Need some support from those who have been there

Options
Alright, I started this weight loss journey January 6th, 2013 after years of not doing anything about my weight. I am 5'4'' and I started at 305.8 and now am at 293. I gave up soda, coffee, junk food, well pretty much everything I used to put in my mouth. I now drink water, or Spark, and am learning to cook healthy meals. So far I got chicken mastered, (the only meat I will eat) But I am still craving food I used to eat. Its been two weeks, and I still want donuts, and chips. Not just a little craving, I get cranky and feel deprived and nothing takes the edge off. Normally that last a day and then I get over myself when I see the scale get lower by a tenth of a pound. However, what is really bothering me is seeing weight loss one day and not the next and I didn't do anything different.

I have done very little exercising as I hate it. Also, my hips begin to hurt after 2 minutes of walking, and my feet kill me after 5. I am eating 1570 calories a day, drinking a ton of water, and not seeing much in far of weight loss this week. How do I get rid of the desire to eat junk food? I know exercise will help, but quite frankly it hurts far too much right now. I have no desire to hobble around the house chasing four children and sleep like crap at night. Do I need to cut back on calories?

I want to loose 3 pounds a week. Or, 72 pounds by July. I really want to loose 150 pounds total, if not more depending on how I feel once I have lost the 150. I have support at home, my husband is amazing. We are changing our lifestyles together. But he has 10 pounds to loose, not nearly the same...

Replies

• krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    If you want this to be a lifestyle change, one that you can keep up after you've lost the weight you want, you need to incorporate all food into your food choices. If you really want chips, budget them into your daily cals. you'll also likely have long term success if you lose the weight at 2 lbs or less each week. 3 might happen at the beginning, but it's not sustainable nor is it really healthy.

If you cant get up and move, think about doing arm-only exercises. Sit and do punches, lift weights with your arms only, use exercise bands. There is plenty you can do without having to get up, however that should be in your long-term plan.

And, weigh yourself weekly, not daily. You won't be losing weight on a daily basis and may even have minor gains froms omething you ate the day before (ie high sodium).

Check out 'scoobys calculator' (google it) to find out how many cals you should be eating as it differs with everyone. I am eating over 2000/day because I'm very active but know that eating too few cals can derail your efforts.

ETA: congrats on your weight loss thus far! You've lost a huge amount in a short time so be proud of that. I would also add that you should take pictures on a regular basis (monthly or so) as well as measurements as the proof will be there as much or more than the scale
  • McChubbyruewho
    Options
    Unfortunatly it just takes time to get the junk cravings to stop, it will happen but it will take time. its so worth it thu just keep going, oh also the best way to cut the cravings is to cut the junk food, the more you eat it the more you will crave it
  • SchizJophrenic
    SchizJophrenic Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It takes a complete lifestyle change.
    Feel free to add me for support. :)
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    July 1st I started at 425 and at 301 as of last Saturday... Anyone is free to add me. I offer and take advice to/from anyone. Good luck with all your healthy goals.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Kalah7Renae12Vera Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to find an exercise that you can crave instead of the food. Walking is so boring to me, once a week I hit up Zumba with some girls and we have a BLAST. I was a HUGE carbivore, loved all the pastas, rice, bread, you name it... and while all my other eating habits were healthy the carbs were setting me back. I not longer crave carbs like I used to and I think it has to do with the exercise, before I put something in my mouth I think of how much its going to hurt to burn that off later and for the most part it keeps me from over indulging.
  • doitforabby
    doitforabby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Unfortunatly it just takes time to get the junk cravings to stop, it will happen but it will take time. its so worth it thu just keep going, oh also the best way to cut the cravings is to cut the junk food, the more you eat it the more you will crave it

Yep - time .... Its hard getting to that point, but there is no magic pill - it just takes time.
  • lightdiva1
    lightdiva1 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the support. I am not eating junk food, but the cravings aren't really going away. However, I am noticing an incredible amount of increased energy so that has been enough to keep me on track. I am having a hard time cutting back on the whole grain pasta, but its getting better. (when I remember to eat regularly)

I have hit a stall this week, which is frustrating as I added in exercise, (working out with 9yr old son to ShaunT fit kid club) and a very modified insanity work out with my husband. (I can't jump yet, but I can do push ups and march and little jumps) However, its that TOM, and as I researched I can expect to either stall in weight loss, or gain anywhere from 2-7 pounds. So I am upping my water intake from 160 fluid ounces to as much as possible.

Any things I am missing? I am struggling to eat regularly, but I think that will get better now that I set an alarm on my phone. (Light bulb this morning)

I am not craving sweets, just carbs, and not bad carbs. So I can see progress. One question, how do I get the ticker you all seem to have, and how to I make my food dairy public?
  • nogoldilocs
    nogoldilocs Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the support. I am not eating junk food, but the cravings aren't really going away. However, I am noticing an incredible amount of increased energy so that has been enough to keep me on track. I am having a hard time cutting back on the whole grain pasta, but its getting better. (when I remember to eat regularly)

I have hit a stall this week, which is frustrating as I added in exercise, (working out with 9yr old son to ShaunT fit kid club) and a very modified insanity work out with my husband. (I can't jump yet, but I can do push ups and march and little jumps) However, its that TOM, and as I researched I can expect to either stall in weight loss, or gain anywhere from 2-7 pounds. So I am upping my water intake from 160 fluid ounces to as much as possible.

Any things I am missing? I am struggling to eat regularly, but I think that will get better now that I set an alarm on my phone. (Light bulb this morning)

I am not craving sweets, just carbs, and not bad carbs. So I can see progress. One question, how do I get the ticker you all seem to have, and how to I make my food dairy public?

To make your diary public you go to My Home -->> Settings-->> Diary settings and then under diary, select "public"

I just want to commend you on the progress you are making. You seem to be working on all aspects of making yourself more healthy all at once and that can feel overwhelming at first. Sometimes it helps to break things down into smaller goals so that you can see progress more readily. For instance if you think "I need to loose 150 lbs" that's going to feel distant and unattainable. If you say instead "I'm going to exercise for 10 minutes, 3 times this week" or "I'm going to drink 8 glasses of water everyday this week", that is measureable and doable and when you can accomplish those things, you can continue with those goals until they become habit for you then you can set new ones.

I would also echo what some others have said about tracking your progress in ways other than by daily weight change. Weighing yourself every day can be frustrating because of so many factors that can affect your weight, separate from what you are eating. If you haven't done so already, take photos of yourself from all angles and measure every part of your body that you can get a measuring tape around. For those weeks when the scale does not go down, you will have other measures to look towards: have you lost inches, were you able to attain your eating or exercise goals, how do you feel etc.

It takes time to gain weight, it will take time to lose the weight. But if you stick with it, think about what you can see 6 months from now, even if you are not noticing every little change every single day.