Doing The Plan on my own . . .

Options
So, I have been a client of Lyn-Genet 2x. Each time, I have lost weight and kept it off while watching my food, but I frequently slide right back into the burgers, cookies, multiple lattes . . . you know - nothing healthy and no greens or veggies. My problem is making the time to cook and prepare things that I can eat that are good for me.

So, now the book is out and I can read the instructions that the nutritionist would give me by email. Awesome. I started on Tuesday - I did a modified cleanse, no coffee, sugar, wine, - on day 1 and 2 - no meat at lunch, soup/salad/veggies. On Day 3, i ate simple plan friendly food. Not a lot of cooking, but works with me. Today is Saturday and I am down from 154.2 to 149.6 = 4.6 pounds. I have had coffee and wine and chocolate for the last 2 days. I had a toasted cheese sandwich for dinner one night.

I am very excited to see if simplifying the meal time with plan friendly foods helps with my ability to sustain the results.

Replies

• wjleffi
    wjleffi Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am on day 3 of the cleanse and am down 2 pounds. My stomach is feeling better already and it so nice to finally see the scale come down! When I first looked at the food I wasn't sure if I would like it, but it's been good tastes with such simple foods. Excited to see how it works and learn what foods my body responds to.
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! I finally found pals going Lyn-Genet's TP. I started on 1/22/13. So far, I lost 5lbs and tested reactive for Goat milk's cheese (yesterday). Today, I am doing the 'friendly' day.

Please feel free to friend me so that we can share are our food logs. I am trying to follow the program as suggested in the book.
    I feel like Lyn has written the book for me.
    Cheers!
  • slprout
    slprout Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Today was day 2 of detox...lots of muscle aches today and yesterday and I am tired. Thought I already ate healthy, just goes to show that not all healthy foods are good for everyone. Looking forward to chicken tomorrow for dinner, veggies are filling but I love my proteins.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I skimmed The Plan by Lyn-Genet Recitas a few weeks ago. It looked promising at first. You eat less, you exercise more, yet you gain weight, due to, drum roll please, low-grade inflammation from being sensitive to certain so-called "healthy" foods. Nothing wrong with such an individual approach, but I had my eye set on insulin resistance, but found nothing of the sort. It may be there, but I didn't see it. The Virgin Diet by JJ Virgin, liked by Mark Hyman, mentions and explains it. Heck, even Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet does. Flat Belly Diet! Diabetes by Liz Vaccariello captivatingly outlines how chronic inflammation by way of visceral fat promotes insulin resistance, which leads to diabetes. What to eat and what not to, if you want to lower your visceral fat. That kind of fat that's way in there by your belly and can't be felt by pulling your skin. So I wonder how efficient it is to go in a silver lining search of your particular reactive foods until you have taken care of what you already know is bad for any of us. But don't let that stop you though!
  • territbo
    territbo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I started the Plan 20 days ago and I'm down 9.2 lbs and that's with a 7 day loss due to me actually being reactive to Chickpeas. I rebooted to day 3 and has been pretty smooth since. I did react to bread. One slice of bread at lunch = 1lb weight gain for me the next day and 2+days to get back to the pre bread test weight. I was Never over weight when I was young. I was fit and athletic. Had two kids lost all the weighht after each. But time marches on and after age 40 - 42 the pounds started creeping on and honestly no matter what I did I could not get the weight to drop. I'm shocked how much weight I've lost this month. No counting calories. But its a lot of work the first couple of days with cooking the soups and getting all the shopping for the first few days so you have it on hand. I'm lucky I only needed to go to two different stores to find everything on the list.

@siprout - during detox I had terrible headaches for three days and then they cleared. I also had bad chin and calf cramps at night. They stopped after day four. Also losing weight w/wine and salt free potato chips :)
  • brewdays
    brewdays Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Very cool to see that there are others on site that are trying this Plan to determine what they are allergic to. Just some back ground about me and why this appealed to me. During my early 20's i started to have outbreaks of Eczema mostly on my hands and sometime my torso. After years +15 years of putting up with this even to the point where my palms and finger tips would bleed I met an acupuncturist that suggested I get some food allergy testing conducted and that eczema was most likely a side affect of my body dealing with food allergies. After testing with an recommended allergist I found a lot of allergies to nuts including pistachio, almond, walnuts which i removed from my diet and my skin made a remarkable improvement.

So when i heard about The Plan i quickly became interested and read the book and started The Plan a few weeks ago. So far it does appear to deliver on its goal of identifying foods that are problematic although in my case it appears that i am getting data that i do NOT want to hear about. I have tested positive for Gluten allergy when i tried bread for the first time my weight went up the next day by .4 pounds and then the next day by 2 pounds. At first this had me a bit perplexed but after i thought about it it tends to make sense that if my body was fighting inflammation the day after i exposed it to something allergenic it retained the calories and water that I provided my body the next Friendly day. It took about 3-4 days to get my body back to what I felt was normal and then I have continued testing from there. I am about 15-20 days into testing and about 13 pounds lost but I am also running a lot more than i normally run which is not exactly inline with her recommendations but since i am not drinking or eating much i want to get the biggest return that i can. :)
  • brewdays
    brewdays Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Has anybody had reactions to food besides weight gain?

Was the weight gain the next day or more than one day past the trial food day?

I was weak the other day and had two handfuls of Wheat thins and a Rye Beer in the next two hours i got a headache and my stomach started cramping like i was getting the stomach flu or something. Then it seemed to go away and i felt ok the in about 3 hours. I think its related to the Wheat Thins but wanted to know if anybody else felt like this with any foods?

The next day i was up .6 pounds and then today i was up another 1 lbs even thou my calorie intact has been under 1500 and i have ran the last three days so something seems wrong.
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    @brewdays - I did have reactions that lasted for 2 full days even while I was on the friendly menu. I basically had bloating and constipation (no BM for 2 days). I reacted to goat's milk cheese and egg whites.
  • montemobile
    Options
    Have you all found the group? I think there are currenlty 5 members but I, for one, could use all the support I can find!

Just got back on board after making it through 6 days on the plan earlier in the month. I'm kind of "winging" it with a modified cleanse (days 1-3) and jump to day 6 to test a new protein, since I already know the results of days 1-6 for me. So far, so good. I came back to the plan because of how much better I was sleeping! I am a mom, school teacher and NOT a morning person. Mornings kill me! But I wake up almost refreshed on the plan. Weight loss is a bonus for me! Since my original start on the plan, I've lost 5 of my 10 "just won't budge" pounds.

I've been using myfitnesspal for years to track calories. Now I'm using it to track my weight loss, fat, sodium, and protein. So glad there is a group here... I think my co-workers are getting sick of hearing me talk about it!
  • bry8iyze
    bry8iyze Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hey this is a response to MisTesh. I too have been researching insulin resistance convinced it was the reason for my failure to lose weight. I tried the belly fat diet like other low carb plans, I couldn't stick to it for long, I was hungry all the time. I also did alot of research on low thyroid and thyroid resistence. Then I found Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker who has been researching the link between toxic mold exposure and weight gain due to leptin resistence and it all started to click. The cause he says is inflammation from the mold exposure. Inflammatory cytokines block your receptors for not just leptin, but also thyroid and insulin!! I'd been exposed to mold in my home for 12 years, during which time I steadily gained weight and felt terrible. Though I'm out of the moldy environment, some people can't process mold toxins so the effects can linger on. I was ready to find a doc to do expensive lab tests to show my leptin was messed up when I found saw Lyn-Genet on Dr. Oz. She doesn't get into the chemistry of inflammation in her book, but beleive me, it's there. Inflamation is why you're insulin, thyroid and leptin reistant but instead of getting into that, she just gives you the nuts and bolts of how to find what's inflammatory for YOU! What I would advise, don't worry about insulin resistence or leptin, I've spent hundreds of dollars on herbs and vitamins that are supposed to treat them as well as inflammation but NOTHING, i repeat nothing has worked as well for me as a mere 3 weeks on The Plan. You can't "skim' the book and get any benefit so don't bother. It's a blueprint and it only works if you follow it exactly. Yes it takes comittment, but for people who have a real problem with weight that won't budge without extraordinary measures, following the Plan is no worse than any other cockamamie, restrictive diet we've ever tried. The benefits are pretty immediate. Suddenly my brain fog was gone. I dont feel hungry all the time, I don't crave sweets and starches (or anyting really), I don't have constant heartburn. The list goes on but you get the idea. It takes alot of home cooking, you can't buy these foods at a convenience store! But the rewards are already outweighing the inconvenience by a long shot. But where is The Plan group on Fitness Pal! I want in!
  • bry8iyze
    Options
    You said you "ran the last three days". this could be your problem. Don't run every day! Go back and read what Lyn-Genet says about over-excercising! And yes I get awful heartburn from most grains so gastro symptoms sure can be a reaction and it can take 72 hours (3 days) for a reaction to calm down.
  • Agg1e1973
    Options
    This is my first visit to this board. Is there a group for "The Plan"? I am at about day 14 with 7.2 pounds gone.
  • bry8iyze
    Options
    Oh and the Support Group on MFP for The Plan is called: "The Plan Lyn-Genet Recitas Support Group"
  • GmaQueenBee
    GmaQueenBee Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've been on The Plan for 24 days and have only lost 4 pounds because I keep testing reactive to foods. So far it's been pork, potatoes, and wheat. On day 14 I restarted at day 6 using the Thyroid plan. I did retest the trio I had been reactive to and the results were the same ....8 to 1.5 pounds weight gain each test. When I tested the bread I had such an immediate reaction that I've gone gluten-free. I had stomach cramps and diarrhea within an hour of eating the 1 slice of bread!

So are you supposed to stay on friendly days until you lose the weight that you gained due to the reaction? I've just been chugging along testing one day and resting the next. If I have a weight gain on a rest day I figure I ate something bad, or didn't get my water in, and have another rest day.