Not to be gross but.....

Options
When a person starts to diet after they been binging and NOT drinking enough water...Is it possible that some of the weight gain is not only water retention but that of constipation???

Replies

• mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    Anything is possible. I know a lot of Drs and Dieticians say to drink a ton of water to help the healthy food "move", but you would think someone would notice if they weren't moving their bowels as frequently as before or frequently enough. :wink:
  • Carolfp
    Carolfp Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have read that constipation does lead to weight gain and prevents weight loss, because the bad toxins and substances that were eaten (specially if one has been binge eating fatty foods) are not removed from the body. These toxins could therefore be reabsorbed when the stool is in the digestive system (as one of the small intestine's job is to reabsorb water into the body). Preventing weight loss.

Additionally if a person is not drinking enough water and is dehydrated, the constipation worsens.

AND you know what sucks the most about constipation?
    Anal fissures... and Hemorrhoids.. worst pain ever.
    T^T
    lol,
    LOTS OF WATER, PLUMS, KIWI FRUITS, WHEAT BISCUITS-,
    :3 and if it's really bad, do take laxatives
    avoid the consequences ;_;
  • chunkysmurfette
    Options
    I can admit that during the last couple of months ive been eating chips and chocolate bars daily along with gingerale...It was my nightly treat!!! But now since im drinking more Im starting to move some..And I notice Ive lost my appetite even tho im drinkin more..Yesturday it was like i was hungry ever 3 hrs,but today hardly no appetite at all..I wonder if thats because things are moving down and hence making me feel "fuller"Only drank 4 cups of water today and just the thought of drinking another glass makes me wanna hurrl,lol!! Ill see how I feel tommorow!! Perhaps my body will straighten itself out!!!
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    Give it a couple weeks, you'll start to feel regular again. :happy:

The first couple weeks of eating better I couldn't stop going to the bathroom. TMI, but truth. LoL!
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    The amount of water you need to drink each day will vary and swing. It depends on how much water you've lost, how much water you've ingested in your foods, etc. You don't want to feel like you're swimming, but you don't want to feel like you're walking through a desert either.

Good luck. Maybe track your symptoms in the notes of your food tracker so you can see how different foods, eating habits, drinking habits, and exercise habits affect how you feel and pass?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It's not just possible, it's likely. Even if you aren't constipated, a lot of the time starting a diet means eating more fibrous foods, and one of the jobs of fiber is to bulk up the stool and carry water with it, meaning there's an increase in the volume of waste moving through your digestive system, which can present as increased weight on the scale. If you're constipated, in addition to adding fiber and water, probiotics can help, too.

But, remember that it generally takes 75-80 hours for food to move all the way through your digestive system, and fast changes aren't generally a good thing.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Yes, uncrapped poop makes up a component of your body weight :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

/thread
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Try drinking warm H20. I fill up an empty water bottle and and open up my throat and let the H20 flow right back. A few times a day I do this. First thing in the morn before coffee I drink a 16oz warm water and it does push everything through. You will be surprised in the way you feel.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    So what you are saying is.... I would be much lighter if I weren't so full of ****?
  • chunkysmurfette
    Options
    Didnt think of that!! You always hear 8 glasses a day point blank!!!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options

True, but it NEVER seems to be as much as it felt like.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

True, but it NEVER seems to be as much as it felt like.
    So funny. ⬆⬆
    ???????????????????????????? BTW the old adage of eight, 8 oz cups of water is just an average, but to be more accurate, consume a 1/2 ounce of water per pound of body weight. If you weigh 150 consume 75 oz, if you weigh 180 pounds consume 90 ounces. Also as an FYI, water really should be termed "fluids/liquids/water" but should not include diuretic type beverages such as alcohol, caffeinated, and soda type beverages... It should be non-soda beverages such as decaf tea, broth based soups (as opposed to cream based) as well as foods high in water content such as watermelon and citrus fruit.
    A great remedy for occasional relief of constipation is Senna Tea made by Traditional Medicines... Tastes great and really helps move things along with no negative issues. Checkout the link: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=senna+tea&hl=en&client=safari&num=20&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&bvm=bv.41524429,d.dmQ&biw=1024&bih=672&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=9652227941607050292&sa=X&ei=FBgGUeStJ-qL0QGuqIHoBw&ved=0CG8Q8gIwAQ
  • luckyshelly06
    luckyshelly06 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like to drink green smoothies and take psyllium husk daily to get things moving.. psyllium husk is best mixed with a juice or flavored water (its like drinking wood pulp) but it is a natural colon cleanser.... I highly recommend it :)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    So what you are saying is.... I would be much lighter if I weren't so full of ****?

Just...BRAVO!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I like to drink green smoothies and take psyllium husk daily to get things moving.. psyllium husk is best mixed with a juice or flavored water (its like drinking wood pulp) but it is a natural colon cleanser.... I highly recommend it :)

Lol, Metamucil is psyllium husk. I guess fiber is a "colon cleanser"....:huh:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Is today NCP? National Constipation Day what is up with all the poopy threads today? Am I missing something?
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Who would have thought that if I didn't crap the mass that I put into my mouth that it would effect my weight.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I can't figure out then why I weigh MORE after going to the toilet. Guaranteed. I'' weight before going, then right after..... I'll put on about 500g to 1kg.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I can't figure out then why I weigh MORE after going to the toilet. Guaranteed. I'' weight before going, then right after..... I'll put on about 500g to 1kg.

Your scale is imprecise.