Question about 30 Day Shred

Options
I just finished day five level one of Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, and I have a question for people who have finished the program or know a lot about circuit training in general.

Right now I am using 5 and 10 lb weights for the strength training portions of the workout. On some exercises, the 10lb weights are extremely challenging, to the point where my arms are shaking and I have to take a 5 second break. My question is, do you think it is worth it to push myself that hard with the 10 lb weights or to use the 5 lb weights and complete all of the reps? I don't have any weights between 5 and 10 at the moment.

Second question. I am to the point where I can complete the pushup portion of the workout, by using my knees instead of toes. Do you think it is worth it to move to regular push ups, even though i probably can't do more than a couple right now, or to just do all knee and get more reps in?

Thanks for any advice!!

Replies

• melt2svelte
    Options
    I just finished day 10 of level 2. So hopefully that is enough experience to answer your questions. :)

I am using 5 lb weights. I would not even consider doing anything more than that, and I carry around a 40lb toddler all day! I believe they were using either 3lb weights or 5 lb weights in the video. I'd stick with 5lb weights MAX.

As for the push ups, I would do as many as I can of the full push ups, and then drop to the knees when you can't do any more regular ones.
  • SchizJophrenic
    SchizJophrenic Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am only Level 1 Day 5, but have had a personal trainer for the last year who I do circuits with.

Weights: Only use what you can lift and finish workouts, perfectly!! without losing form!!, the whole way though. It is better to have lower weights and better form than higher weights and poor form.
    I started on 2kg (4.4lb) and the only one I start to slip on is the slide lunge one. I am going to try 5kg (11lb) tomorrow, but if form is poor I am going back to 2kg.

As for push ups, I do as many full push ups as I can, and then go down to the easy ones, that way you are pushing yourself to continue, but still completing the full time amount.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    My husband is a personal trainer. He has told me that if you want to build strength then use HEAVIER weights and LESS reps; if you want to TONE then use LIGHTER weights and MORE reps. So when I do 30DS or RI30 I use my 5lb weights and try to sneak in extra reps. With the push-ups, try doing as many as you can from your toes, then when you can't do anymore go to your knees... eventually you will never have to go to your knees :) Keep up the great work!!
  • futurestarz
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!