HAD GASTRIC BYPASS~HOW MANY CALORIES, ETC. IS THE RIGHT AMOU

Options
CAN ANYONE SUGGEST A GOOD AMOUNT OF CALORIES, PROTEIN, FATS, AND CARBS FOR ME? I RE-GAINED AND AM TRYING TO LOSE, BUT I'M NO LONGER SURE HOW MUCH OF EACH TO BE GETTING TO KEEP MY HEALTH UP?

Replies

• xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Didn't your doctor refer you to a nutritionist prior to your surgery? Most people I know that have had this surgery are hooked up with a multi-disciplinary team consisting of the surgeon, a nutritionist (for obvious reasons) a psychologist (for help with lifestyle changes, coping strategies, etc) and a physical therapist (for a pre surgical exercise program). If not, than I suggest you meet with a licensed nutritionist as soon as possible to ensure you're getting the right nutrition!!!
  • karlita0408
    karlita0408 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    how far out post op are you? I am still pretty fresh out but I would reset your calorie goal to 1000 and protein goal to 80. Make sure you get less than 5 grams of sugar per meal, 64 oz water a day, and that is all you need to pay attention to.oh and shoot for 4-6 meals a day
  • leelu
    leelu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Having Gastric Bypass changes the way that you digest food and your diet so severely that I would not take advise from this site - you should have been issued with an eating plan from your Surgeon or Medical expert when having the operation, if you weren't or it was some time ago or you believe it doesn't meet your needs I would only suggest going back to your surgeon or GP and requesting advise from there - few people if anyone on this site would be qualified to advise you with such special needs.
  • AdymondNtheRuff
    AdymondNtheRuff Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    The first thing to do is to make sure that you are following the basic pouch rules.
    The no drinking with meals plus 30/30 before/after, protein first, veggies next, carbs last if you still have room. Protein at least 60g per day, at least 64oz water/fluids per day.
    If your nutrition balance is off, utilise online sites such as  www.fitday.com (http://www.fitday.com)

This was given to me... Hope this helps! Good luck it will be my year this June and I am 50lbs from my goal.

" If you fall down 7 times get up 8"
  • Fabulocity
    Fabulocity Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    CAN ANYONE SUGGEST A GOOD AMOUNT OF CALORIES, PROTEIN, FATS, AND CARBS FOR ME? I RE-GAINED AND AM TRYING TO LOSE, BUT I'M NO LONGER SURE HOW MUCH OF EACH TO BE GETTING TO KEEP MY HEALTH UP?
  • Fabulocity
    Fabulocity Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    While I have not had the surgery, my sister has. I would agree with people who said to go back to your doctor for advice.
    It's my understanding that they can refer you to the resources that you need. Each person is different and each situation is different.
    I wish you the best!
    ~Warm regards,
    Fabulocity
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Yeah, I agree you should ask the doctor who did your surgery how much of each thing you should have. You could run into problems if you try to eat too much or too little of something.
  • fitgirljudy
    Options
    Well, thanks everyone for all the good suggestions. I had my surgery 5 and a 1/2 years ago in Colorado and now live in Misssouri. I haven't been in touch with my doctor & all others on that team for about 4 and 1/2 years. I'm just now getting myself back in good standing, so to speak!!! I just needed some basic info to put in place right away, so thanks again to all !!! :happy:
  • karlita0408
    karlita0408 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yah once you are that far out post op, you are sort of on your own. I mean it would be up to you to go see a nutritionist and pay out of pocket probably. Just go back to the beginning when you first went on solids. Or, kick start it by going on full liquids for a week
  • hrhneenerita
    Options
    I just had mine surgery and before i read lots of logs and one i found was the 5day pouch test and I think she has lots of good information, also eggonmyface blog is good hope this helps
  • trollorbust
    trollorbust Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had my surg last year in march... I am looking for friends that have had one too...
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Since you are so far past your surgery, I would suggest making an appointment with your new PCP, and if you don't have a PCP then get one now. Tell him/her your health concerns, and get a referral to a nutritionist. Depending on your insurance, if your doctor can justify the referral to a health issue (if you are again overweight, if you are having a metabolic imbalance, if you are borderline diabetes, have cardiac risk factors due to weight/cholesterol/BP issues etc). If you don't have insurance, than you may have to pay out of pocket to see a nutritionist directly but I think it is worth the cost. After all, this is your health - aka your life! your needs are very specialized and you should get the advice from a professional. There are a lot of kind-hearted and well-meaning people on this website who will offer you advice, but you really need to consult a professional. Good luck!!