i just got a gym membership

Options
i made the first step and got a membership at the ymca. i am not working and was lucky enough just to get the minimum ability to walk in the doors. you have to pay extra to get trainers to help you. something i can not afford yet. i have been using an elliptical at home for the past 3 weeks. i have gone for a couple walks outside. buts its hard to get out much. its very cold here with freezing rain. icky winter conditions. so now i have a gym with tons of equipment and im not sure where to start and what i should be doing! and being a larger girl its kinda intimidating seeing all these people running on treadmills and using weights. i know i need to get a trainers help. but in the meantime, what would anyone suggest i do? i like the cardio machines. im just clueless as far as how long and what programs and resistances i should be doing?

Replies

• poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Start out slow, use the ellipticals for a start then ask the peo[ple at the Y. I too go to my local Y and they will show you what each machine does and how to operate it.

Start out with a light weight training routine, then once you get used to it go online and find out what to do for certain areas you want to work on.

Friend me if you like and I will help all i can.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    the trainers should be able to point you in the right direction without you paying a penny! At the YMCA I go to, part of the job description for the trainer and the fitness monitor is to help members in general. I know for a fact that the trainer at my location would rather show me new exercises or check my squat form than push a broom around, or wipe down a machine for the millionth time.

the next time you go in, ask at the front desk about the "fitstart" class. It is a free mini class where a trainer takes a small group around and teaches them about the machines, or the cable machines.

Do not be afraid to ask for help from the pretty trainers just because you are the size you are. The trainer who works when I go in is 6ft of gorgeous 20-something male, and I was 80lbs overweight when I first started, but he was super sweet! I have yet to pay for a personal training session, yet he has taught me so much--I just ask if he has a minute to help me.
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    yesterday was my first day and got the tour of the place. today im taking my sister with and getting her all signed up. you have to make an appointment for the equipment demos. i hope me and my sister can do that together maybe. i just dont know why im so shy and scared when im in there.

at our ymca they have you pay $10 for every 30 minutes with a trainer. its advertised everywhere in the place. im not sure if every ymca is the same? but i do have two other locations in driving distance i could see?

maybe it being a sunday, it was slow. but i didn't see any ymca workers or trainers walking around when i was in the cardio and weight training rooms. but maybe that is different during the week too.
  • lornaloo3
    lornaloo3 Posts: 102
    Options
    $10 for 30 minutes with a trainer is not bad... my gym charges like 50 bucks for 35 minutes... see how often I get a trainer.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    It's always weird for the first while after you've joined a new gym. Even if you're an old pro at the gym, new people/equipment/setting is always a bit unsettling and strange. The best thing to do is just keep going and doing your thing, you'll be adjusted to the place before you know it.

As for your question about what to do, get your orientation and learn how to use everything. That should help you feel a little more at ease, as well as give you some ideas about what to do. Ask lots of questions of the person helping you out.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    yesterday was my first day and got the tour of the place. today im taking my sister with and getting her all signed up. you have to make an appointment for the equipment demos. i hope me and my sister can do that together maybe. i just dont know why im so shy and scared when im in there.

its hard to be confident in a new situation when you are insecure about life in general. It is even harder to go into the gym full of pretty people when you feel like a lump--believe me, I know.

The good thing about the Y is that there are all kinds of people there. In the last year, it seems like every time I got down about my progress, God put someone in my path to encourage me. This summer it was a muscled black guy who had recovered from a stroke...another time it was 2 older ladies who I helped with the treadmills who then told me they noticed how often I was in there...even the gorgeous trainer (who doesn't even know my name) knows my schedule and stuff.

I was scared to go in there at first, but now I love it--this week I am going to renew my membership for another year--I cannot imagine not being able to harass Bob about not wanting to wear his oxygen, or miss seeing the progress the one lady makes as she recovers from her stroke ( right now she has to have one hand taped to the seated elliptical)...not to mention the weight lifting :D
  • taekwonkenpo
    taekwonkenpo Posts: 1,004
    Options
    Do EVERY thing that brings you to love the gym. Do not be embarrassed. Do not worry about what anyone else thinks. If you ever want to use a machine or do an exercise that you see someone else doing then go right up and ask them how to do it. (don't talk forever just ask them, they are busy working out as well)

Just go often and do your best. It is your job to do the work if you want to make your goals.

Good luck.
  • leketchup
    leketchup Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Does your gym do free assessment? If no well personal trainer for at least one hour all the way, just to put you on right track, teach you awareness and safety. Advice on diet and little motivation can't go wrong, all the best with your journey.
  • melissarina
    melissarina Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    If there's something specific you want to try, or a goal you want to work towards, use google and youtube - you can find a lot of instructional videos and webpages to help you.
  • tndejong
    Options
    they dont do any free assessments. would be nice! im going to get a trainers help. but like i said, i am unemployed and lucky enough to move some bills around just for the membership. $10 may not seem like much. but with our grocery bill going up because of the healthier menu and this membership fee. i can only take it a little at a time until im working again. im just happy i could make this even work! i got my fiance to switch our cable provider to satellite to save money so we could afford the membership. i so smart lol!
  • leketchup
    leketchup Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This world needs more positive thinkers like you, very well done ;)
  • guiletur
    guiletur Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You guys are all speaking from the US, right? Here, in Brazil, once you paid for the monthtly membership the trainer will help you whenever you need it. We can't pay a trainer from the gym exclusively to train just one member, even for a short period of time. Instead, they stay around and when you change from a equipment to another they come to help you, if you need it, specially in your first days at the gym.
  • tndejong
    Options
    it sounds like this is different in the usa. here it varies from place to place. but to see a trainer, most places charge extra to have that kind of service. most places will do an orientation of the machines and services. but its up to you to pay for what ever additional services you want.

when i looked around. the girls who were running the desks and even the child care were young 16-18 year olds and didn't seem like they would know too much to help lol. i could be wrong! but even a couple didn't look too healthy.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    when i looked around. the girls who were running the desks and even the child care were young 16-18 year olds and didn't seem like they would know too much to help lol. i could be wrong! but even a couple didn't look too healthy.

So you're worried about people judging you, yet you are judging people... That sounds like a great way to start.

Anyway, I suggest that you try out a few group exercise classes. Generally they are free, and most places have a ton to choose from.

At my new gym, I'm taking a yoga class on Monday nights, and a Spin class on Saturdays. In between, I'll lift weights or maybe do the elliptical or something.

Also, it's really easy to save up 10 dollars. That's like one less fast food meal a week or something. Plus when buying healthier food, look for stuff that is in season and on sale.. that will help the bills a lot.
  • tndejong
    Options
    wow! i love how there is always someone who has to sound nasty on the forums. I might be judging others in the gym. But not in a negative way. And if you read what i originally posted, i was asking for help as to where to start. You have to give me some credit for making that first step to get the membership! I am very over weight and i am going to be a little self conscious going into an unfamiliar environment! anyone would!

$10 dollars may not seem like much to you. but it is for me! i don't receive any unemployment benefits and have been off work since November. cut out one fast food item? seriously? i have ate out ONCE since i started on here! i had to cut down my bills to afford the $60 membership. plus to make the commitment to lose weight, my grocery bills went up so i can buy fresh veggies and less processed foods. also other expenses went up. i have had to buy new shoes so i can work out. new clothes cause i just lost almost 30 pounds in a month. among other things. you don't know me and my situation.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    they dont do any free assessments. would be nice! im going to get a trainers help. but like i said, i am unemployed and lucky enough to move some bills around just for the membership. $10 may not seem like much. but with our grocery bill going up because of the healthier menu and this membership fee. i can only take it a little at a time until im working again. im just happy i could make this even work! i got my fiance to switch our cable provider to satellite to save money so we could afford the membership. i so smart lol!
    I just joined the YMCA too! It is a shame yours doesn't do the free assessments. Are there other locations in you area that do? It would be worth checking out. There are loads of beginning weight training programs online and instruction videos. Here is a good place to check out http://www.stumptuous.com/
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    wow! i love how there is always someone who has to sound nasty on the forums. I might be judging others in the gym. But not in a negative way. And if you read what i originally posted, i was asking for help as to where to start. You have to give me some credit for making that first step to get the membership! I am very over weight and i am going to be a little self conscious going into an unfamiliar environment! anyone would!

$10 dollars may not seem like much to you. but it is for me! i don't receive any unemployment benefits and have been off work since November. cut out one fast food item? seriously? i have ate out ONCE since i started on here! i had to cut down my bills to afford the $60 membership. plus to make the commitment to lose weight, my grocery bills went up so i can buy fresh veggies and less processed foods. also other expenses went up. i have had to buy new shoes so i can work out. new clothes cause i just lost almost 30 pounds in a month. among other things. you don't know me and my situation.

Calm down sparky.

If you weren't so busy yelling, you see that I gave you other tips and ideas. I suggest you actually go back and read my post before getting all defensive.

BTW, you were judging them in a negative way by saying they didn't look like they could be much help and that a couple didn't look healthy.
  • JamieG8991
    JamieG8991 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    If your gym offers Zumba, I highly recomend it! It's low impact and it's so much fun!!
  • tndejong
    Options
    i am not going to take advice from a gal who looks no more the 16 that is way bigger then i am that is chugging a mountain dew lol.

i am going to a zumba class tonight actually! im going to try an early morning spin class tuesday:)
    0400772 Posts: 80
    Options
    Reading some of the posts from OP and can completely relate,. I HATE going to new situations and places. ie gym as im so embarased by how i look. It rules my life. I dont go to the gym because the only times i can go to gym (After work) its really busy and i cant last 5 mins on a eliptical ! lol