie xxx
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I'm no pro, but your goal weight is underweight for your height. Your current weight is just about right. I think you'd be better served eating at maintenance levels, and adding lifting heavy to your routine to firm up what you have rather than trying to take any off.

This. You aren't going to see big results every week because you don't have much (if any) to lose.
  • boomtimebust
    Options
    Thank you for the response, but I really want to lose inches and tone up. I'm not as concerned with the numbers on the scale, it's really the inches and the way my clothes fit. But I appreciate the input :)
  • Willkathmum
    Willkathmum Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm also no expert and I have been going 4 weeks but lost nothing over last 2 so understand your frustration. I do agree with Morticiamum that your goal weight does seem low, however I don't know your build. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps your exercise calories are overstated as you don't really need to lose much and you are quite small if you eat all the calories back you probably don't have a huge deficit so it will take a little longer.

However I've been having a reasonable deficit every day, lost 4lb over the first 2 weeks but nothing the last 2 although my measurements have got very slightly smaller. I haven't got masses to loses I am currently 130 at 5ft 3.5 and want to lose at least another 6 so I am just assuming that it will just take a while to get there.

I'm determined to keep going though even though it sometimes makes me want to cry!
  • morticiamom
    morticiamom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    In that case, which is what I was suggesting, eat at maintenance, and add lifting heavy (more than dumbells) something like New Rules of Lifting for Women, to your routine.
  • boomtimebust
    Options
    I guess patience is key :/
    Thanks for your message, good luck with your goals and keep at it!!
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options

Why try to lose when your weight is already low. Do some strength training and you will look fitter and toner with clothes fitting better giving you a healthier overall body.
  • boomtimebust
    Options
    Thanks I will look into new strength training exercises :)
  • Chadandbradsmummy
    Chadandbradsmummy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position too (only WAY less active) and have been going for 2 weeks losing 3 lbs the first week and none the second. It's so disheartening and just makes me feel like giving up and eating cake.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I think the key to success for you is to reduce your cardio workouts a little, and replace them with some weight lifting...and I'm not talking about 5 pound weights either. Read the book, "The New Weightlifting Rules for Women". Then put what you read into practice. There are many, many women on this site who are doing that. (They many even have a discussion/support group.)

You may be what they call "skinny fat". Your weight is right, but too much of it is fat and not enough is muscle.
  • phoebesunshine
    phoebesunshine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Best thing I can say is be patient. Toning up does take longer than losing fat. When I was younger I was always trim and in shape. I decided I wanted to lose a few inches from my thighs though. What I thought would be 1, 2 and 3 took a couple of months. Muscles do take a little longer to develop and especially to see because they start toning from the inside out. Even though you can't see it yet there's already a difference. For now just notice the small changes in the way you feel, the extra energy you have and the little itty bitty ways your body is becoming stronger. Look for the outside changes later so you don't get discouraged and give up.
  • boomtimebust
    Options
    I think the key to success for you is to reduce your cardio workouts a little, and replace them with some weight lifting...and I'm not talking about 5 pound weights either. Read the book, "The New Weightlifting Rules for Women". Then put what you read into practice. There are many, many women on this site who are doing that. (They many even have a discussion/support group.)

You may be what they call "skinny fat". Your weight is right, but too much of it is fat and not enough is muscle.

Thanks so much for the book recommendation, I'm honestly pretty lost when it comes to weight training. And yes, I'm definitely skinny fat.
    I'm in the same position too (only WAY less active) and have been going for 2 weeks losing 3 lbs the first week and none the second. It's so disheartening and just makes me feel like giving up and eating cake.

Best of luck to you! Keep up the good work and I believe things will start changing soon.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options

This. You aren't going to see big results every week because you don't have much (if any) to lose.

This x100.

Eat at maintenance calories, cut down the cardio, and lift lots of weights.
  • boomtimebust
    Options
    Best thing I can say is be patient. Toning up does take longer than losing fat. When I was younger I was always trim and in shape. I decided I wanted to lose a few inches from my thighs though. What I thought would be 1, 2 and 3 took a couple of months. Muscles do take a little longer to develop and especially to see because they start toning from the inside out. Even though you can't see it yet there's already a difference. For now just notice the small changes in the way you feel, the extra energy you have and the little itty bitty ways your body is becoming stronger. Look for the outside changes later so you don't get discouraged and give up.

Beautiful and positive advice. Thanks for your reply, it's much appreciated :)