Losing weight while Breastfeeding

Options
How many calories would you guys recommend eating while breastfeeding? I am 25 and have two kids. My daughter is 7 months and i am still breastfeeding but i really want to get rid of this weight! i have lost almost 10 lbs since new years but dont want to be eating to few calories for her. Thanks for everyones input! Also i am also looking for other moms to keep me motivated :)

Replies

• Jess3742a
    Jess3742a Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Also a Bfing mom :) You can look up breastfeeding in the food data base, and depending on how often you nurse, it will give you extra calories for the day. After researching, I found I was eating way too low, and upped my calories to 1700 this week in hope to maintain a good milk supply and still lose weight. I've seen some recommend eating anywhere between 1500-1800 depending on how often you nurse and how active you are. Also, make sure to eat back exercise calories. I've also seen others say their weight wouldn't budge until they upped their calories to over 2000. I am still trying to find the right balance for my body/baby and weight loss! I will add you! It's great to have friends on here going through the same thing!
  • only_5mom
    Options
    I always ate as much of well balanced, healthy foods as I wanted while breastfeeding my five kids. By the time they were a year old, all of the weight gained, even when I had gained 50 pounds, was gone. I was more thin and fit than when I got pregnant. My children never had any formula and nursed on demand. The earliest any of them weaned was 14 months. You do not want to go too low on calories. Your body will cheat you if you do not eat enough. Your baby needs a healthy mom! The problem occurred when they weaned and I failed to cut back on the food at that point!
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 7 months old as well and i average 1700 to 2000 calories day. That being said i do have super hungry days from time to time and i listen to my body on those days.