C25k

Options
As i am a newbie to exercise, I have been starting out my cardiovascular slowly, so i have been swimming 3 times a week for an hour for the last few weeks. Im now ready to start doing a bit more. So i was thinking of giving the C25K a go. Has anyone done this on an elliptical.....?

The reason i ask is because my daughter is in bed when i try to exercise so i cant really go out pounding pavements! But could do it at home... I dont plan on actually running a 5k im doing it more to train up my cardiovascular / weight loss. I know its more like interval training so would that be better to stick to?

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Using an elliptical is a great low-impact cardio workout, but it's not the same as running. Different mechanics involved. If your goal is improved cardio and weight loss then following the C25K certainly cannot hurt. Just speed up when they tell you to run and slow down when they tell you to walk. Add some resistance here and there to get the heart rate up.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I use a really good guided workout series called "Cardio Coach" (you can google it). It is HIIT and meant for use on any type of machine (elliptical, treadmill, etc). There are workouts that range from 40 min to over an hour.
    0400772 Posts: 80
    Options
    thanks for the reply. My heart rate goes through the roof as soon as i start to exercise... so been told to gently ease in hence why swimming to begin with. My resting heart rate is averagely 100 BPM!