Konjac (which i know as konyaku) - sharing a tip!

Options
2»

Replies

• SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Konyaku noodles are not the same as shiritaki.

There are actually two different products in the states. There are the shiritaki noodles that are made of tofu (and are about 40 calories for the whole bag) and then there are the Konjac noodles, which are also sometimes referred to as shiritaki noodles. The konjac noodles, as the OP (original poster) pointed out, are made out of a yam and contain no soy. Shiritaki noodles (especially the ones that Skinnygirl promotes) are made of tofu.

The shiritaki noodles can usually be found in either the produce section or the "health food" section of major grocery stores. They run about $2 a bag by me.

The konjac noodles on the other hand seem to be sold in asian grocery stores, in the refrigerated cases, near the wonton wrappers, tofu skin, and kimchi. Konjac noodles have fewer calories than shiritaki and have a different consistency. Shiritaki have a weird gumminess to them whereas konjac noodles are less chewy and are closer to rice vermicelli (also from the asian grocery store) . I like the Skirakiku brand. They also make konyaku cakes that can be sliced and pan fried.

Both types of noodle stink when you open the bag, so both type need to be rinsed and probably cooked / sauteed /pan fried / microwaved for a minute or two to get rid of the stink.

Hope that helps.
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Konyaku noodles are not the same as shiritaki.

There are actually two different products in the states. There are the shiritaki noodles that are made of tofu (and are about 40 calories for the whole bag) and then there are the Konjac noodles, which are also sometimes referred to as shiritaki noodles. The konjac noodles, as the OP (original poster) pointed out, are made out of a yam and contain no soy. Shiritaki noodles (especially the ones that Skinnygirl promotes) are made of tofu.

Here (US/Midwest) we have "tofu shiritaki" and "shiritaki". The "shiritaki" are just yam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirataki_noodles - It sounds like there used to be a difference, but not really any more (shape only).
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Edible =/= food, if it cannot be digested it is not nutritious so I don't know why you would post this on the Food and Nutrition board.

So, fiber is not food? Funny, the doctor keeps telling me to eat more fiber...

Sometimes getting no nutrition from something is better than the alternatives.

I believe fibre is technically a non nutritive or indigestible carbohydrate or non starch polysaccharide, it's not classed as a regular macronutrient because it passes right through undigested and is effectively calorie free.

Hopefully your doctor is trying to get you to eat more fibre rich wholefoods (fruit, veg, beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, wholegrains) - supplementing with fibre only can bind and sweep micronutrients out of the body so should usually only be undertaken with medical advice. Basically excessive fibre can sometimes act as an anti nutrient so it's not necessarily better than the alternatives.

/dry biology lesson.

if it's being used as a carrier for healthy sauces or filler for in dishes in lieu of pasta or noodles which are higher calorie, AND it's been eaten for centuries in Asia where they know quite a lot about nutrition themselves what makes you think that your opinion is the only worthwhile one here? Thanks for your input.
  • sheilsun
    Options
    HI everyone, my favorite is Miracle Noodle. I rinse well, sometimes boil for about a minute, that eliminates the smell. They have no tofu, calories, or carbs and come in so many shapes! Great receipes on their Facebook page too. If you order online today and tomorrow, they have a 13%discount on all products for their customers all over the world to celebrate Australia Day..good until midnight Monday. try it..www.miraclenoodle.com..i used their code "aus13" So what are they made of... naturally water soluble fiber with no fat, sugar, or starch.Contain zero net carbohydrates and zero calories, no gluten -made of a healthy natural fiber called Glucomannan. I use them in soup alot and other dishes using lots of my favoirte sauces, which sometimes are over the top, however very delicious!! Hope this helps. Anyone on this blog for Australia, Happy Australia Day!!