After galbladder surgery and weight loss

Options
I'm sure there are plenty of others on this site who have had their galbladder removed - and this is the question I have.

Up until I had my galbladder removed - I lost 25lbs and was at an ideal weight of 145ish.

Once I had the surgery - I gained back all 25lbs and then some. I've been reading online that a lot of people have trouble adjusting their diets and excersise once they have their galbladders removed.

To me, it's really changed what I can or can not eat. Red meat is a bad idea for me anymore, I feel sick after I eat it - and I assume because your galbladder breaks down that type of fat.

What have other people post surgery done as far as adjusting their diet with the fact that your body can't break down fat like it use to?

Replies

• vbmama2012
    vbmama2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed in 2007. I was pretty heavy then, and hit my heaviest in 2011 at 205.

My largest concern was my sugar, as I was in 2011 diagnosed uncontrolled Type 2 Diabetic. I've managed to lose 54 lbs since September 2011, even without my gallbladder.

I really just started watching the foods I was eating, switched to whole grains, and cut out the carbs. I do indulge every once a while, but I try to keep it well within moderation.

Best of luck!!
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I wish you lots of luck. I discovered I had gallstones about 6 (?) years ago. Since then, I've lived on a lowfat diet and expect I may lose my gallbladder at some point. I also became vegetarian unlrelated to my gallstones.

I think legumes (beans, lentils, etc) are a really good food and is my primary protein source. I'm sure you can still eat lower fat meats (?) but I'd look at legumes, whole grains, veggies and fruit to be incorporated into your diet if they aren't already.
  • boydsterk
    boydsterk Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Did either of you struggle with what felt to be a glutten allergy once you discovered you had galstones?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    That happened to me. I lost 100lbs and then of course had to have gall bladder surgery. Well after that I was like a garbage disposal. I wanted to eat everything in sight especially fat which makes sense. I wish I had known then what I know now that it would pass. To continue eating low fat, and to eat small mini meals, and to drink tons of water. I dont think I would have gained 165lbs if I had the knowledge. Oh well, live and learn.
  • amonroe1343
    amonroe1343 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm glad I never had any of these issues after I had my gallbladder removed. I've known people who all of a sudden can't eat certain foods after having it removed. I'll only notice symptoms if I have a ton of fatty greasy foods but I rarely do anyways and so that wasn't much of an issue. I had mine removed May 2011.
  • boydsterk
    boydsterk Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm almost at the year mark of having mine removed (September) - and I jumped from 142lbs to 170lbs.

Now beef or pork makes me feel sick, and I'm not sure if it's just from not being able to break it down properly or what.
  • AmyMalley77
    AmyMalley77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out in June of this year. Except for the first couple weeks after surgery, I haven't had any issues with what I can or cant eat...well, except if I eat a VERY fatty meal, I have some "issues".

However, I really shouldn't (and haven't been) eating fat-heavy foods now, anyway.

I have not experienced any weight gain since surgery...but it was shortly after surgery that I decided to really stick with loosing weight.

Fingers crossed I don't have any problems in the future!
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I do not think I am the only one in this position. I was very sick before they realized it was my gallbladder and when it was removed I continued to lose weight developing an eating disorder from vommiting so much before it was removed. I am finially doing better and am very luck to have a fantastic treamtent team. I am eating whatever I want but I know my sister developed some food allergies and my father has issues with fat after they had theirs removed. My only change was I was craving spicy hot chili type foods. Keep working with medical staff. It can just be an inbalance and with help can be changed. Good Luck
  • jaj68
    jaj68 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    had my gallbladder removed about 12 years ago. Did not experience any weight gain.....other than the cause of my own poor food choices. Never had foods I couldn't eat again. Every test I had done prior to having it out showed a bad gall bladder. They even said it was filled with sludge. When it was removed I went back in for my post op app't. The dr. asked how I was doing....I said I still had the same pain as before. He said.."we examined the gall bladder and there was nothing wrong with it." hmmmm
    I said.."put it back then" So who knows!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there are plenty of others on this site who have had their galbladder removed - and this is the question I have.

Up until I had my galbladder removed - I lost 25lbs and was at an ideal weight of 145ish.

Once I had the surgery - I gained back all 25lbs and then some. I've been reading online that a lot of people have trouble adjusting their diets and excersise once they have their galbladders removed.

To me, it's really changed what I can or can not eat. Red meat is a bad idea for me anymore, I feel sick after I eat it - and I assume because your galbladder breaks down that type of fat.

What have other people post surgery done as far as adjusting their diet with the fact that your body can't break down fat like it use to?

I came out of surgery, went home 4 hours later and had a yummy grilled steak. I find that eating greasy food does not do my body good in more ways than 1.
  • KJanae87
    KJanae87 Posts: 54
    Options
    I had mine out Dec. 2010. I have "issues" after eating greasy/fatty foods. I get bad stomach pains and (TMI) have to run to the bathroom not long after eating. . Now...even after 1 piece of pizza hut pizza I have a sick feeling for 24 hours. But since changing my diet I rarely have issues

I do not eat much red meats to begin with so I am not sure if thats affected it or not.

I think you should still be able to lose weight efficiently with a healthy (less fatty/less sugary) diet. I have lost about >50lbs after getting mine removed. I started actively trying to lose about a year after I got it removed. It did not make it any harder for me to lose nor did it make me gain. Good luck!
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Did either of you struggle with what felt to be a glutten allergy once you discovered you had galstones?

I didn't. I eat plenty of gluten and it never causes me issues.
  • mas1989
    mas1989 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am new to this site, so think all of these posts are fairly old. I had my gallbladder removed 2 years ago. Always stayed right around 140 (5 feet 5 inches) - about 2 months after surgery (because initially lost weight from it) have packed on 15 pounds that I can't lose. Exercise often, but weight gain in my stomach area that use to never be a problem (was always my hips before). I think there is a connection with the gall bladder - had doctor run blood work to see if something wrong with me, but perfectly healthy. Really weird - have dieted seriously since 3 weeks ago and have not lost a pound. Doctor says it is my age - 41. I feel like I am in such a rut - trying hard, but no results! I have heard after your gall bladder is removed, you don't have the enzymes that broke your food down like before, is anyone taking any kind of enzyme supplement that is helping?
  • deniseorangeteam
    deniseorangeteam Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Soon after having two kids, I used Jenny Craig and running to lose the weight. I was very successful losing the weight and in fact I believe I lost the weight too rapidly and that caused gallstones. Anyone else associate rapid weight lost and gallstones?? Anyways, after my surgery I did gain weight because I was free to eat fatty foods again that I so craved. Prior to surgery any fatty foods I would eat would lead to a night of severe abdominal pain so painful that I put myself on a low-fat diet until surgery.
    Now I find only avocados really upset me since the surgery. However, I do feel quite bloated after eating a meal higher in fats. This time around, I will lose the weight at a slower and healthier rate! And I don't think that having gallstone surgery is a reason why you can't lose weight!! Eat healthy and exercise....simple as that.
  • calster123
    calster123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is definitely a correlation between galbladder removal and an increase in abdominal fat.

I am 2 months removed from having the surgery and have gone up almost a pants size. I am 44 and have been extremely fit for that least 20 years. Very regimented healthy diet with exercise 4 to 5 times a week. On some level I would consider myself an expert on diet/fitness and how to manipulate your body to gain muscle, lose fat, etc..........

However, with the removal of my galbladder what typically works is making no progress and in fact the abdominal fat continues to be noticeably worse. I have only gained 2 or 3 pounds since surgery, but the concentration of bodyfat is confined to the abdominal area. Obviously, my body is processing food in a much different way at this point.

This is extremely disappointing to me and was not brought up in the consultation with my doctor regarding the surgery.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate the feedback
  • jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I had mine out in 1998. Greasy food upsets my stomach occasionally, not every time. I also get acid reflux now.
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I had mine out 4 years ago and have no real side effects living without it, except if I eat really greasy food, which I VERY rarely ever do. I did gain some weight but it had nothing to do with that.... just me not being diligent... but I have it together now. :-)
  • Lumen1505
    Lumen1505 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I had mine out in November 2012. No weight gained (or lost really) since then, I'd lost around 28lbs prior to that as I'd developed pancreatitus back in the July. When I eat fatty foods I feel really tired and a bit rubbish the next day which I think is the result of slower digestion or my body having to work harder to get rid of it. When I eat 'clean' I have no problems so I try to stay on track with my clean eating as much as possible. Some people take a digestive enzyme after eating 'rich' foods or meals to help with speeding up the digestive process but I always find eating pineapple much more effetrive :-)