Triceps

Options
I really want to tone up my triceps. They need a lot of work in my opinion. What are some of the best workouts to target my triceps? How long can it take before seeing some type of result? Thanks

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    dips!
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I can feel results in triceps way before I see them. Dips are good because you can do them almost anywhere. Otherwise, get serious and use some weights.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I can feel results in triceps way before I see them. Dips are good because you can do them almost anywhere. Otherwise, get serious and use some weights.

some form of bench press or push ups and some form of over head press would be a good start.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Dips!! Skull crushers and kickbacks.

www.bodybuilding.com will have shorts 30 sec videos showing you how to perform them.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    You can also do tricep extensions with either dumbbells or barbells.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Overhead barbell/dumbell extensions are best in my opinion. Keep your elbows close to your head and don't rock your arms just lift. Hits the tri;s tri's well. As other had said dips are good, but personally I rather do bench press or close hand pushups. Pick and go... :)

Edit~the extensions are best for targeting your tris. Dips, bench press, close pushups hit your shoulders, chest and back as well. Not a bad way to get more muscles involved.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Seconding tricep dips. Easy and kinda fun, I think. If you'd like some guidance as to how to go about incorporating dips, try this program: http://www.onefiftydips.com/

My bf and I are doing this, along with the companion pushup, situp, and squat programs. Start by reading the "what is a dip?" page, where it describes proper form and shows you some pictures. Then, get a chair or something else sturdy enough to support your weight without collapsing or slipping out from under you, and do as many good-form dips in a row as you can manage. This is your initial test. Click "week 1" in the sidebar; the number of dips you managed in the initial test determines which column you'll follow for your workout plan. You'll retest yourself every couple of weeks and decide from there whether you're ready to move on to the next week or want to repeat a week. The time commitment is about 10-15 minutes a day, 3 times a week.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Seconding tricep dips. Easy and kinda fun, I think. If you'd like some guidance as to how to go about incorporating dips, try this program: http://www.onefiftydips.com/

My bf and I are doing this, along with the companion pushup, situp, and squat programs. Start by reading the "what is a dip?" page, where it describes proper form and shows you some pictures. Then, get a chair or something else sturdy enough to support your weight without collapsing or slipping out from under you, and do as many good-form dips in a row as you can manage. This is your initial test. Click "week 1" in the sidebar; the number of dips you managed in the initial test determines which column you'll follow for your workout plan. You'll retest yourself every couple of weeks and decide from there whether you're ready to move on to the next week or want to repeat a week. The time commitment is about 10-15 minutes a day, 3 times a week.

I got to say i'm over joyed at the number of women that are proposing you do dips. tricpes on a woman are very sexy.

then i saw the words '(they are) Easy and kinda fun'. lol. the dips with your feet on the floor and hands on a chair are pretty easy. You should try the ones where your in between two parrell bars that you dip between with your feet off the floor. much harder. And if you keep your upper body as up right as you can then it puts more emphasis on the tris then the chest.
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Dips!! Skull crushers and kickbacks.

www.bodybuilding.com will have shorts 30 sec videos showing you how to perform them.

This!
  • kristanb05
    Options
    I'm doing kickbacks and extensions... and chest presses and rows (both a machine and bent. Dips make my shoulders crack in ways that I've concluded can't be healthy.
  • beachbums6
    beachbums6 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great ideas. i will be using these in my workouts this week.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Cable push downs are one of my favorites.