Mystery cramps... please help!

Options
I have been attending a boot camp style class for a while now, and have never had any real issues whilst taking it (other then the sweating and the swearing!) but tonight my calf muscles kept cramping on and off and felt really tight (!?) there were times that I had to take time out of the workout before I was able to continue, which is not something I want to be doing on a regular basis! There were no new movements/ exercises included that I can blame for this. I drank plenty of water throughout the day and was sufficiently hydrated. I am stumped!

Any suggestions about what could be causing this and/or how I can prevent it? I would rather that it didn't happen again!

Replies

• OkRebeccaJay
    OkRebeccaJay Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Anyone?? I have bootcamp again tomorrow and want to do everything I can to NOT have this happen again :(
  • want2lose20now
    want2lose20now Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Not sure...maybe lacking potassium? Bananas, are supposed to be good for this. Good luck!
  • lythia19
    Options
    Make sure you aren't dehydrated. Eat foods with potassium and magnesium and it should help with the cramps
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Make sure you aren't dehydrated. Eat foods with potassium and magnesium and it should help with the cramps
    THIS
  • GLGCORP
    Options
    need more salt
  • banana47
    banana47 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Take magnesium. I suffer with cramps at Yoga especially when stretching.
  • iryshjones
    iryshjones Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    potassium !! you are drinking enough water but sweating that much depletes your electrolites ... try something like gatorade - but one with low sugar.
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    if i'm feeling crampy, i use a salt substitute called nu-salt. you find it next to the other salts at the grocery store. I take like 1/2 tsp with water. it tastes nasty but has potassium in it. also look at a magnesium supplement.

boot camps make you sweat, and you sweat out all your salts, hence why sweat tastes salty. need to replace your electrolytes. another thing i have found is pedialyte, dilute that with water ( you can go half/half or 1part pedialyte to 3 parts water) and drink it during your work out to replace your electrolytes. I find plain and grape to be the best tasting.

its also great for a hangover - bartender secret ;)
  • OkRebeccaJay
    OkRebeccaJay Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    great advice, thanks :) will eat a banana and try a drink to replenish electrolytes rather than just drinking water - I will look into getting more magnesium into my diet, or a magnesium supplement if needs be. Thanks everyone who replied, you are super helpful and I'm very grateful :)