HiiT cardio

Options

Replies

• GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Cant stress it enough folks do your own research and find what works for you, you can find info supporting both sides of anything and everything the KEY is to find what works for you!!! Im not claiming to KNOW it all, i just KNOW what works for me and can only encourage you to find what works for you as well, instead of taking my or Pu_239 info and running with it!!!!
  • GiGi76
    Options
    Yes I know what Lean Gains is, It's a knock off of Warrior Diet.

Sounds like you're trying to apply principals from "The Stubborn Fat Solution - Lyle Mcdonald" That would be good for fat cells that have the " Alpha1-adrenergic receptors" that method would work if you're really lean. Most people aren't that line, so they're just wasting your time. It triggers different fat tissue.

Nope try again! :wink:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    HIIT works for many like me because we can't stand long duration cardio bouts. I get so bored walking on a treadmill after 5 minutes, but can do HIIT for 20 minutes and not get bored.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • GiGi76
    Options
    HIIT works for many like me because we can't stand long duration cardio bouts. I get so bored walking on a treadmill after 5 minutes, but can do HIIT for 20 minutes and not get bored.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I feel the same!!! Works for me and love it!!! I cant walk for hours on end...... well maybe if im walking on the beach!!!!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    HIIT is a great way to pound out some cardio. But it won't help you "lose weight" if you're not eating in a deficit. The purpose of exercise isn't for weight loss; it's for fitness. That said, exercise increases your TDEE, so it may make it easier to achieve a calorie deficit.
  • GiGi76
    Options
    HIIT is a great way to pound out some cardio. But it won't help you "lose weight" if you're not eating in a deficit. The purpose of exercise isn't for weight loss; it's for fitness. That said, exercise increases your TDEE, so it may make it easier to achieve a calorie deficit.

TRUE TRUE!!! Diet has to be on point if you want a six pack!!!! :smile:
  • nehamittal15
    Options
    Great man! You seem to have lost a lot
  • runningfataway
    Options
    I've heard there is a bigger residual calorie burn with HIIT too. You're metabolism is elevated for several hours after.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    LOL this is why at the bottom of the page it says ***Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.***

I adore HIIT!!! I can do a 2 hour long walking whatever and its boring and your constantly wondering if it's almost done, but 20 minutes of HIIT and you feel A-MAZE-ING! js.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter if you do HIIT or LSD(long stead distance). If calorie burn is the same. You can burn more calories in less time doing HIIT and finish your workout sooner, that's about it.

I believe in both but its not the same thing!!! Here is a good article to help you understand the difference and how best you can benefit from them both!! And just for the record it is LISS (Low intensity steady state) cardio! ;-)

http://www.simplyshredded.com/cardio-for-fat-loss-high-intensity-interval-training-cardio-vs-low-intensity-steady-state-cardio.html

LISS is a newer term. LSD is the original term. You know how TDEE is a new term, it used to be called AMR (Active Metabolic Rate).

I just read that page, and those studies are very misleading.
    A study conducted by Wilson et al. From the University of Tampa, FL, shows when you add in LISS you get a temporary boost in weight loss. Subjects lost a couple of pounds the first week and after that they lost nothing. This happened because their metabolism completely adjusted to that and that became their new set point to what they had to do just to maintain. LISS with a low calorie diet is terrible for fat loss and could cause muscle loss. During a low calorie diet, LISS cardio is more catabolic (muscle wasting) towards muscle as opposed to HIIT cardio being much more muscle sparing.

When you do HIIT you're constantly pushing yourself, pushing your limits, there is no real adaption, cause you're always striving for more. LISS can be adaptive, you have to keep on increasing your speed or our distance as you get better so it's not adaptive. Your metabolism doesn't "ADJUST" to a new level.
    (4) In the same study by Wilson et al. It showed that LISS caused more muscle loss than HIIT. HIIT caused more muscle retention because when you’re doing LISS (say fast paced walking) you’re not activating muscles the same way as if you were lifting weights.
    This doesn't make much sense, you ever try to run after heavy squats? or run then try to squats? Doesn't work out well. Seems like these subject just did HIIT or LISS. They weren't part of a strength training routine. If they where, i can promise you HIIT will more than likely cause loss of LBM(Lean body mass). HIIT INCREASES THE RISK OF OVER TRAINING AND BURN OUT.

Actually i do run after heavy squats and i do heavy squats after running as well!!! Heavy Lifters & Physique Pros who are interested in building muscle as well as having low body fat will include HIITS, if used properly there isnt a loss of muscle!!! I would go into more detail about this but im not here to argue a point when someone is only interested in always being right even if there is plenty of evidence to back the opposite of what they believe!!! I know what works for me and ive had GREAT results, so you keep doing what your doing and i will keep doing what im doing!!! And FYI its Long Slow Distance (LSD) not Long stead (steady i think you meant to say) distance..... you are combining the two!!!! I remember now why i avoid the forums!!! Have a nice day!!!!!

I never seen a pro do HIIT.

Here is an article by alan aragon who went in to great detail. Fat burning doesn't increase over a 24hr period of time, assuming same number of calories are burned per workout.
    Saris & Schrauwen conducted a similar study on obese males using a high-intensity interval protocol versus a low-intensity linear one [6]. There was no difference in fat oxidation between high & low intensity treatments at 24 hrs. In addition, the high-intensity group actually maintained a lower respiratory quotient in postexercise. This means that their fat oxidation was higher than the low-intensity group the rest of the day following the training bout, thus the evening out the end results at 24 hrs.
    http://www.alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-the-fat-burning-zone-fasted-cardio.html

HIIT>Steady state cardio.

From your article linked above by alanaragon:

"• In long-term studies, both linear high-intensity and HIIT training is superior to lower intensities on the whole for maintaining and/or increasing cardiovascular fitness & lean mass, and are at least as effective, and according to some research, far better at reducing bodyfat."

Also, from exoerience, HIIT helped me bust through plateaus. I like SS cardio for fun....but for best results do HIIT.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

For the simple minded folk, such as myself, who didnt for a long time quite get TDEE, it's just as honest to say it burns calories thus negating some of the calories you eat....therefore making it easier to close the day at a deficit.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    Has anyone had any success in losing weight with HiiT Cardio training?

Yes, OP. yes.

ETA: as Taso said, you must also pay attention to eating.
  • TJMiddaugh
    TJMiddaugh Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    theres a continuing debate going on with a guy who is holding a bottle of alcohol in his hands. of course he is always right lol. thats why i dont go to bars anymore haha cheers to all and merry training :) im adapting HiiT to my training now too let the results speak for themselves
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options

every Pro I know DISCOURAGES Cardio altogether
  • GiGi76
    Options

every Pro I know DISCOURAGES Cardio altogether

Long bouts of cardio yes but a lot of them do incorporate HIITs because it doesnt kill progress from lifting, and im talking physique pros who are interested in low body fat! But diet is key to it all, no amount of exercise is going to off set a bad diet!
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    HIIT>Steady state cardio.

From your article linked above by alanaragon:

"• In long-term studies, both linear high-intensity and HIIT training is superior to lower intensities on the whole for maintaining and/or increasing cardiovascular fitness & lean mass, and are at least as effective, and according to some research, far better at reducing bodyfat."

Also, from exoerience, HIIT helped me bust through plateaus. I like SS cardio for fun....but for best results do HIIT.

You forgot to quote everything:
    "• In acute trials, fat oxidation during exercise tends to be higher in low-intensity treatments, but postexercise fat oxidation and/or energy expenditure tends to be higher in high-intensity treatments.
    • Fed subjects consistently experience a greater thermic effect postexercise in both intensity ranges.
    • In 24-hr trials, there is no difference in fat oxidation between the 2 types, pointing to a delayed rise in fat oxidation in the high-intensity groups which evens out the field.
    • In long-term studies, both linear high-intensity and HIIT training is superior to lower intensities on the whole for maintaining and/or increasing cardiovascular fitness & lean mass, and are at least as effective, and according to some research, far better at reducing bodyfat."

I have only said one thing through this entire topic, and piss keep on misunderstanding it. I am saying "You don't burn more fat assuming calorie burn is in the same in both cases."

Does this mean I am bashing HIIT? NO, does it mean I hate HIIT? NO. I don't care, i am spreading the truth, that's all. Do what you wish with it. you want to do HIIT do it, if you don't, then don't I don't care.

HIIT IS NOT greater than LISS. The one that is greater is the one you can do. When i first started out i thought "the best way was HIIT" so i'd do it, and it was just to tough on me and make me want to stop. I wouldn't recommend it for beginners, there is a greater chance of failure.

I highly doubt to anyone who said "HIIT HELPED ME BREAK A PLATEAU" that you kept your calorie burn constant as well.

It's probably true that HIIT helps preserve ean tissue due to the fact if you're ONLY DOING HIIT. If you're in a intense resistance program, I wouldn't recommend it. It can greatly increase the risk of over training. You can do it if your workouts are short, like 40mins lifting one day 20mins HIIT or a format like that.

I was just sharing the information that you selectively did NOT share. Do whatever you want with your body. OP asked a question, I answered. I went from "obese" to <20% bf with a combination of LISS, HITT, heavy lifting, and proper diet. Whatever you think about my "calorie burn" doing HIIT, the fact remains that it DiD help me get my weight and body fat lower than it has ever been in my life. You do what you want. I don't care what you do with your body. But for me, HIIT is key to my fitness program and I stand by that.

ETA: and by "helping me break a plateau" I mean the only change I did was do HIIT instead of steady state. My run distance and times remained the same. The way I ran them changed.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    Also, dude, if HIIT is too hard for you, obviously don't do it. Anything is better than nothing or an injury. I'm not bashing you and saying LISS is a waste of time. I lost a large amount of weight doing only SS long runs (tho that was actually bad for my knees). The question wasn't whether or not a noob should do HIIT, the question was which is better. And the fact remains that 20 mins or 2 miles of high intensity interval running is gonna do more for you than 20 mins/2 miles of SS ten minute mile running.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options

What kind of pro are you talking about?
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    Let me tell you the truth. No one will lose weight with HIIT or LISS if you don't burn more calories than you consume.
    Doing HIIT doesn't produce weight loss, Burning more calories than you consume does.

Due to injuries and complications. I burned more fat then most of these people who do HIIT. I lost over 30lbs without setting foot in the gym these last few months due to an injury.

Good for you!
    Your first statement is accurate- yes. It's a calories in calories out world. HIIT burns more calories than steady state for the same amount of time. I don't get your comment "i burned more fat than most of these peopel who do HIIT".... how did you measure that? Also, comment about gym is irrelevant. I don't do HIIT in a gym.

Here's another way I look at it: LISS is just fine, until you are trying to reach a bf% that is "athlete" level (and not just "fitness" so meanign less than 21% for women and less than 14% for men). Thats when you want to spend your time doing a combo of HIIT and lifting and not waste time with LISS.
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I love to do HIIT training. I do it on the treadmill 2 times a week as part of my routine and i love it. Definitely gets me sweating!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!