Treadmill Beginner!!

Options
I was wondering if anyone could tell me the average, or correct KM per hour and incline I should be jogging/running at for a 5k?

I don't have a clue and I want to start on the treadmill before looking silly running out on the streets!

Replies

• Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "correct" it is simply what you are most comfortable with. My advice, however, would be zero incline if you are a beginner. With regards speed, I personally find it better to run slowly but build up to covering the distance before trying to increase your speed. I would recommend maybe 8 or 8.5 km/hr for a beginner.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "correct" it is simply what you are most comfortable with. My advice, however, would be zero incline if you are a beginner. With regards speed, I personally find it better to run slowly but build up to covering the distance before trying to increase your speed. I would recommend maybe 8 or 8.5 km/hr for a beginner.

You shouldn't run, or walk for that matter, on a treadmill for any length of time at a zero incline....it can lead to shin splints, especially for a beginner. I would set the incline at .5 at least. Start off slow, and increase your speed as you feel more comfortable.
  • SarahR77777
    Options
    I have been "running" at a 1 incline and at 7.5 kph but its more like walking.

I will try 8 and try not to be scared to fall off the back haha!

Thanks