Warning, TMI gross topic ha ha

Options
Okay so I'm very over weight and have always had problems with being totally regular but I've made the lifestyle change going on three weeks now of working out almost every single day and eating right. I don't starve myself at all, I try to eat lots of healthy, whole foods. I still eat what I want but I portion myself so I never go over my calorie limit. But since I've done this, I have not been going to the bathroom at all hardly. I drink over 8 cups of water daily as well! at first when I started I didn't go for 6 days and had to resort to a laxative and now I am still having this issue. It's freaking me out to have all these toxins in me and know that its unhealthy and slowing my weight lose down. I don't understand, I figured eating right would get things going better!?!?! I did start taking my iron pills again in the beginning but I figured that was the key to my problem so I've stopped taking those as well as of about 5 days ago. Did anyone else have this issue when they first started out and what is your best natural remedy for constipation because even the "gentle" laxative had me almost dying! Sorry if I gross anyone out but I'm curious to see if anyone else has this problem and knows how to help me cause I don't have health insurance to be asking a doctor or dietician.

Replies

• KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Okay so I'm very over weight and have always had problems with being totally regular but I've made the lifestyle change going on three weeks now of working out almost every single day and eating right. I don't starve myself at all, I try to eat lots of healthy, whole foods. I still eat what I want but I portion myself so I never go over my calorie limit. But since I've done this, I have not been going to the bathroom at all hardly. I drink over 8 cups of water daily as well! at first when I started I didn't go for 6 days and had to resort to a laxative and now I am still having this issue. It's freaking me out to have all these toxins in me and know that its unhealthy and slowing my weight lose down. I don't understand, I figured eating right would get things going better!?!?! I did start taking my iron pills again in the beginning but I figured that was the key to my problem so I've stopped taking those as well as of about 5 days ago. Did anyone else have this issue when they first started out and what is your best natural remedy for constipation because even the "gentle" laxative had me almost dying! Sorry if I gross anyone out but I'm curious to see if anyone else has this problem and knows how to help me cause I don't have health insurance to be asking a doctor or dietician.

i had the same problem but not quite as bad. I did not have to take a laxative or anything however what I did do is take some fiber powder, and that helped. I found the first few weeks when I started is when the problems were and now the last few days I havent taken any fiber and I seem to be back to normal. So maybe try that? I also drink 10-12 cups a day of water so maybe drink more water as well?
  • brittneysegel
    Options
    I was thinking of trying that fiber powder actually! I try and eat a lot of fiber throughout the day but never seem to get very much really. I will have to check that out, thanks!
  • markdlennon
    markdlennon Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of trying that fiber powder actually! I try and eat a lot of fiber throughout the day but never seem to get very much really. I will have to check that out, thanks!

I really enjoy the Fiber One bars. Some of them have 35% daily Fiber in them....look at the boxes, and try one out. Some/most wouldn't call them "clean eating" but if it's one way to up your fiber intake...then so be it.

I love them.
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a probiotic capsule?
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I used to be very regular when i didn't change my eating habits..now not so much..

I have started eating metamucil apple wafers, and everything whole grain for the extra fiber and anything with more fiber. Fiber one is becoming my best friends and I am still not completely regular.

I suggest tracking your fiber on your macros so you can make you are making your daily goals. Good luck to you.. I struggle with this problem so your not alone.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    there are natural things that you could factor in... prunes, dried apricots, licorice. beer often works for me!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    When you change your diet, your body often responds by "backing itself up". The problem will eventually solve itself, keep up with your healthy eating and your body will adjust to processing the new food.

For some relief now, try extra fibre, veggies, black coffee, licorice, prunes, probiotics, or a beer.
  • brittneysegel
    Options
    Maybe try a probiotic capsule?

I have actually been thinking of looking into these cause I've heard good things about them and how everyone should add them to their diet but I don't know anything about what they do or if there is a certain kind or millagram that's best
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Yogurt, lots of fresh fruits, and fresh/raw coconut milk.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I should mention I also have IBS.. and it seems to have gotten better.. someone mention pro-biotics.. I hear those are supposed to help with digestion..Unfortunately they didn't work for me..OH well..
  • tstevy19
    tstevy19 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    PRUNE JUICE. I have Celiac disease and 28 food allergies, and whenever I eat something I'm not supposed to, everything stops. Depending on how severe the back up is, I'll drink anywhere between 4 ounces - 12 ounces and it always gets me moving within 20 minutes. Works for my husband too. I try to drink 4-8 ounces every morning with breakfast and I don't have problems with irregularity, or problems with cramping, gas, etc. If you're super backed up, drink 4-12 ounces and then wait at least 20-40 minutes. If nothing, drink a little more. Also, I made the mistake once of buying the store brand because it was the cheapest. It was awful, I wound up returning it. It's around $5, but the Sunsweet 100% prune juice with the yellow label is actually quite tastey and is a little thicker, which is why it works so well.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Tracking your fiber is an option to make sure you're getting enough. And if taking iron pills, a stool softner won't hurt to take along with them. I was anemic for 2yrs after baby #2 and took iron pills regularly. They suck. Fiber choice tablets aren't bad either. You may also want to try drinking more water and see if that helps.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Truth be told, the metamucil wafers aren't bad - aren't bad at all. I recently started taking fiber gummies (jury's still out, though). Foodstuffs that work for me include high fiber cereal and milk (or any dairy for that matter), prune juice, apple juice... The problem, I've learned, with fiber supplements is that they don't really contribute as much fiber as you think (3-5g/serving)... sometimes it's better to look for foods with a higher insoluble fiber content.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    If you need a bit of a fix and find most laxatives harsh, polyethylene glycol (PEG) is pretty benign and effective. It's tasteless and colourless when added to liquids (hot or cold).

A lot of dietary changes seem to cause bowel issues. Increase your fibre, keep your water up and eventually things should settle down. I keep PEG in the medicine cabinet just in case, though. (Marketed as Restorolax here).
  • brittneysegel
    Options
    I'm totally going to get prunes and prune juice tomorrow and probably stop by a vitamin world and check out probiotics. I know if I wasn't having this issue, I'd probably be losing more weight weekly since I'm working out every day and always drink more then 8 cups of water (except today, I was a little short) :-) You guys are great! I'm excited to do this and myfitnesspal.com has been a serious motivator. I don't know very much about dieting but I'm learning A LOT! My body is just not learning as fast lol.