Thinking of becoming Pescatarian

Options
Now I'm 24 years old and I'm thinking of becoming Pescatarian. I want to know people's opinions about this since this will be big lifestyle change for me. I'm the type of person that when I pursue something, I go all the way so I want to investigate every facet of becoming a pescatarian so I don't set myself up for failure or becoming miserable. I know that I don't want to be a full vegan nor vegetarian. I do like eating meat but much less now than when I was younger as I have discovered many ways to cook healthy and tasty food without (chicken, beef or pork). I don't want to sacrifice not having enough protein or spending a significant time planning my meals to make sure I'm getting all the essential amino acids (I'm a very busy medical student), and I like fish hence the decision of becoming a Pescatarian. I want to know your opinions about this. Feel free to share share your experiences, and struggles related to this kind of lifestyle change. Thank you in advance

Replies

• Jojo42
    Jojo42 Posts: 223
    Options
    I'm a pescatarian and have been since I was 16 (28years ago!)

I adore seafood and fish and don't enjoy the taste of meat so it was an easy decision for me.

Go for it, nothing's written in stone, if it's not right for you then you can shake it up again.
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Even though its not for me it seems like the best diet out there.
  • katnord
    katnord Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I became Pescatarian at 24 too. (Six years ago now!) I love it. I didn't like most meat, so it was easy for me. I do like fish, and other seafood, and still wanted a diet that was easy to adapt to and explain to people. I've never had trouble sticking to it, and don't ever have meat cravings. The times it has gotten awkward is at holidays and large gatherings when lots of people bring meat, and people feel the need to comment on me not eating it. Or ask me what in the world I eat anyway. The best thing I've done in situations like this is to make a really delicious dish to bring (and lots of it) then I know I will have something to eat, and people are less likely to ask me stupid questions about my diet choice. (It's usually the first thing gone too!) Good luck!
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I became Pescatarian at 24 too. (Six years ago now!) I love it. I didn't like most meat, so it was easy for me. I do like fish, and other seafood, and still wanted a diet that was easy to adapt to and explain to people. I've never had trouble sticking to it, and don't ever have meat cravings. The times it has gotten awkward is at holidays and large gatherings when lots of people bring meat, and people feel the need to comment on me not eating it. Or ask me what in the world I eat anyway. The best thing I've done in situations like this is to make a really delicious dish to bring (and lots of it) then I know I will have something to eat, and people are less likely to ask me stupid questions about my diet choice. (It's usually the first thing gone too!) Good luck!

Sounds good. I'm curious as to what people usually comment about your diet choice. As far as I know, a lot of people are vegetarians and that seems like a widely known diet (does not need explanation). Pescatarian is even more lenient than that.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Now I'm 24 years old and I'm thinking of becoming Pescatarian. I want to know people's opinions about this since this will be big lifestyle change for me. I'm the type of person that when I pursue something, I go all the way so I want to investigate every facet of becoming a pescatarian so I don't set myself up for failure or becoming miserable. I know that I don't want to be a full vegan nor vegetarian. I do like eating meat but much less now than when I was younger as I have discovered many ways to cook healthy and tasty food without (chicken, beef or pork). I don't want to sacrifice not having enough protein or spending a significant time planning my meals to make sure I'm getting all the essential amino acids (I'm a very busy medical student), and I like fish hence the decision of becoming a Pescatarian. I want to know your opinions about this. Feel free to share share your experiences, and struggles related to this kind of lifestyle change. Thank you in advance.

A pescatarian eats seafood, but not other meats. You might also include eggs and dairy.

This might help. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pescetarianism
    BTW, the article includes a list of famous pescetarians, including one Royal: Queen Sofia of Spain.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    it should be easy if you like fish. Only problem I can see is that you're a student and sometimes seafood can get expensive depending on where you live. You also need some good supplies if you want to cook it well so it tastes better.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I mentioned this in another similar thread, but the only downside to going pescetarian is that if you eat too much wild fish, you risk ingesting high levels of mercury, but you'll get plenty of omega 3's. If you eat farmed fish, you'll need to supplement with omega-3s because farmed fish are high in omega 6 fatty acids and deficient in 3.

it's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of thing.

however, if you do your research and focus on only eating sustainably farmed or caught fish, you'll be ok - but that may cost you more money too.
  • katnord
    katnord Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Sounds good. I'm curious as to what people usually comment about your diet choice. As far as I know, a lot of people are vegetarians and that seems like a widely known diet (does not need explanation). Pescatarian is even more lenient than that.

Probably a lot of the same comments vegetarians get. People will ask you Why?! Then probably say something along the lines of "I could never give up steak!" and "Don't you miss bacon!?" I get a lot of people telling me it's too hard to get protein even when I am eating seafood (not true at all). My mom, especaly is obsessed with the protein thing. There have been a couple people that have felt the need to take big mouthful bites of their meat right in front of me and go "UMMMM" while they chew it. Mostly it has been family or friend gatherings.

Socially and professionally I haven't had much of a problem at all. I don't generally mention being Pescatarina, and most people I work with and see social don't realize I eat any differently than "healthy." If I get invited over to dinner to a place where I don't know the people very well, I say something along the lines of "I'll bring something vegetarian, since I don't eat meat" as a kind of polite way of letting them know.
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I mentioned this in another similar thread, but the only downside to going pescetarian is that if you eat too much wild fish, you risk ingesting high levels of mercury, but you'll get plenty of omega 3's. If you eat farmed fish, you'll need to supplement with omega-3s because farmed fish are high in omega 6 fatty acids and deficient in 3.

it's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of thing.

however, if you do your research and focus on only eating sustainably farmed or caught fish, you'll be ok - but that may cost you more money too.

You have raised a very good point. I've already started looking at the prices of fish if I decided to eat it in exchange of any other meats. It's pretty expensive but workable. I thought about substituting fish with other sources of meats some other days to lower the cost (tofu, cheese, eggs, etc.)
  • ohnancy
    ohnancy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My daughter started this after watching some documentaries and she is getting her protein from seafood, dairy, eggs and beans. She is in college, so the cost is not an issue (she's on a meal plan). You can also get a lot of protein from grains, quinoa in particular. Just remember to rinse it well before cooking. Combine quinoa with lentils and you will get plenty of protein for very little money. Good luck!
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    This is my take. At least. if you are eating things like trout, salmon and tuna. But if you are going for catfish and tilapia, that would be equvalent of eating meat... Bad fats.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    This is my take. At least. if you are eating things like trout, salmon and tuna. But if you are going for catfish and tilapia, that would be equvalent of eating meat... Bad fats.
    Bad fats?