Does anyone else experience this or is it just me?

Options
Hi everyone

I have to say how since being on MFP ( not very long lol) it has given me the boost I need to drop my weight and also the tonnes of inspiration so I just want to say a big thanks :)...now down to buisness lol

I have to ask, is it just me.but does anybody else experience terrible heartburn since/while losing weight?...I havent lost a vast amount about 14lbs or so but I have noticed i have heartburn quite bad and getting worse :(

My diet is pretty clean, plenty of fresh fruit/veg..I have lowered my carb intake somewhat and loads of exercise, although i am a coffee fiend but i have cut that down to about 2 cups a day..should i be worried or is this normal?

Thanks in Advance :)

Replies

• Ottinger13
    Ottinger13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You should check in with your doctor. Frequent heartburn could a sign of other issues and not even be related to the weight loss.

Never hurts to see your doctor
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I've noticed an increase in gas - both butt gas and in this stifled need to burp. I hear it's not unusual, though I haven't a clue what to do about it.
  • JellyRabbit
    JellyRabbit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks :)...its just the heartburn not noticed anything else as yet lol
  • pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree, see your doctor. It could be acid reflux. I had it about 15 years ago and it got so bad it burned a hole in my esophagus. I still take medication for it.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Anything else going on? Have you recently quit smoking, for example? That can cause heartburn too.
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I noticed a little bit when I upped my water intake! But it didn't last very long.

I can't see your food diary, so I'm not sure what youre eating that could cause it.
  • boyd224
    boyd224 Posts: 14
    Options
    I have experienced just the opposite. I used to get heartburn all the time, now that I am eating healthier and have lost some weight I seldom get it.

Some fruits would trigger my heartburn, (citris was really bad) maybe try switching the types you are eating and see what happens.
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have noticed an increase in heartburn since my diet is cleaner. Ironic, huh? When I ate fast food everyday I was regular and never had heartburn a day in my life. With more fresh fruits and veggies, low fat dairy and meats suddenly I feel like crap. You have to watch for trigger foods... oranges, although great for you, give me nasty heartburn. Especially if I eat them several days in a row.
  • Cslauson86
    Cslauson86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    See a doctor!! I had heartburn before weight loss. No problems with it while losing weight.

Also, you may have injured/torn diaphragm while working out. This can cause hiatal hernia which leads to GERD and heartburn. See a doctor, this is NOT a normal part of losing weight.

Good Luck!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It was the opposite for me as well - much less greasy food meant less heartburn/reflux.

I'm wondering if it could be the foods you're eating. Many fruits have high acid content so that may have something to do with it. For me, eating raw apples, raw carrots and tomatoes can bring on indigestion and sometimes heartburn.

Maybe make your food diary public so we can help you pinpoint possible culprits?
  • JellyRabbit
    JellyRabbit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do eat citrus fruits alot, so that possibly might not be helping, and i drink alot more water now

Ill grab an appointment with the Dr and get it checked out

thanks everyone for your advice i just wanted to double check :)
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Consider this +1 suggestion to see your doctor, just to make sure you're OK.

Also, unless by "coffee" you mean "coffee-flavored sugar milk," your consumption shouldn't be much of a problem, weight-loss-wise. In fact, caffeine is an appetite suppressant; if you can learn to drink it black, it'll actually help you curb hunger during the day. If the coffee is giving you GI or cardiovascular issues, then yes, cut back. But if it's just for the sake of calories, don't worry too much about it.
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    I was having heartburn so extreme that I was vomiting stomach acid. This was prior to my weight loss. When I took my first 25 pounds off, the heartburn went away. I agree that you should see a doctor because rather than an item to itself, it could be a symptom of something potentially much more serious. Better safe than sorry.
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have experienced just the opposite. I used to get heartburn all the time, now that I am eating healthier and have lost some weight I seldom get it.

Some fruits would trigger my heartburn, (citris was really bad) maybe try switching the types you are eating and see what happens.

Mine cut back with decrease in my fat intake, and if I go too much over my fat allowance for the day, I'm paying for it for 2-3 days with heartburn. I also gave up diet soda for water.