Sneaker recommendations

Options
My husband and I are going to start Couch to 5 k in March and I'd really like a decent pair of shoes. I've never owned a good pair of sneakers so I am at a loss as to what brand to buy.

Max price I'd like to spend is $120.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• missymc16
    missymc16 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would find a local running store and get fitted for a pair of shoes. It's well worth the time and doesn't cost anymore money.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Brand doesn't matter, fit does. All the big brands make good shoes, but not all of them will fit you right. Saucony makes a good shoe, but it's a terrible fit for me which makes it, for me, a terrible shoe. Fit, not brand, is what to focus on.

Ideally go to a running shop and get fitted. It's still not a guarantee you'll be in the right shoe, but the chances are far less that you end up with completely the wrong shoe.

If you can't do that, go to a big store where all the shoes are on the floor, like DSW or similar (not where you have to ask the sales person to go in the back and get your size). Try on every pair of shoes you can to get a feel for how different shoes fit. As you work though them, you should start to get a feel for what fits best and what supports your foot well.

There are some tips on the runners world site for figuring out if you need a neutral or support shoe - that can be a good resource if you can't get fitted.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Brooks Pure Flow, Brooks Pure Connect
  • justaride08
    Options
    I got the go run type from skechers and I love them! They even have a form you can print out and measure your foot on to get the best fit, if you have them online!
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I would find a local running store and get fitted for a pair of shoes. It's well worth the time and doesn't cost anymore money.
    What they said! They watch you walk, run, and find a shoe specifically for your stride! If you are willing to spend 120, find a running shoe store! I wish I had the money, that's what I would definitely be doing. I wear a pair of Nikes now. They don't bother me.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Brooks Pure Flow, Brooks Pure Connect
    ...and if they need different support? Recommending a brand is pointless.

OP, go to a running store. A legit running store, not a generic sporting goods/shoe store. Have your shoes fitted. It doesn't matter what brand they are as long as they fit. Your legs/feet/back/sanity will thank you.

Most of these shops will do gait analysis and figure out exactly how much/how little support you need.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Brand doesn't matter, fit does. All the big brands make good shoes, but not all of them will fit you right. Saucony makes a good shoe, but it's a terrible fit for me which makes it, for me, a terrible shoe. Fit, not brand, is what to focus on.

^^^^^^^This, you have to try on and even run in the shoes you plan on running in in order to get a feel if they are right for your feet. everyone's feet are so different, and so is the way they run and walk...try lots of pairs of running shoes on until you get to one that feels just right.
  • mleech77
    mleech77 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    What they said! They watch you walk, run, and find a shoe specifically for your stride! If you are willing to spend 120, find a running shoe store! I wish I had the money, that's what I would definitely be doing. I wear a pair of Nikes now. They don't bother me.
    X2!
    I did this and some of my leg/feet issues I was having with a regular pair of Nike's I'd been using before cleared up quickly. Shoes only cost me $110 as well.
  • dvelocity
    dvelocity Posts: 309 Member
    Options

This

I did this and it made a huge difference. I am very heavy and started out walking and I had pain in my back and my shins. The shoes really helped out with that. Let them know what you will be using your shoes for, it is important. Also, track your mileage on your shoes. They will be for a recommended mileage and often times the shoes will wear out before you realize it.
  • dschassie
    dschassie Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I agree with the folks here, go to a running store, have them measure your foot and/or take an imprint. Based on that they will make recommendations and then watch you walk and run in that shoe.

I started C25K last year September in my old sneakers and they felt "heavy". Just treated myself to a "correct" pair of shoes ($110) and running now feels so much better. I have 2 weeks left in the training and wish I had bought these shoes earlier.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Several have said brand does not matter yet I think that once you find a sneaker and brand that fits you well, you will end up buying again from them. I know have tried other brands but keep coming back to New Balance because they fit my foot and feel great when walking or running.

Just starting out though you should suggest you try well known brands. Def try them in the store walking, running and on stairs if they have them. Just like shoes I will wear them several time in the house on carpet so if they do not feel quite right I can still return them.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Several have said brand does not matter yet I think that once you find a sneaker and brand that fits you well, you will end up buying again from them.

My point of "brand doesn't matter" is basically to tell the OP not to go in with a brand in mind. I'm like you in that I go back to New Balance, because that's what has fit the best for me over the last 3 pairs of shoes... but I wouldn't want brand-blinders on when I first went shopping.

Brands DO matter, because you'll find a brand that fits you well and meets your needs, but there's no point in going in with a "Well, so and so on the internet said that Saucony was good.. and this guy recommends brooks..." mindset.
  • CurveAppeal86
    CurveAppeal86 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    It didn't even dawn on me to go to the running room!
    DUH!

Thanks so much guys! I really appreciate it!