`Kidology`

Options
Does `kidology` work....

Example if you put your food on a smaller plate...will you put out a smaller portion?

Will you think you have got more to eat because it fills the plate up more?

Will you feel fuller for longer because you thought your plate was full and you ate loads???

Do you try to kid (lie) to your brain that you are eating lots when you are eating less???

What works for you???

Replies

• WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I don't do the smaller plate thing but I do have heaps of vegetables to give myself a huge dinner on diet calories.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    The smaller plate definitely works for some things, like pasta dishes. We have these shallow bowls that work great for a small salad, but I usually use them for serving spaghetti. Two things...they are way smaller than our dinner plates and since they are bowls the sides turn up which contains the pasta unlike a big plate where it sprawls out and you end up adding more to make the pile of noodles higher!

I wouldn't say I feel full longer, but now that I have been at this for 2 years and am pretty much maintaining now, it made me realize that the portion I serve in the smaller plate is enough food to satisfy me for that meal time!
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I've done this before and it did work. I have a great day but dinner time I always "feel" like I'm starving. I know that I eat too much at night and I eat larger portions than I should. Oddly enough I set the table for dinner about 10 min ago and I decided to use a smaller plate for me. I think you need to try it and see how you feel about it.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    That would not work for me. And I thought this was about children somehow, not fibbing, at first.
    But, I have tried to trick my brain. My brain won't even work for rewards. Sigh. My brain makes things difficult on me.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I portion and stick to it, although I am interested in the idea of eating off crazy colored plates. Apparently if you have a clashing color to your food on your plate you tend to eat less... definitely want to try it out and see if it works.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I don't do the smaller plate thing but I do have heaps of vegetables to give myself a huge dinner on diet calories.

Oh yep the vegatablles
    really fill the little plate

I have even put half a cube of choc on a whole little plate of its own to see what the difference is :laugh:
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    The smaller plate definitely works for some things, like pasta dishes. We have these shallow bowls that work great for a small salad, but I usually use them for serving spaghetti. Two things...they are way smaller than our dinner plates and since they are bowls the sides turn up which contains the pasta unlike a big plate where it sprawls out and you end up adding more to make the pile of noodles higher!

I wouldn't say I feel full longer, but now that I have been at this for 2 years and am pretty much maintaining now, it made me realize that the portion I serve in the smaller plate is enough food to satisfy me for that meal time!

so you think now the kidology thing works? Personally I do, the smaller plates filled with stuff makes you feel like you got lots and lots of food...but the fuller for longer...yep I think it takes times?????
  • mrsmschn99
    Options
    I do it for things like pasta dishes as well and it tends to work for me... but when it comes to veggies i just eat them on my regular plate.... I also just try to eat till im not hungry-not till im full.... between those two things its working so far! Now just to up the excersize! i want this baby weight OFF :)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Well my eight year old keeps dropping the plates when she's unloading the dishwasher so we'll soon find out! :P I usually just weigh everything on my scale then I know what I'm eating and no smaller plate is necessary. After awhile you get pretty good at realizing how big a portion is.
  • ginastone2
    ginastone2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use smaller plates not only because it looks like I have more, but also because it helps me portion better. I wouldn't say it helps me feel fuller longer though. What I try to do to help that along is to eat more foods that have lots of fiber, like carrots, apples, etc. That is what does the trick for me for hunger.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

so you think now the kidology thing works? Personally I do, the smaller plates filled with stuff makes you feel like you got lots and lots of food...but the fuller for longer...yep I think it takes times?????

I feel like it works for me because the plate is more visually appealing when the food is "piled" higher rather than sprawled out!
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The smaller plate thing definitely works. I am currently using luncheon plates as my dinner plates. They are about 8". Our bowls only fit 1 cup cereal with milk. Using those my son has lost 6 pounds, and I lose about 1 pound a week. The average size plate is now 12" - 30% larger than they used to be. I wasn't tracking my food as well as I should have been and my mother bought me new dinnerware. The plates are the standard 12" and the bowls hold 4 cups of cereal. Just from using those both my son and I starting gaining weight. I went back to the smaller plates and for me it helps.
  • Gwilson939
    Gwilson939 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My health plan has preportioned cereal and one package of cereal and 1/2 of Silk PureAlmond Milk fits in my grandson's Spiderman bowl perfectly. That counts as one meal, and it works for that meal. I went to BigLots and purchased a handful of small plates, smaller than dinner plates but bigger than saucers. So far, so good, although my 2 cups of broccoli fits it wall to wall, without the protein. If I use bigger plates, I seem to want bigger helpings. Frankly, I can polish off a bigger bowl or plate of just about anything, so the smaller plates are working for me... One thing to remember is to eat slowly, and even on a small plate, don't let your foods touch each other. I don't follow this advice myself, but it's one trick that I have learned works for many people.

Gloria