Hello, and advice please!

Options
Hello all! i'd love to find some friends here - i'm female, 49 and have about 1 and a half stone to lose. I'd also like some advice. I've been logged on for two weeks, and eating a LOT less than I was - no sugar at all apart from in fruit and a small amount of dried fruit in my muesli, almost no booze, and no snacking between meals except fruit. All meals hmemade and reasonably healthy - no fast food etc, no drinks except water and tea.
The first week I lost 5lbs and was delighted, but the second I put 2lbs back on. Am mystified! I know I need to do more exercise but find that hard because I work long hours (desk job) and have two kids. I was planning to try and get some better eating habits first, then start exercising, but maybe that won't work.
Any advice? My food diary is open...

Replies

• smarston2010
    Options
    My biggest suggestion is a 20 min walk everyday. Of will get you a few minutes to relax and time for just you. Sounds silly and simple, but I have seen amazing results
  • make sure you are drinking enough water you should drink half your weight in ounces a day so if you weigh 200lbs you should be drinking 100ounces of water per day it really helps you lose weight and feel full! good luck!! maybe eat more veggies then fruits also :)
  • Sarajo71
    Sarajo71 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi, how frustrating to gain 2 but it can happen, r u sure ur weighing at the same time each week (only once a week?) and if ur children r old enough, u cud take them out when u can? Walking is great fun if u can get them to join in a game like how many yellow cars they see? Or how many different leaves there are? U cud take them swimming? U can hav great fun playing water games and burn off lots of cals whilst enjoying qualiy time. I only know this coz I'm the same with mine... Good luck!
  • smarston2010
    Options
    And to the weighing thing, your weight fluctuates during the day. Try to weigh yourself same time all the time. First thing in the mourning seems to be the best for me.
  • lynnhughes731135
    Options
    Hi all of what everyone said is great advice. I would like to add if u want u can add me as a friend. I am 34 with 3kids and they are such good support
  • Liliansamata
    Liliansamata Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi, looking at your food diary, you have not logged any water or used your calorie allowance. it is important that you drink water . not eatingbenought, sends your body into starvation mode and will hold on to the weight.When I started in November 2012 , I lost 4lb the first week then nothing for three weeks. Which I found so frustrating and went off the rails. With support from MFP's I got back on track and now losing weight.
    Add me as a friend if you wish.
  • Julz868
    Julz868 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey There bgardiner, the weight loss road can be a very frustrating one with many hurdles along the way. Please dont loose heart and keep up your good eating habits and exercise regime. Its hard to say why you have put on weight after first loosing it. Exercise can increase muscle tone which obviously weighs more, I would love to view your food diary if you would allow me too. Remember to consume a higher calorie based breakfast and a lower one for dinner, in the evening the metabolism starts too slow down hence requiring fewer calories. Any extra calories that we dont need will be stored as fat. Remember to drink at least 2 litres of water and reduce the amount of salt as this can cause a little fluid retention and hence mask true weight loss. Give yourself time and a pat on the back for having a start on the weight loss journey. Good luck and hope I have been some help, please find me and friend me, julz868:smile:
  • bgardiner49
    bgardiner49 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Walking sounds good - even I can't think of an excuse not to do that!
  • bgardiner49
    bgardiner49 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the friendly, good advice. - I have obviously been weighing myself too often - after my first dramatically good week i was jumping on the scales every day. And not drinking enough water (though I always forget to log it, so it's not as bad as it looks). Feeling less gloomy tonight - remembering that this is going to be a slow process, and I mustn't get fixated on daily or weekly wieghts
  • fragilefingers
    fragilefingers Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    All the things people say and a cup of green tea everyday ♥