What do you think of this exercise bike?

CM9178
CM9178 Posts: 1,251 Member
I'm thinking about getting a bike to start doing some kind of cardio at home. I came across this one which is highest rated on Amazon and right within my budge:

http://www.amazon.com/Exerpeutic-Folding-Magnetic-Upright-Pulse/dp/B007595TKU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=382LQFM8U1LVI&coliid=IV9QR3336WKLA

Anybody have this bike or experience with it? I'm interested in the pulse monitor feature.. I'm also worried that I may be just too short (I'm 5'2" and it says 5'3").

Any input, opinions or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

Replies

• nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    definitel th bes fo you budge. g fo i.
  • CM9178
    anybody else?
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    I have a folding semi recumbant bike from Exerpeutic. I'm 5' 2" and have no issues with it,in fact I had to move the seat off of the lowest setting to be comfortable. The pulse monitor is fairly accurate but not 100% vs an HRM if you grip it tightly it gives erroneous results
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    personally, I wish I had an elliptical at home.. i have an aerodyne bike, but since I've joined the gym I find ellipticals burn more calories, and I can use them longer than bikes without getting bored..
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Hey there -

Pros:
    * Fits your budget
    * In home cardio

Cons:
    * You may outgrow this machine - strength wise
    * Sturdiness/reliability
    * You may get bored with doing only one form of cardio

I would do a comparison with what it takes to join the closest gym which has people, various weight and cardio machines.

My experience:

1) I purchased a cheaper elliptical probably under $500 (which was alot of money for me when I purchased it). THe machine seemed solid however after I used it a few times it loosened up and started to squeak really bad. I hate that machine. You get what you pay for.

2) Let's just say you found an awesome commercial grade bike off craigslist and say you paid $500 - if you compared that to 12 mos gym time that would equate to $42/mos. Which would you enjoy more - riding alone in your home or going to a gym?

3) For me - I live in the country so it would take me 60 minutes round trip driving only to go to the gym. I'm just not going to do that. So I purchased some commercial grade equipment off craigslist and use almost daily and LOVE it. Sometimes you have to spend outside your comfort zone if you can justify the expense.

Good luck!
  • CM9178
    Hey there -

Pros:
    * Fits your budget
    * In home cardio

Cons:
    * You may outgrow this machine - strength wise
    * Sturdiness/reliability
    * You may get bored with doing only one form of cardio

I would do a comparison with what it takes to join the closest gym which has people, various weight and cardio machines.

My experience:

1) I purchased a cheaper elliptical probably under $500 (which was alot of money for me when I purchased it). THe machine seemed solid however after I used it a few times it loosened up and started to squeak really bad. I hate that machine. You get what you pay for.

2) Let's just say you found an awesome commercial grade bike off craigslist and say you paid $500 - if you compared that to 12 mos gym time that would equate to $42/mos. Which would you enjoy more - riding alone in your home or going to a gym?

3) For me - I live in the country so it would take me 60 minutes round trip driving only to go to the gym. I'm just not going to do that. So I purchased some commercial grade equipment off craigslist and use almost daily and LOVE it. Sometimes you have to spend outside your comfort zone if you can justify the expense.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input.. I don't think I'm going to outgrow anything strength wise.. honestly, I probably won't use this more than 3 times a week if I'm lucky. That is a big reason why I didn't want to spend over $200 - if I end up using it a few times and then it gets put in a closet, I didn't waste $500, you know? Also, if it isn't that sturdy for the long term, again not a huge investment, so not a big deal to me. I understand that something this cheap may not last a really long time, but I'm fine with that.

the option of joining the gym is not an option for many, many reasons. Big reason is that the "closest" gym is at least a 20 to 30 minute drive from my home - so that isn't going to happen. I also do not have the money to pay for a gym membership - which is a contract/ commitment, so if I don't go, I'm still out all of that money. In the long term for me, spending under $200 on this bike is better than paying god knows how much to join a gym that is too far from my house, over crowded - and I'd never go. (I also don't like working out in front of other people).

I'd much rather prefer to have SOME form of exercise at home, that way I can do it whenever I have a spare few minutes - rather than allowing 2 hrs to go to the gym and back - if not longer (the gym is so over crowded, I'd probably have to wait at least 30 minutes to even get ON an bike or treadmill - there is a waiting list when you walk in).

That being said - i doubt I'd get tired of one form of cardio - I used to have a treadmill and used it very frequently and I never got tired of it - I ended up getting rid of it when I moved into a different apartment because I didn't have the space for it - otherwise, I'd still have it now - and I'd still be using it..

I guess I was more looking for people who have experience with bikes - to see if they thought this was an ok one to get..I already know I want to get a bike, just not sure which, it isn't a matter of deciding if I want a bike or not.. But thanks!
  • CM9178
    I have a folding semi recumbant bike from Exerpeutic. I'm 5' 2" and have no issues with it,in fact I had to move the seat off of the lowest setting to be comfortable. The pulse monitor is fairly accurate but not 100% vs an HRM if you grip it tightly it gives erroneous results

That is good to hear! Thanks!
  • kitten992107
    kitten992107 Posts: 27 Member
    Checkout kijijiji
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    I would try to find one that I could use (a friend or gym) and see if it was what I really wanted before purchasing. I have yet to find a bike I can comfortably sit on for any length of time, which is why I use a treadmill.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    My comments in no particular order
    -you may have an issue with height; consider a recumbent bike because if you are too short for it, you can stick a firm cushion behind you to move you closer
    -a recumbent bike means if you put it on the toughest setting, you have no option to use your weight to move the pedal - it's all leg power.
    -the more you have to bend your knees, the tougher it is
    -a recumbent bike means you can use your hands for other things like holding a book
  • CM9178
    My comments in no particular order
    -you may have an issue with height; consider a recumbent bike because if you are too short for it, you can stick a firm cushion behind you to move you closer
    -a recumbent bike means if you put it on the toughest setting, you have no option to use your weight to move the pedal - it's all leg power.
    -the more you have to bend your knees, the tougher it is
    -a recumbent bike means you can use your hands for other things like holding a book
    I've read that a recumbent bike is easier to not work hard on because you can sit and read a book. I've already decided that I want an upright bike. I used to ride a regular bike outdoors all the time, and definitely prefer upright to recumbent.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member

I've read that a recumbent bike is easier to not work hard on because you can sit and read a book.

Depends how you look at it. How much would I burn if I was bored and didn't use the bike vs sitting on a recumbent bike and reading a book like I do? :D It's one of my most-used pieces of equipment.

Plus, as I say, and most importantly for me, I can't put my weight into it to make it easier. I set it to the maximum difficulty and have to use my thighs to push - with a normal bike, you can just stand up and let your weight move the pedal downward.
  • CM9178

I've read that a recumbent bike is easier to not work hard on because you can sit and read a book.

Depends how you look at it. How much would I burn if I was bored and didn't use the bike vs sitting on a recumbent bike and reading a book like I do? :D It's one of my most-used pieces of equipment.

Plus, as I say, and most importantly for me, I can't put my weight into it to make it easier. I set it to the maximum difficulty and have to use my thighs to push - with a normal bike, you can just stand up and let your weight move the pedal downward.
    Or you could just not stand up and use it the way it is intended..plus I don't think particular bike would allow you to stand up.