One year progress! 5'1, -12lbs, down 2 pant sizes

Options
AnnaVee84
AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
Hello MFP family!
My name is Anna and I'm 29 years old, 5'1, and I want to share this super long post with my awesome MFP support group :smooched: and any fellow shorties out there even though my journey was very slow and not like the incredible success stories I read on here every day :happy: ......I started my weight loss journey in Feb 2012 at 140 pounds, size 8 and now in (almost) Feb 2013, I'm at 128 and a size 4!

This past year has been a really great weight loss journey for me and I always tell everyone who will listen that the #1 thing that helped me lose weight was MFP and the supportive community...and #2 is my heart rate monitor :love: and now maybe #3 is lifting heavy :bigsmile:

Here is a pic of me in June 2010, at the start of my graduate education

Untitled.jpg

Here is Lunar New Year Celebration in Feb 2012 - pictures from event really opened my eyes.

resize.jpg

My pants were getting a bit tighter but I didn't want to go up a size and start a whole new wardrobe. I started to cut back on carbs, increased my water intake, and went to a hot yoga class a few times a week (ya, no crazy cardio!). I lost 4 pounds and feel that the yoga helped strengthened my core muscles although I wasn't really seeing any physical results.

I found out about MFP in June 2012 and started off with 1200 cals a day as the recommended intake. I lost a few pounds through this and down to size 6 but didn't really feel this was sustainable. Then I found the "In place of a roadmap" thread (shout out to Dan for being so awesome and helpful! :flowerforyou: ) and upped my cals to 1350 because I love food and know that I can maintain a lifestyle where I can eat whatever I want, just be conscious of how much. :drinker: I bought a food scale, joined a gym and started to do more cardio work (thanks to awesome cardio theater at the gym and body combat!) and also started doing almost weekly hikes around Las Vegas.

**side note: YES Vegas has awesome hiking all around it! so when you come visit, get off the Strip!!!! :bigsmile: **

Oct 2012 - 5 mile Red Mountain hike, 130 pounds and down to size 4 (my normal size throughout college was a 6!)
IMAG0880_zpsff73c760.jpg

Then I became MFP friends with some ladies who were 'lifting heavy' and they looked AWESOME and toned (Hi Bobbie! :flowerforyou: ) and I read about Staci on nerdfitness. And I wanted that. So in Dec I started "New Rules of Lifting for Women", upped my cals to 1650 on non lift days and 1900 on lifting days. Focused on getting 130 g protein and getting good macro numbers. I did NOT gain weight by upping because still under TDEE (but barely) and I did not bulk up!

Results:

Dec 6 2012 - 127.5
resize-1.png

Just finished stage 1 of New Rules on Jan 25, 2013 - 128 pounds...but now I can squat 105lbs! :laugh:
IMAG0196_zps1d35b3ea.jpg
1-25-13afterNRstage1.jpg

What I've learned:
- I can eat more and still lose weight.
- Slow progress will eventual show great results and the scale lies. It's not the scale but how I fit into clothes (7 pound difference between size 8 and 4 for me!)
- Taking pictures and measurements along the way has really helped me stay focused, even during my plateau phase.
- Lifting heavy is awesome, makes me feel strong and toned. I'm super excited to start on stage 2 of NR and honestly tell all of my girlfriends about the program haha! Should have started sooner!!

One year later:
3rd time doing this hike at Lake Mead!
424468_764341237261_782728859_n_zpsef8875f3.jpg
IMG_3409_zps77d1f3bb.jpg

Thanks everyone,
xoxo
Anna

Replies

• AnnaVee84
    Options
    eeks i have to resize! :embarassed:
  • juliette28
    Options
    You look beautiful, strong, and healthy!!! CONGRATS to you! :flowerforyou:
  • Pulka_Dot
    Pulka_Dot Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! :) Keep up the great work. :happy:
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Amazing! I admire your determination!
  • lisadlocks
    lisadlocks Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful. Congrats on your success. I am ready to start lifting!
  • KathrynCatlady
    KathrynCatlady Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration!
  • dcuevas6235
    Options
    Hey there,

I'm not part of your support group (at least not yet), but I saw your post on the side and looked into it.

Its good to finally know it not just me who sees such great results from lifting weights. I have been on a regiment of lifting 5 days a week for an hour and ran 3 times a week for 45 min . . . my weight never went down. I did this for two months and not a pound was shed. HOWEVER, I dropped 3 pant sizes and my arms and thighs look way bigger than when I started.

After reading your post, I felt compelled to share my own findings. lol

Congratulations on all your progress and keep up the awesome work!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    ;)
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I want to me like you! :)
  • AnnaVee84
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I felt really vulnerable when posting but feels great to share and celebrate in some progress :drinker:
    You look wonderful. Congrats on your success. I am ready to start lifting!

DO IT! LIFT NOW AND LIFT HEAVY!!! I am a huge fan of lifting now, for everyone! :bigsmile:

did you see this on yahoo's front page? just a matter of exercising smarter
    http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/six-pack-abs-12-weeks
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    beautiful! great job
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Good job girlie :drinker:
  • arikag
    arikag Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Yeah!!! Way to go, my MFP buddy! Proud of all the work you've put in- you are truly an inspiration!! I am currently doing Strong Lifts, but am thinking about checking out NRWFL based on your success with it!
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful! Way to go on the hard work :)
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    LOVE IT!!! New Rules and the Roadmap are the way to go! Can't wait to finish the stages. You look TOP NOTCH. :) Way to go lady!!!
  • AnnabellKE
    AnnabellKE Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Great job Anna! You look fantastic!!
  • tempest501
    tempest501 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Be proud awesome transformation.
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Looking good!!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    You look great! And wow, 105 is really good!!!
  • vabchloser
    vabchloser Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You look GREAT!!! I have a friend that is 4'11" - 5'0" and I see how hard she has worked to recover from baby and I really do feel for you guys who are shorter. Every ounce counts!!

If people heard this, I'm sure they would say 12 lbs is no big deal, but to see those 12 lbs in action, well you look great...and younger...and fit!!

Congrats and good luck reaching your goals!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!