How vegan are you?

Options
MissTattoo
MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
http://m.guardiannews.com/commentisfree/2013/jan/16/vegans-stomach-unpalatable-tr. uth-quinoa

Does eating healthier and cruel free justify poverty?

It makes me wonder how many other health foods are related to something like this.

Is it better to just eat an egg or is it ok to create poverty for the sake of the animals?

I'm not trolling. My vegan friend on FB is devastated and is now on some mission to find out where all of his food comes from and how does it affect the local economy.

Do you think it's possible to better our lives /health without indirectly screwing someone else over?

Replies

• lyricalcandy1903
    Options
    That is a tough question! I like Quinoa, but I also eat meat, so it isn't a staple in my house, more of an occasional something different, along with basmati rice. There are no easy answers here I guess!
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    About as non vegan as it gets. I would eat adorable bunnies if they tasted good enough.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I would eat vegans if I could.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    About as non vegan as it gets. I would eat adorable bunnies if they tasted good enough.
    tumblr_m7u42cpevs1qck3u1_zpsb889b65b.gif
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m7u42cpevs1qck3u1_zpsb889b65b.gif

h602.gif
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options

FTR, Bunnies are delicious!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

FTR, Bunnies are delicious!

^This. They taste very yummy.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    First, that article is questionable. There have been articles disputing the claims.

Second, not all vegans eat quinoa and many omnivores eat quinoa.

Third, the majority of our food comes from third world farms with pitiful pay and unacceptable working conditions.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    7.54 on the vegcarn scale.
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I eat largely vegan because of it's health benefits and how good it makes me feel. I also believe it's more sustainable for the planet. The "cruelty" aspects is not really big on my list but I appreciate and respect that people find that so important and compelling.

I read that story about quinoa but then I also read a response to it that gives a different point of view: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2013/01/quinoa_bad_for_bolivian_and_peruvian_farmers_ignore_the_media_hand_wringing.html I hope maybe you will share it with your friend. Our food systems are all complicated and you can't really point to any one food as "good" or "bad"
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    eatinganimals.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Only vegans eat quinoa? Who knew!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Panda bears only eat eucalyptus, so why not vegans? :drinker:
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    This question sounds nonsensical. There aren't varying degrees of vegan. You either consume animal products or you don't. There are varying degrees of vegetarian, maybe you dont eat meat but you eat dairy or eggs. (Pescatarians eat fish, etc) But vegans don't eat any part of an animal or its byproduct.

That being said, I'm not any kind of vegetarian.
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    im being nice and not eating the food away from the animals :P
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I am 0% vegan.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I love adorable bunnies, but rabbit tastes effing amazing.
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It's true, that article title is incredibly stupid.

But we have to face facts: "ethical consumerism" is incredibly stupid and confounding it with veganism in an international publication is expert level trolling.

There's nothing ethical about our global economic system. Food prices in 2012 jumped 80% in 55 developing countries.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    This question sounds nonsensical. There aren't varying degrees of vegan. You either consume animal products or you don't. There are varying degrees of vegetarian, maybe you dont eat meat but you eat dairy or eggs. (Pescatarians eat fish, etc) But vegans don't eat any part of an animal or its byproduct.

That being said, I'm not any kind of vegetarian.

Actually, you're wrong. Vegans may not eat eggs, milk, meat, or honey, but there are other levels...are people who eat sugar processed with bone char vegan? Are people who drink wine or beer processed with fish bladder vegan? Are people who kill roaches vegan? Are people who use any sort of rubber (including tires), which is processed with animal fat vegan? Are people who take a medication prescribed by their doctor that may or may not contain animal products (and good luck finding out half the time) vegan?

For the OP: As others have said, that article is highly questionable. One of many issues is the environmental and economic issues caused by growing crops to feed to "livestock" or to graze "livestock," is only discussed in a single sentence, but is in fact a major issue effecting far more people than quinoa shortages. For example, the author barely mentions the destruction of equatorial forests for cattle grazing. Also, at least in the U.S., low-level jobs in the meat, poultry, and dairy industry exploit poor workers, who are often illegal immigrants and the poorest of the poor from our own country. Exploitation, massive inequality, and environmental degradation are all unfortunate, but trying to heap those things squarely on the backs of vegans is laughable.

The truth sad truth is, much of what we eat, buy, and otherwise consume, healthy or not, necessary for life or not, is linked to some sort of exploitation. Your friend's goal is honorable, and I wish him/her the best of luck in his search. If most people made even a little effort along these lines, the world would be a better place.