How to avoid shin splints?

Options
I'm trying to get into running as a different form of cardio and exercise. I exercise at a gym with a track, and typically I do some sort of warm up activity, ie. 25 minutes on the elliptical, and then switch to walking some laps. After I walk some laps, I attempt to run 1-2 laps straight. Usually my shins and lower legs really hurt, even with lots of stretching. Any tips or tricks? It's been really hard for me to "push through the pain" because I have an automatic reaction to finish my lap, slow to a walk and then go off to the side and try to stretch my legs some more.

Hopefully someone has advice!
Thank you :)

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Maybe this topic will help? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/new/870109-how-to-avoid-shin-splints

If you're new to running, it could just be trying to do too much too soon, or going too fast, or your shoes.
  • stevenleeryan
    stevenleeryan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ensure you have the proper shoes to run. I have some terrible feet and have to get certain shoes to run well. Go to wal-mart and get your feet checked out by the dr scholls machine.

or

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes/take-wet-test-learn-your-foot-type

Good Luck!
  • hulkweazel
    hulkweazel Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Toe lifts, toe tapping, heel walking, do this every day and you'll never get shin splints again

Make sure your running form is correct, ie. don't stomp on the ground and don't overstride

Make sure your running shoes aren't too worn out, running on grass helps

But really, just do strengthening exercises, once I did that I never had to deal with them ever again
  • MissL5
    MissL5 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • Justact1
    Justact1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Might want to try some inserts. Could be you aren't placing your foot correctly and therefore causing undue stress on the shin. Worked for me. Went to the podiatrist and had them specially made. Worked like a charm!
  • andreak400
    andreak400 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When's the last time you got fitted for a running shoe? I'm just getting over some serious shin pain because I thought my shoes from last year were fine. I was really wrong and paid for it dearly. I'm talking about icing down my leg as soon as I got home and using a heating pad a few days later and having to switch cardio exercises so that I didn't put too much stress on my legs. I thought "Well, I got these at big brand store and they recommended it for running." What they didn't bother doing is looking at my feet, watching me walk to see what my gait was like, letting me try them on and run on a treadmill, recommending different shoes in different price points, etc. It was more like "This is our most popular shoe and it's great for exercising and everyday wear. But this one is nice, too, but it's a little more expensive. But it's a good brand." Sound familiar?
    You might need more cushioning/stability or if they're fairly new you might have the wrong kind of shoe: wrong size, wrong fit, wrong whatever. When I finally went to a running specialty store, they fitted me and recommended shoes in all price ranges that would be best for my feet. They took the time to listen to my concerns and I now have a shoe that seriously is more comfy than any exercise shoe I've ever had. There was even a woman who bought new shoes and got a blister...instead of showing her new shoes like she wanted, they made her try out new socks because they took the time to find out she hadn't had new socks in a year or two and the ones she was using were notorious for causing blisters. Socks!!! Try and get that kind of service in a big box store. They'd be happy to sell you $150 of shoes you don't need first before they bust out $12 in socks.
    There's a big difference these days between what the big boxes and the smaller stores recommend as well as the level of expertise you find.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to run. Ditch the elliptical, your trying to run better, not be better at elliptical.

Look up minimalist running. Really hitting on your heel might be the cause. Get running shoes, from a running shoe store. Go to a place were they actually look at how you run. Don't get cross trainers or anything like that.
  • srm1960
    srm1960 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Ditto -so true-thanks for all this advice-I too suffer, but only when I walk outside, not on the treadmill??????
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    From my understanding it's footwear and foot fall (heel strike instead of mid foot strike) that's probably the issues.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I just started running last fall. In the beginning my legs were often sore. However once I starting lifting, running has been much easier on my legs. Squats in particular helped me strengthen many muscle groups that used to bother me after a longer run.

I ran my first half marathon yesterday. I can honestly say that my legs feel better today than they did after my first 5k on December 1st (prior to starting squatting).

As you can probably guess from my user name I disagree about the comments regarding inserts as they only treat the symptom and not the underlying cause (weak muscles, and possibly improper running form). Inserts or lots of heel cushioning may feel more comfortable while you run today, but they will only encourage you to land on your heels putting more pressure on your joints. Minimalist shoes (without any cushioning) will take some time to get used to but will greatly increase the strength of additional muscles groups as you begin to land on your forefoot/midfoot instead.
  • MissL5
    MissL5 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I've actually never been fit for a running shoe. I had no idea the significant impact it would have. It's now definitely on my to-do list this next week to do research on shoes and local places to buy them. I'm also going to do a better pre-workout stretch and exercises to warm up my muscles.