Training for a half

Options
What tips do you live by in assisting YOUR completion of your first half marathon? Starting my training tomorrow and the half is in Traverse City MI in about 5 months. I work out with a personal trainer twice a week doing Crossfit and run on my between days. I would love to hear your motivation and success thoughts. Thanks in advance and you guys keep ROCKING! (jill)

Replies

• EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Start slow and easy, you have a ton of time! Don't overwork yourself. Have fun!!

Good luck!
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Ty!!!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Do you mean you're doing Crossfit two days a week, and running the other five? If so, give yourself at least one complete rest day a week--you need it to repair and build up the muscles you're stressing out from running. Depending on your fitness level, two days off might be better at first. That would mean only 3 days running in a week, which I'd consider the absolute minimum for half marathon training--4 or 5 is better, but you'd either have to reduce your cross training or double up--maybe an easy run before or after Crossfit.

There are tons of half marathon training plans online--look up Hal Higdon's beginner's program for a good start.

Don't know what your running background is, but if you're new to it, yes, do start slow! No, slower than that. Slow enough to sing or hold a conversation in complete sentences while you run. Endurance MUST be built first, before you worry about speed. If you want to change things up and get your body used to faster running, throw in the occasional fartlek--a short burst of speed every now and then, like, "I'm going to go fast from here to that streetlight, then drop back to an easy jog." Just a few for now.

Best of luck with your training! I'm training for my 6th half marathon now, and hope to build up to a 50K in Fall '13 or Spring '14.
  • robbienjill
    Options
    Ty! Been running for a few years. Forgot to mention that I do take 2days off a week for rest.
  • Zeeltje
    Zeeltje Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Over 5 weeks i will do my first half in Paris! I trained now for 6 months but i don't know if i will succeed. i am nervous about it! I october this year i will do another half and i hope that i will be faster than now! Goog luck!
  • robbienjill
    Options
    Good luck to u as well! Btw Paris would be cool!