help me love steel cut oats

Options
for me cooking time isnt the problem
its the texture!!

everyone says they are so great, but i prefer the creamy, porridgy instant quick oats.

i cook my steel cut oats with just plain water then add nuts berries and cinammon.

.... i hate the texture! its not creamy at all. its gummy and chewy.

am i making this wrong?
how can i make it creamy (somewhat delicious without added toppings)
is butter and milk really necessary?

Replies

• j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Add milk, peanut butter, eggs, yogurt
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Why eat something you don't want to? Liver is rich in nutrients, but I hate it. You like porridge, eat porridge.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I just cook it to the directions.. but I ALWAYS add peanut butter and brown sugar and it seems pretty creamy to me, but with chunks
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    What health benefit do you want to gain from steel cut oats that another food could not give you?
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Why eat something you don't want to? Liver is rich in nutrients, but I hate it. You like porridge, eat porridge.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I must agree with this, I don't eat things i don't like
  • NBSfit
    NBSfit Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    While I'm all for not eating foods that you really don't like, I do really like steel cut oats. I especially like them when the oats have soaked in water overnight. When you cook them in the morning, it takes half the time and they are quite creamy. I use a 2:1 ratio of water to oats. Love it. Most often I add some preserves and walnuts, but thats just me.
  • snrose
    snrose Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    i cook them in a crock pot....it reallly makes a difference!
  • srenea9
    srenea9 Posts: 142
    Options
    I'm the same way. I let mine sit in milk for about 20 minutes so they get soft, then add cinnamon & stevia, or even peanut butter. Cook in Microwave for a minutes or so. They are softer & less chewy.
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    I eat oatbran (mornflake brand)
  • chi88
    chi88 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Cook them in the required amount of water. When you have about 5 minutes left of cooking time, add milk (i prefer almond milk), cinnamon, and vanilla flavor and eat immediately. If you let it sit, simply add more milk and reheat. The added milk makes it super creamy.
  • Mary1NYS
    Mary1NYS Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I eat it everyday and don't like it when it turns out too thick. You could try using more water when you cook it . I also add some skim milk when its done and blueberries. it turns out pretty creamy if I add enough water when cooking it.
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If you want them creamy, use a crock pot overnight. That's the reason I don't use it because I like them nutty and chewy.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I've made them with peaches, stevia, and almond milk and they were amazing. I might have had four bowls...just maybe lol.
  • spark409
    Options
    hey guys so i love my oats now haha
    ive found the secret is to roast them a little before you add the water :)
  • Lisamonicacarlson
    Lisamonicacarlson Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Six cups of water to one cup of oats...add cinnamon and green apples and raisins. Put in crockpot overnight on low. In the morning your house smells amazing and you breakfast is ready. It is very soft like instant oatmeal. If you want it creamier, do 5 cups of water and 1cup of half and half.
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    not sure if the sources are accurate...but it makes sense.

pick a different oat.

http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/are-steel-cut-oats-healthier.aspx
  • st3f4real
    st3f4real Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Preheat oven 350 degrees

4 heaping tablespoons peanut butter
    4 eggs worth of flaxseed [4 tbsp ground flaxseed+ 12 tbsp water] [the original recipe called for 4 egg whites but we did not have eggs]
    Cinnamon (to your liking) I sprinkle a generous amount and just eyeball it
    2-3 mashed bananas (I used a potato masher)
    10 stevia packets
    Quick Cook Steel cut oats (pour in as much as you think would soak up the liquid while cooking) I eyeball this since I do not mind if they have an extra oatmeal taste. Stir in oatmeal until it thickens and becomes the consistency of cookie dough.

Bake at 350 degrees 30 minutes or until they have risen a little and do not have too much moisture left. They will still be moist. I am experimenting with cooking them a little bit more each time to see how dry I can make them and have them still edible.

*I made them in mini loaf pans today (spraying the pans with cooking spray before baking) and they look and smell like mini banana bread loafs. I put them in individual containers and refrigerate them for the week to bring for snack at work or eat for breakfast/dessert at home.

Who knew oatmeal could be so easy to prepare and be so tasty!!!
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in water and add 1 tbs organic peanut butter, 1 tbs ground flax seed, 1 tbs pure Vermont maple syrup. The heat of the oats melts the peanut butter, stir for a little piece of heaven.
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Maybe the OP bought 6 cases of steel cut oats and he doesn't have anymore grocery money left and must find a way to love steel cut oats now or else he will starve to death. Time is running out to help him find a way to love them.:explode: