??AFTERBURN?? Do you think this is good advice?

Options
Was reading the information on this page and I wanna try it! What do you guys think??

Here I am trying to do an hour on the eplitical and 30 mins on treadmill thinking I was doing great...when all along there could be a much better way of fat-burning

http://www.nowloss.com/the-best-weight-loss-exercise-routines-is-intervals.htm

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    That's how I train and I haven't been disappointed. I'm not losing 2-4 lbs/week, but that would be unrealistic for anyone with not a lot to lose regardless of how they exercise.
  • Killeen_bride2be
    Options
    It seems like a shorter version of HILT,(example treadmill) with hilt you get to the speed where you heart rate is at it's highest and you are really feeling the burn, stay doing that for 30sec(work your way up to 1-2 min) then slow way down to rest but not stopped for 30sec then do it over and over again for 10min
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    It's not called HILT. It's called H.I.I.T. High Intensity Interval Training.

Look up a protocol called Tabata. Same thing.
  • Killeen_bride2be
    Options

opps I messed up one letter, and forgot the periods. I first ever heard of it on the getting in shape boards on the knot so excuse me, that is how they had it typed
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    Intervals work GREAT for me. I do a jump rope thing where i jump rope for a period, than move/march on the sport for a period, then back to jumping. means I go harder each time, cos its only for a short burst!
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    HIIT is definitely the way to go :)

Give this one a try...someone else on here posted it already but it's worthy of a re-post. I thought I was in decent shape and this KICKED my BUTT!!! :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/90020-quick-cardio-workout-that-requires-only-you
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Someone else on here had posted videos that were on YouTube of a BBC special on health myths/truths. They scientifically proved that after ANY cardio workout, the body continues to burn MORE calories than what was burned during the workout, for 22 hours after. It was really worth watching and had a lot of really interesting facts. I wish I could remember the post.

Intervals are really great though! :flowerforyou:

It was called '10 Things You Need To Know About Losing Weight'.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I've looked into Tabata, but frankly, I don't think I have it in me. At least not at this point.

Perhaps once I'm more physically fit...

I think my fellow gym-goers would be displeased if I vomited in the weight room.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options

opps I messed up one letter, and forgot the periods. I first ever heard of it on the getting in shape boards on the knot so excuse me, that is how they had it typed

Hey.....I wasn't saying that in a mean tone so don't take it that way. :noway:

:huh:

This is a learning forum and I want to make sure that everyone gets the right information.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    I've looked into Tabata, but frankly, I don't think I have it in me. At least not at this point.

Perhaps once I'm more physically fit...

I think my fellow gym-goers would be displeased if I vomited in the weight room.

Oh yeah....it's gnarly! I feel like my lungs are going to shrivel up and die and my legs are JELLLLOOOOOO! I throw it in once or twice a week. I do it on the bike.

It's supposedly equivilent to 45 min of cardio so why not.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I think HIIT training is fantastic, but you don't want it to be your everyday training method, there is still nothing wrong with hitting the treadmill for a nice run or spinning on a bike that isn't HIIT. I throw HIIT training into my workouts 2x's a week.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    There is a new workout DVD coming out in June/July based on H.I.I.T called Turbo Fire. The trainer is Chalene Johnson who created Turbo Jam and ChaLEAN Extreme which a lot of people on here have done. I am definitely going to do Turbo Fire when it comes out. Intervals are extremely effective and I LOVE Chalene. She is very motivating to me.
    Risa