Should I up my calories or stay where I am?

Options
I am wearing a body media link. It says I am burning no less than 3300 calories and I'm not working out yet. I am currently at 1800 for a daily intake. I just don't know if I should stay where I am or change it. This is so confusing. Thank you for your help.

Replies

• BLMarlborough2
    Options
    3300 calories seems like a lot for mere maintenance, espeically since you aren't even working out, unless of course you have a very laborous job. The way I see it, the larger the deficit the better. So if your willpower is strong enough for 1800 calories, go for it. Make sure you stick to it though. If you NEED to up your calories because you are too hungry, as long as your in a deficit, go for it.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you currently losing at 1800 calories in an average week?

What do you do, daily activity wise, that's driving the number so high?

Unfortunately, I suspect your problem is in a gray area, where you may need to do some experimentation to see what the right answer is for you. With 100+ lbs to lose, you can afford a 1000 cal deficit, which would be too high for many MFP users- so that would put you at 2300 cals net intake for your target. If you feel like you could eat more, it might be worth experimenting going to 2300 calories for a while, give it some time, and see how you feel and if you're still losing predictably- at 2300 if should be ~2lbs/wk. Make sure if you adjust your calories you give it some time to level out before you decide if it's working or not. At this point, if you choose to add those calories, I would advise making sure to add nutritious choices to get you there.

If you go to 2300 cals, allow time to stabilize, and find you're losing less than 2lbs/wk, there is probably an error in the way bodymedia is calculating your needs.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    What's confusing about it?
  • boilerbabe69
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I don't think it is miscalculating. I am an active person. I average between 10,000-15,000 steps a day without leaving the house. I have a 2 year old grandson that I take care of and have an art studio in the house. I think after reading these posts I will just stay where I am cause I'm not hungry. Thanks again.