need encourgement

Options
Please help, I need encourgement. I have been using myfitnesspal for a few weeks and while i am doing good at keeping track of my calorie intake I can not seem to find a way to get myself off my couch. I know that I should just do it, but I just have not. Is there anything you say to yourself to get off the couch and exercise. I do walk an hour five days a week at work but once i get home I jsut dont do it. Any ideas?

Replies

• tinytinam
    tinytinam Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Wow, it sounds like you are doing quite a bit already with one hours walking five days a week! There is a great book called Walking Fit, which helps you to get much more out of your walk. check it out and see what you think. I have found it very helpful. Also I find it helps me to think, well I only need to do 10 minutes. Even 10 minutes matters when it comes to exercise. Here its really went and cold and I dont want to to anything in the evenings either:yawn: so maybe we can encourage each other!!
  • amanda2570
    Options
    You are doing great with the walking which is more than I am managing. I hate exercise but I have started using my exercise bike whilst I'm watching TV which is helping to keep me motivated. Or maybe you could get a games console like a Nintentdo Wii which can be fun. keep you the good work. :wink:
  • phoenixiam
    phoenixiam Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think you are being too hard on yourself. You have been keeping track of your calories and you are walking an hour 5 days a week. Isn't that quite an improvement from what you were doing a few weeks ago before MFP? Kudos to you!!

As you add things on its ok to take it slow. No need to overwhelm yourself with too many changes at the same time.
    Tinavm's advice about 10 minutes is good advice.

Think about what you might like to do if you we're off the couch. When you come home do that thing first before sitting on the couch. Start with something small small and doable. (Yes that is hard when you are so tired from a long day at work). Then when you do sit on the couch you can relax and enjoy :) and eventually it will become a habit for you. Then you can add something else you would like to work on

You are doing a GREAT job!
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. To make it more interesting, maybe you could get one of those exercise trackers that tracks your activity all day long. My nieces both use them and it just makes it easier to track everything you do each day. If you add ten minutes of dancing to your favorite tunes, it will show up :)

Your exercise level is good. when you want to do more, you will. I just got an ap called 'couch to 5k' which guides me to get ready to run a 5k. It's fun. There is another one that involves zombies which the reviews I read claim is even more fun!

Finally, get some more friends and watch what they do every day. I find that really inspiring since I don't want to be a slouch. I notice what they do and encourage them and that sort of gets me going too. Get people like yourself who are working on what you are working on. The fellowship makes a huge difference for me, especially in getting me out of my recliner :)
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    One of the big things that motivates me is the "Success Stories" section of the message board. When I started out I read a few posts on there every morning and evening and especially on days when I didn't feel like getting out and exercising. It was (and still is) very encouraging to know you're not alone, that others are fighting the same battles and winning. Read the post. Look at the before and after photos. If they can do it, so can you.
  • blue6680
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. I am going to start with 10 more minutes everyday when I get home from work. Again thank you all:smile: