Runners - Treadmill vs. Outdoors

Options
13»

Replies

• hbdub7
    hbdub7 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    outside is easier for me...the scenery changes and I dont focus as much on the time...HOWEVER I have fallen twice already...booo! I use the treadmill only in the winter months...or if it is dark before I can get a run in :bigsmile:
  • brey1986
    brey1986 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So since this is a thread with obviously experienced runners...I have a question for yall =]
    I'd like to start running more, but man it's hard. I get side stitches so fast, and i'm wondering if there is a special breathing tecnique that I have never been informed of or what!? I know it will take time for me to build up endurance, but I can do a 30 minute strength training circuit, and then immediately do an hour of Zumba and be just fine! What's up with that? lol
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of road cycling, 45-50 mile rides etc. and I also have an indoor trainer. They both have their place; I wouldn't ever do a 3 hour ride on my trainer but the trainer allows me to do one-legged drills or high cadence spin-ups that would be very difficult to replicate outdoors. Similarly with running, longer distance running on a treadmill gets pretty dull but the controlled environment makes it a great way to do targeted interval training using either tempo or incline. These workouts demand a great deal of focus and concentration so they are not boring and are not particularly long in duration but can yield great results. So if you're going for a longer run the great outdoors is the place to be but if you're doing shorter but more intense interval work the treadmill is a very effective tool for training.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Side stitches - my recommendation would be to really focus on controlling your breathing. Try to avoid taking quick shallow breaths and instead breathe as deeply and slowly as possible. Deep breathing helps bring in the oxygen you need, helps to keep you relaxed, and I've found it helps reduce the chance that I'll develop side stitches.
  • hulkweazel
    hulkweazel Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    So since this is a thread with obviously experienced runners...I have a question for yall =]
    I'd like to start running more, but man it's hard. I get side stitches so fast, and i'm wondering if there is a special breathing tecnique that I have never been informed of or what!? I know it will take time for me to build up endurance, but I can do a 30 minute strength training circuit, and then immediately do an hour of Zumba and be just fine! What's up with that? lol
    http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/lung-power?page=single

A lot of beginners are told to "breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth when running" - This is terrible advice, and one of the biggest reasons so many people get cramps while running.
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    There is no way I could even bring myself to get back on a treadmill after running outside. No way. I love the extra vitamin D from the sunshine, the fresh air (which has been proven to be good for your brain!) and not having to deal with constantly adjusting the machine. If the weather is bad (read: icy. I live in Oregon, so running in the rain is basically the status quo) I stay inside and do Tae Bo Cardio videos instead. Interestingly enough, the mix has elevated my ability to do both!
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options

Because it's a higher intensity of cardiovascular workout. I did Zumba for 6 months in addition to a strength training routine and still had trouble when I started running. Just keep at it. It gets easier! Maybe try interval running to start out with! :)
  • brey1986
    Options
    welp...that's exactly what I do ...could explain a lot haha
  • brey1986
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/lung-power?page=single

A lot of beginners are told to "breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth when running" - This is terrible advice, and one of the biggest reasons so many people get cramps while running.

that was very helpful! Thanks! I'll give it a shot
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    There is no way I could even bring myself to get back on a treadmill after running outside. No way. I love the extra vitamin D from the sunshine, the fresh air (which has been proven to be good for your brain!) and not having to deal with constantly adjusting the machine. If the weather is bad (read: icy. I live in Oregon, so running in the rain is basically the status quo) I stay inside and do Tae Bo Cardio videos instead. Interestingly enough, the mix has elevated my ability to do both!

Kickboxing and strength training improved my running by leaps and bounds! Circumstances are going to call for a treadmill from time to time in getting ready for race season, but I still plan to get outside as well. I really appreciate all the input!