Always hungry..

Options
seriously, I feelhungry all the time...Its always around 5pm-9pm...I feel like I could eat a darn cow...What is going on with me:(?...i drink a ton of water everyday...What else can I do?

Replies

• yankeefamily05
    Options
    It could be from boredom...But I sincerly feel hungry..And I always have a craving for chocolate..(humph)..lol....
    I eat a ton of fiber....Its just been really bad tonight..Maybe its because I switched my plate to a smaller one to try and eat less...
  • amtrust
    amtrust Posts: 178
    Options
    Increase fiber. The Fiber One 90 calorie bars are really good.

I also love the Green Giant steamed green beans with almonds (frozen food section).

Have a little protein throughout the day.

Best wishes!
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Try more protein and/or more fiber. Those things help you feel satiated better and longer :)

Good luck!
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    If anything i go OVER on my protein everyday.....
  • PapaPolarBear
    PapaPolarBear Posts: 459
    Options
    the after dinner hunger, i hate it. I usually make some air popped popcorn and snack on that at night, it's usually only around 20 calories per cup.
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    Yeah..So true...That is probably it..Im a huge emotional eater also..I have had a VERY stressful day so I am sure that doesnt help. I am used to siting in front of the tv and gorging myself:)
  • FuerImmerStark
    Options
    eat a really big fiber-filled breakfast, but don't forget to drink, drink, drink water!!
  • dbhagat
    dbhagat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    you may want to get your fasting blood sugars checked ( I am a physician). Try to keep away from carbs as they increase insulin levels in the body and that in turn stimulates hunger.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    If anything i go OVER on my protein everyday.....

this is fine because MFP has the levels for protein set very low. Protein is your best friend for eliminating true hunger pangs...won't help in the category of emotional eating though...:ohwell:

Go Protein!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    double post :blushing:
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    Hello,
    you may want to get your fasting blood sugars checked ( I am a physician). Try to keep away from carbs as they increase insulin levels in the body and that in turn stimulates hunger.

Do you know how much a simple blood test for that would cost?.... When I was pregnnat with my daughter I failed the 1 hour and had to do the 3 hour glucose test and I was this close to failling it.....It was quite high.
  • ryoung25
    ryoung25 Posts: 5
    Options
    I used to be hungry all the time also when I would diet. It made it so difficult to lose weight. I have made the following changes and it has been the key to losing weight.
    1 - Make breakfast your biggest meal of the day (30-40% of daily calorie total)
    2 - Make dinner your smallest meal (about 20-25% of daily calories). Also, eat mostly protein and nurtient dense vegetables. Do not eat higher carbs foods like rice, pasta and bread at dinner.
    3 - Do not snack between meals. This does not allow your stomach to empty the food and you never really burn from fat stores if you always have food in your belly.
    4 - Elimanate refined sugars from your diet (sugar from milk and fruit is okay)
    5 - Do not use sweetners like equal, instead use natural sweetners like Purevia or Stevia
    6 - Eliminate as many processed foods from your diet as possible. Most processed foods are low in nurtients that your body needs. Your body alot of nutrients and it is hard enough to get them when you eat normally. When you diet, you are getting even less nutrients. This could be the real reason you are hungry. Eat more fruit, veggies and organic foods like milk, eggs, yogurt. Kashi cereal is a great cereal because it is high in fiber and is made from whole grains.
    7 - Do not drink a bunch of water when you eat food. This only makes your stomach bigger to allow for the food and water. Drink the water between meals and only drink water or milk (no fruit juices).
    8 - Do not eat within 3 hours of bedtime. If you stomach is empyt when you fall asleep, you will burn fat while you are sleeping. If you have food in your stomach, it will be converted to fat.
    9 - Excercise, excercise excercise. This is the absolute key to losing weight. If you have ever watched the biggest loser, you see what excercise does. Excercise also helps curb your appettite. I tend to come home after work, eat something light for dinner and head off to the gym for my workout. I then come home (AND DO NOT EAT) and go to bed a couple of hours later.

Doing all this has helped me lose over 30 lbs in about 6 weeks. I am rarely hungry and i feel so much better.

Hope all this helps.
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    I dont get this that often anymore but you know what is really filling and great for you?? Raw Broccoli. Seriously. Fiberous carbs and super low calories for the volume you can consume to make you full. I ate 1 1/2 cups last night because I had this hunger that just wouldn't go away. I was full and totally guilt free.
  • MattySparky
    Options

8 - Do not eat within 3 hours of bedtime. If you stomach is empyt when you fall asleep, you will burn fat while you are sleeping. If you have food in your stomach, it will be converted to fat.

Not true,

it takes at least 6 hours for food in your stomach to even get half way through it's journey in your intestines where the action happens. The whole "Going to bed with food in your stomach is bad" thing is a myth and not something you should be giving out as advice.
  • MattySparky
    Options

3 - Do not snack between meals. This does not allow your stomach to empty the food and you never really burn from fat stores if you always have food in your belly.

Ok, now you're just making stuff up. You're making me laugh. Food is not absorbed in your stomach and the food in your stomach has absolutely no bearing on your body's ability to burn fat etc. Where do you get this stuff from?
  • yankeefamily05
    Options

Ok, now you're just making stuff up. You're making me laugh. Food is not absorbed in your stomach and the food in your stomach has absolutely no bearing on your body's ability to burn fat etc. Where do you get this stuff from?

Good thing i dont listen to everything i read on the internet LOL......I have to snack in between meals..if not, I am STARVING by the time a meal comesaround...
  • MattySparky
    Options
    There is a good reason many people take their caloric needs and spread it out over the course of the day. It comes down to your metabolism. The more often you feed, the better off your metabolism is (keeping within the limits of your caloric and nutritional needs that is). I think it's funny when people try and give the advice about how food in the stomach while sleeping is somehow making you pack on pounds. TOTAL BULL. I actually drink casein before bed because of the fact that I typically go 8 hours without eating while sleeping. Keep eating those healthy snacks girl. Boost that metabolism and drink lots of water too.
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this ever happens to you or if you notice you're even hungrier on days where you don't snack. I find when I skip snacks or even worse a meal then I am starving all night and tend to fall of my game plan. I have a very busy lifestyle and it took me a few weeks before I noticed what I was doing wrong. Now I always carry a Zone protein bar with me in case I get to busy to pause and make a real meal/snack. For the most part I have noticed eatting 3 moderately sized meals and two snacks seems to keep me feeling satisfied.
    The only other big thing I have done is I gave up all soda and all artificial sweeteners. I've noticed my chocolate cravings have deminished significantly:wink:
    Hope this helps, Good luck!!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    A couple things for the chocolate cravings...
    I'm a fan of the new chocolate cheerios... I don't eat them with milk, I just eat them dry, one at a time. They're chocolatey and have fiber.
    Also - the Skinny Cow Chocolate Fudge Brownie ice cream is really good (just ate a single serve cup) - 150 calories, 2 g fat, 4 g fiber, 70mg sodium.

Make sure that you're eating plenty of fruits and veggies throughout the day. Snack on apples, broccoli, cauliflower... can you eat too much of these? Yeah - I'm sure you can... but if I'm going to go over my calories on any given day - I'd prefer to go over by eating too many fruits and veggies. LOL

If you are making good food choices - you won't be as hungry because you'll constantly be eating. When I'm eating "correctly" (ie - focusing on the nutrition, not just calories) - I'm rarely hungry. I say rarely because I think we all have occasional days when nothing will fill us up. Snack!!! Snack often. I eat 5-6 times a day and I've lost 4-5 pant sizes since February.

Make sure that you're not eating a lot of refined sugar... and I also try to stay away from most artifical sweeteners too - they tend to make you crave more sweets. Some sugar is ok...but limit it.

You can do this!!!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options

I can always count on you to call it out when it happens... I was thinking the same thing. I don't buy into all the "tricks and tips". I eat when I'm hungry... I exercise, I drink my water and I do my best to make good decisions... guess what? It works! Whodathunkit?