Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Oats so simple

I love the oats so simple porridge flavoured sachets but noticed quite high in sugar and carbs.
I think I like these cos u can measure out te milk/water in te sachet it comes on.

Is there other porridge oats that I could have that would lower my sugar and carb intake.

Laura
Live in the uk xxx

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Plain jumbo or steel cut oats have no added sugar but you won't get oats with lower carbs, that is like wanting low carb bananas (which would be pretty great actually). If you use the jumbo or steel cut they take much longer to cook from dry so simply soak the oats in the milk overnight.

Or a lower carb alternative
    http://www.marmaladeandmileposts.com/archives/21240
    http://www.marmaladeandmileposts.com/archives/category/food/sane/breakfasts
  • TurangaLeela
    TurangaLeela Posts: 70 Member
    I made refrigerator oats last night and ate it for breakfast this morning. I took equal amounts of rolled oats and coconut milk (I can't drink regular milk) and put in some cinnamon and a touch of sugar, then stuck it in the fridge overnight. It was quite tasty.
  • irenematilda
    irenematilda Posts: 45 Member
    I like these for the same reason (not just because it's convenient, but because you're *supposed* to use the sachet to measure, and so I feel just like everybody else and not marked out as the weighing and measuring 'dieter' in the family :))

I eat the Asda own brand ones though, 'Simply Porridge' sachets, because they're miles cheaper and I actually think they taste better, but that last might just be me. Looking at some of these and the 'Oats So Simple' in the MFP database, the Asda ones are lower in carbs and sugar, so it might be worth switching to your supermarkets' own brand?
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Hi Laura, just get normal Scottish oats from a supermarket. Measure out a portion of oats, mix with twice the volume of milk/water (or less if you like it thick like me), and either cook on the hob or microwave (3 mins but stir regularly). Add fruit or sugar or syrup to sweeten.

edit: I like brown sugar and cinnamon or banana or blueberries or maple syrup
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Here is something to put you off, have you looked at the price per kilo for the Oat So Simple? They seem to run up from £6 a kilo to £17 a kilo on Asda, that is the price of quality meat! By contrast Smartprice porridge oats are just 80p a kilo.

Over at Tesco even the Jordans organic jumbo oats are only £2.70 a kilo, but on two for one until the 29th. Tesco own brand organic which IIRC are jumbo and won a taste award are £2.10 a kilo.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Hi, youll struggle to find 'steel cut oats' here in the uk but if you can grab them there fab tasting.

You can batch make standard rolled oats with water and freeze them, then microwave and throw some fruit on them in the morning when you want them.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Try Proats. I microwave 3/4 cup rolled oats in 1 cup of water for 2 minutes. Add in 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup milk and a little cinnamon. Takes all of about 3 minutes to make. Has about 38 grams of protein and about the same in carbs. Very delicious and about 400 calories.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Hi, youll struggle to find 'steel cut oats' here in the uk but if you can grab them there fab tasting.

You can batch make standard rolled oats with water and freeze them, then microwave and throw some fruit on them in the morning when you want them.
    I thought steel cut oats were a staple of the British Isles?? Particularly Scotland? BTW, they only take about 15 minutes to cook.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    I just cook up plain oats and then sweeten them with a bit of stevia and a flavoring/extract.

I keep a huge supply of different extracts/flavorings on hand; pumpkin pie, butterscotch, caramel, vanilla, chocolate, hazelnut, apple, rum, anise, pistachio, white chocolate, cinnamon, peppermint, almond, butter, coconut... etc.
  • roolmc
    roolmc Posts: 47
    Try a cross between TurangaLeela and mmapags's suggestion - refrigerator proatmeal!

I find a cup (80 g) of rolled oats mixed with a protein shake (1 scoop with 200 ml liquid) and left in the fridge overnight works really well. I sometimes add frozen berries (which defrost overnight) and/or cinnamon.

You might want to scale it down as it's quite a large bowl.
  • Hi Everybody, just to clarify, any oats that are not a whole oat are usually 'steel cut' oats, what else would the miller cut them in to smaller pieces with. It's a bit of a 'marketing' term that sounds very technical but really, they are all steel cut.
    Hope that helps.
    I have also noticed that Morrisons's are selling Mornflake Oats for 60p! I always find these the creamiest. Also their equivalent microwave sachets I've noticed in Tesco at 2 for £3!!
  • 1aurane
    1aurane Posts: 73 Member
    Hi Laura, just get normal Scottish oats from a supermarket. Measure out a portion of oats, mix with twice the volume of milk/water (or less if you like it thick like me), and either cook on the hob or microwave (3 mins but stir regularly). Add fruit or sugar or syrup to sweeten.

Me too!!! :smile:
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    My husband has porridge every morning for his breakfast.

Sainsburys Taste the Difference Oats are his preferred variety. (fussy, much!)

He just puts some in a dish, adds approx double the amount of water and microwaves for 3 minutes. Then spoils the healthiness by adding a squirt of golden syrup - but hey.

Much cheaper than the sachets - and no added 'stuff'.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    u get PLAIN OATS ! add some raisens in if u want ... the flavoured ones are packed with unnecessary junk
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Another vote for plain old oats, rather than the flavoured sachets.

My go-to breakfast is overnight Greek oats - oats mixed with Greek natural yoghurt, dried tropical fruit and a splodge of honey. Not really low-carb, but the sugars are largely natural and the yoghurt packs a protein punch.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    I have porridge for breakfast just about every day. I use the Morrisons quick and easy porridge oats, 30g of with 130ml of unsweetened soy milk...zapp in the microwave for 1 1/2 mins and add 11g of Tate and Lyle golden syrup...nom

My housemate has porridge every morning too but he has 50g of porridge to 200ml sweetened soy milk and a handful of dried fruit and some honey (zapp for 2 mins before adding fruit and honey)

So quick and simple to make. I have 2 boxes of Oat so Simple which I've had one packet out of each flavour, they just aren't the same as my own version of 'proper' oats. That and they just don't seem to fill me up as much either
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member

Agree.

Sometimes I don't understand people. Oats So Simple not so good for fat loss, it has a pre-set amount of sugar.

Why not buy a giant pack of oats for the same price/cheaper and add your own ingredients? It tastes better, it's better for you and it takes the same amount of time to make.
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    I'm a total convert to Flahavan's - Irish Porridge Oats less than £2 in adsa for a huge 3k bag! I have porridge made with oat bran usually but when Im not in a rush I have my Flahavan oats with skimmed milk banana and almonds!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    I much prefer the taste and texture of Sainsbury's So Organic - Scottish Porridge Oats. Just as quick to cook as the sachets and I find more filling.
    50 g of oats, 150ml skimmed milk, half teaspoon of sugar and a good slurp of evaporated milk (292 calories).
  • roolmc
    roolmc Posts: 47
    If you have the time this is the tastiest porridge I've ever had:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/nov/10/how-to-cook-perfect-porridge