My Trainer Talked Me into This -- So Glad She Did!

Options
Greetings from a newbie to the site!

I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes a year and half ago (I had an insanely high A1c). Six months into living with diabetes I started strength training (because I read that weight trainng fights insulin resistance). I celebrated my one year anniversary of lifting weights on Saturday.

But I still can't get motivated to do cardio, and while I keep my carbs in the range that my body likes I still eat way too much fat (especially dairy and animal fat).

When I was first diagnosed I kept a food journal (I entered my what I are my blood glucose results in the Notes application of my iPhone. But I didn't count carbs (or anything else). I ate according to my bg meter.

Six months ago I developed diabetes burnout and stopped logging my food. Three months later I started stress eating over work. I regained some of the weight I had lost and my bg numbers went up.

I'm back on the wagon (and happy to be there). My personal trainer showed me this app on my iPhone on Saturday. It is a
Godsend! It does all the figuring for me and it holds me accountable for my food choices. I haven't gotten any candy bars from the
vending machine this week because I don't want to enter them in the app and have to see it (plus my trainer will be reviewing my logs)

I like how the app gives you a daily summary. Can we get a summary of carbs by meal? I need to know how many carbs I consume per meal and per snack.

Cheers,

Shire

P.S. I'm female, 53, and currently bench press 80 pounds. :)

Replies

• merebear
    merebear Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Congrats! When looking online there is a bar (blue?) under each meal section that has the total calories for each meal. On myiPhone, it is a blue bar on the top of each meal.
  • shirehobbit
    Options
    Thanks, merebear. :)

I noticed the calories on the blue bar for each meal and snack. I need to find the same type of thing, but for carbs. A diabetic's health is heavily influenced by the amount of carbs they consume (not just in their lifetime, or the amount consumed in 2-3 months -- for the A1c test -- but how many carbs per meal. If a diabetic doesn't eat enough carbs we end up with low blood sugar. Too much and we end up with high blood sugar. Too many lows and/or highs over time leads to diabetic complications. T1 diabetics have it harder becauses their pancreas no longer works so they have to take insuln in order to survive).

Shire