How long does the body need to adjust to a calorie increase?

Options
katg73
katg73 Posts: 77 Member
Hi all,

For about 4 months I was on MFP's "suggested" 1200 calorie limit, and while I have lost a pretty good amount of weight, I started to notice my body needed more coz of all the lifting/working out I do (Cardio/lift 5-6x a week). That, plus a bunch of research have led me to do a calorie increase. I am now really wishing I never followed the 1200 limit as I feel like my body is taking longer to adjust to the increase. What I mean by this is that I've gained a couple lbs back. It's probably the muscle increase mostly, but I figured I'd ask here to make sure I'm understanding it correctly.

Okay, in all honesty it's been about 2 weeks since the calorie increase, I just really want to know if it's still normal. At this point, it's more about dropping my body fat percentage and increasing muscle mass. Thanks to my awesome scale, I do know that my muscle mass is coming up.

Any shared experiences are greatly appreciated :).

Replies

• aalpass
    aalpass Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I switched from 1200 to 1500+ about 5-6wks ago with the implementation of a weights program. I took measurements. In that time my weight has gone up about 2kgs, but i've lost 4cm of my waist and another 4cms off my hips. I really struggled watching the weight go up but its stabilised the last week.

Measurements will get you through it!
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I've just started upping my calories too!!I'll keep a close eye on this thread!!
  • chelbel89
    chelbel89 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I agree with taking your measurements at this point! They will be far more fair than the scale, what with all of the training you are doing!
  • katg73
    Options
    I switched from 1200 to 1500+ about 5-6wks ago with the implementation of a weights program. I took measurements. In that time my weight has gone up about 2kgs, but i've lost 4cm of my waist and another 4cms off my hips. I really struggled watching the weight go up but its stabilised the last week.

Measurements will get you through it!

You just gave me a sigh of relief... why didn't I think of this?! But definitely glad to know that I'm not the only one mentally struggling with this lol. When you say stabilized, do you mean your weight went back to what it was pre-increase?
  • aalpass
    aalpass Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Nah its not what it was pre-increase, but its not continually increasing and even coming down gradually!!! Mind you my diet wasn't 100%. You've probably scrolled through a lot of the success stories from lifting on here like i have. If my weight doesnt go down i'm not concerned. Provided the measurements continue to drop. I've seen amazing transformations in women on here and their weight has been the same (if not more!). Hopefully I can be one of those success stories and you can too!
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I definately agree with the measurements! :) I have also increased my calories the past few weeks. The original 1200 calories MFP gave me worked for weight loss... but really it's not enough! So a few weeks ago I increased that to 1350, and today increased it to 1550, figure that way my body can adjust :)

You probably just gained some muscle mass, take some pics and measurements and I'm sure you will see some awesome results :D
  • watchthis1970
    watchthis1970 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Are all of you tracking your activity on MFP? If so it should show you the amount of calories above your normal calories you should be consuming due to your activity level. I find it hard to eat all the additional calories some days, but from most everything i have read on the message boards, you are to eat the exercise calories.
  • kimanne4
    kimanne4 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I recently started running three days a week and doing 30 Day Shred daily. I had to increase my calories because I felt like I was starving! I went from 1300 to 1500 calories. The scale is stagnant but I can tell a difference in my body. Muscle definition I didn't have before and things are just tighter. It's difficult to not see the scale move but in the end I'm going to have a toned body so I'm just waiting to measure monthly and see how much my body is changing!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Totally normal to have a slight gain initially. You really should give it more time - two weeks isn't a whole lot.

I agree with the others who suggested measurements. It's more satisfying to know you are getting "smaller" than to simply see the scale go down.

The same thing happened to me when I upped my calories. Now there is no way I will ever go back to 1200.
  • katg73
    Options
    I definately agree with the measurements! :) I have also increased my calories the past few weeks. The original 1200 calories MFP gave me worked for weight loss... but really it's not enough! So a few weeks ago I increased that to 1350, and today increased it to 1550, figure that way my body can adjust :)

You probably just gained some muscle mass, take some pics and measurements and I'm sure you will see some awesome results :D

How long did you wait between increasing from 1350 to 1550? I've only increased to 1340 so as not to freak my body out (and my mind). I still could stand to lose a bit coz it seems that a lot of the fat is centered around my stomach. Enough for me to feel like I look about 3 months prego when I'm full. I know there isn't a way to spot-target stomach fat, but I def can see that most of my fat is hanging around there.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    It can take a body up to 4-6 weeks to adjust, depending upon the amount of damage done with the low calorie diet. I did the same as you and it took me nearly 3 weeks to adjust and only one more to get back to pre-adjustment weight. Since then, regular losses every month with only 8 to go (after a 4 month plateau because of the 1200 calories).

Don't panic for now - and put the scale away for those 4 weeks. I think you willb e pleased as long as you have given yourself enough calories each day, without being too much. Have you calculated your Boddy fat %, BMR and TDEE?
  • katg73
    Options
    Totally normal to have a slight gain initially. You really should give it more time - two weeks isn't a whole lot.

I agree with the others who suggested measurements. It's more satisfying to know you are getting "smaller" than to simply see the scale go down.

The same thing happened to me when I upped my calories. Now there is no way I will ever go back to 1200.

I'm glad to read that 2 weeks really isn't all that long enough to adjust. I just had to ask to make sure I was just freaking out haha. Its a good thing I took measurements right before my increase!
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see where this thread goes....

I've been upping my calories ever so slightly to start NROLFW.... I've stayed around the same weight for a couple weeks now...but I'm not going to check until a few more weeks go by because I only stay at an intake for a week before I up it. In my head this makes sense...Started at 1400 then went 1550 and now today I set it to 1700.
  • darisey
    darisey Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It takes 3-4 weeks normally for the metabolism to heal.
    When I went from 1300 to 1550, I gained 5lbs the first week, gained 2lbs the second week, got really discouraged but decided to give it just one more week. Lost 6lbs the third week, lost 2lbs the 4th week, and kept losing from there on :D
  • JudyAngelman
    JudyAngelman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I adjusted almost 4 weeks ago from 1250 to 1590, no real weight gain or loss to speak of but I am feeling so much better. I have more energy to workout and my brain doesn't feel foggy. I was at 1200-1250 for a year and was told to give my body 6 weeks to adjust. Will never go to low calories. I also got a Fitbit One for myself and I love the info it gives me. Hang in there!
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    This might help, especially because you work out so much: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    Take the time to do the calculations, it really is a gem.
  • katg73
    Options
    When I went from 1300 to 1550, I gained 5lbs the first week, gained 2lbs the second week, got really discouraged but decided to give it just one more week. Lost 6lbs the third week, lost 2lbs the 4th week, and kept losing from there on :D

Omg this is amazing to read! And EXTREMELY encouraging. Thank you so much for sharing!
  • katg73
    Options
    Are all of you tracking your activity on MFP? If so it should show you the amount of calories above your normal calories you should be consuming due to your activity level. I find it hard to eat all the additional calories some days, but from most everything i have read on the message boards, you are to eat the exercise calories.

I eat back the majority of my calories burned (through protein, greens, and good fats) because it's already a pretty low calorie intake and I fear for muscle depletion! This explains it pretty well:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • darisey
    darisey Posts: 228 Member
    Options

Omg this is amazing to read! And EXTREMELY encouraging. Thank you so much for sharing!

You're welcome! I think that most people give up and say it doesn't work for them at that second week because it just seems to be such a long time of getting worse and not better but then suddenly, it all drops off after week 3 and 4.
    I am now at 1500 losing at the same pace as I did at 1200 lol amazing!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how steep the 1200 calorie intake was from your actual TDEE as well as duration of restriction. A shorter duration/smaller deficit will require a very short amount of time. Just realize the amount of water weight you were holding during restriction is generally less than what you hold during maintenance. Thus, most of the initial weight gain comes from water until your weight stabilizes.