Shakes

Options
So I've been thinking about trying shakes for a while. I am finishing up my last few months of my undergrad coursework and eating healthy while in school has always been a major challenge. I'm wondering what kinds of powders you'd recommend. I'm new to this and what something that is going to satisfy me and tastes good! Any recommendations?

Replies

• stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    For what purpose? Meal replacement? Dessert?

Ingredients and measurements can change based on these.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    they will give u the runs. Try fruit and veggies or make a soup
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    depends on if you want to make them at home or have pre-packaged shakes. there are a million, and they vary dramatically in quality and cost. just do your research.

as for doing it at home - it's the cheapest and it's really easy. protein powder, fruit, peanut butter, nuts, veggies, chia seeds, flax, coconut oil - really whatever you wanna throw in there.

In my crazy days i even threw raw eggs in 'em. gross.
  • emilypurplefrog
    emilypurplefrog Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I would like to use them for meal replacement. In the morning or for lunch or after a workout. I would like to lose weight and tone. I'm not really interested in lifting just yet.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Get a good protein powder, chocolate, two tablespoons of peanut butter, a 1/2 a banana and some water and crushed ice, blend well.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Get a good protein powder, chocolate, two tablespoons of peanut butter, a 1/2 a banana and some water and crushed ice, blend well.
    this
  • emilypurplefrog
    Options
    Thanks so much for the input! Any suggestions on what brand I should get? I want to lose weight and want something under $30.

Are there any brands that you can think of right off the bat that is good for weightless and fairly priced for a college student on a slight budget.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Thanks so much for the input! Any suggestions on what brand I should get? I want to lose weight and want something under $30.

Are there any brands that you can think of right off the bat that is good for weightless and fairly priced for a college student on a slight budget.

optimum nutrition whey proteins are the best/cheapest. just get the protein powder and make the shakes at home. much more cost effective.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

don't waste your money on meal replacement shakes. they are a gimmick. get some real food with that money. if you want to feel fuller, make sure to get foods high in fiber and protein.

the way to lose weight is to make sure you consume fewer calories each day than you expend. you can do this without resorting to shakes. lots of folks here will help you figure out the changes to your diet that will be beneficial, just ask for that sort of help.

if you can't get enough protein in your diet, then going with a protein powder shake to SUPPLEMENT your daily diet of real food may be called for, but stay away from the whole concept of meal replacement shakes.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Just have to say this: there's nothing magical about shakes. In fact, for purposes of satiety, you're probably better off with just eating some food. 1% Greek Yoghurt, for example, is high in protein, and can be eaten in greater volume for calorie over protein powder.

That said, always buy vanilla should you choose to get a powder. Vanilla can be made into ANYTHINg. For srs
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I replace breakfast, and sometimes lunch/snack if I'm really busy that day, with a Slimfast shake. It's quick, tastes good, I can afford it on a college budget, fills me up for a good while, and honestly, it's probably better for me than other quick foods I'd eat otherwise.
  • Lovable12
    Options
    I tried herbalife and put a bunch of stuff in it so it was a ton of calories and didn't like the meal replacement idea... now i use gladiator protein mix (smoothie king) bc one scoop is only 90 calories and 22g protein (and tastes wayy better) with PB2 (only 45 calories instead of 190 in regular peanut butter) with either dark chocolate almond milk and sometimes half a banana sometimes not.. I also use the recipes from herbalife shakes sometimes just with the gladiator mix... I like this better because its fewer calories so I can still eat regular food but still get a lot more protein
  • emilypurplefrog
    Options
    Thanks for the Smoothie King Recommendation. I've got a Smoothie King right next to my campus and some coupons. I've heard about PB2 and would like to try it because PB is one of my weaknesses and I don't want to keep a jar sitting around to call out to me.
  • Daastroman
    Options
    I do GNC wheybolic 60 and help my muscles recover more quickly too. As someone said earlier, stick with vanilla, chocolate, or cookies and cream ... because the banana gets old quick. Secondly, I add more water than they call for, so I have the illusion of being fuller. Additionally, I eat a large qty of low calorie soups and greek yogurt (Oikos is my fav)
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    If you are counting carbs, watch the PB2, and use real peanut butter or perhaps one scoop of PB2 and one scoop of real peanut butter. I watch carbs so i'd rather have high fat and low carb than high carb and low fat.
  • emilypurplefrog
    Options
    I do GNC wheybolic 60 and help my muscles recover more quickly too. As someone said earlier, stick with vanilla, chocolate, or cookies and cream ... because the banana gets old quick. Secondly, I add more water than they call for, so I have the illusion of being fuller. Additionally, I eat a large qty of low calorie soups and greek yogurt (Oikos is my fav)

Thanks for the recommendation! I love greek yogurt as well, I eat it almost daily. Chobani is my favorite!
  • lynda037
    lynda037 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Whey protein shakes from wallmart, powder, I have the van, choc, and the strawberry, replace at least one meal a day, and have been on a 1000 - 1200 cal for about 6 weeks now, and I lost 19 pounds. I record everything on here, everything, just remember you are not fooling anyone but yourself if you don't record it all, even a splenda, because it does have carbs. Good luck. I would reccomend van because you can add fruit, ice, peanut butter, choc syrup, or whatever you want to make it a different shake everyday, I like adding a small banana and ice, or blueberries, peaches, strawberries, they are all very good, I mix with silk orig almond milk, 1/2 glass and a little water and ice, very good and satisfying
  • badmoon81
    Options
    I am not able to go home about 14 days out of the month, so to stay on track and on budget, I drink GNC Lean Shakes (Swiss Chocolate is the best) for breakfast and lunch. They are pretty filling, and if I need a snack I'll eat a piece of fruit, a few bites of Greek Yogurt, or some raw veggies. Take a look at my food diary; with my diet, I find it easy to stay at my 1200 calories, and I'm rarely hungry. I do try to keep a strict eating schedule. Side note: If you decide to start working out, the GNC Lean Shake 25 provides more protein.
  • jcb1217
    jcb1217 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love Spiru-tein Smore's. It comes in a powder form and I add it to Silk Chocolate Light Soy Milk. I've tried a few and this was the only kind that I liked. I use this to replace my lunch and it carries me through until dinner. I sometimes have this with a banana.