Tips on losing weight when working Overnights?

Options
so I'm stuck working overnights at my new job, and I am wondering if anyone has lost weight on overnights/tips they can give me?

Ive noticed in the last week I havent dropped any weight! thats really annoying!!!

I try to have my dinner at 5-6pm..I work 11pm to 7am and only have a light snack on my break such as a granola bar and some cheese

thanks!!

Replies

• onefatwife
    onefatwife Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I work at night also. I have a hard time keeping my food journal because it seems like my days and nights blur into one another. I try to eat my heaviest meal for lunch, which is most peoples dinner time around 6p. I eat light the rest of the night while I'm at work.
  • hypocritelecter
    hypocritelecter Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Pre-packing my food seems to work the best. I try to have a late lunch (my shifts are usually 3:30-11:30) and pack in tupperware one or two snacks, along with dinner (usually a salad with fish, or soup, or if I'm lazy a sandwich) and a fruit or vegetable. I'll have tea in a thermos, and a water bottle or two depending on how my water intake has been for the day. Planning ahead is the golden rule. Good luck!
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I work 11pm to 7am too. I do fine eating at work. I have an open food diary and I also put the times I am eating in my food notes. On sundays I work 10:30am to 7pm, but Monday - Thursday I work the 11 pm to 7pm. You are welcome to add me as a friend too if you would like
  • liittlebrunette
    liittlebrunette Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    thanks ladies.. ive been trying to eat on the lighter side..lots of salad but lettuce is ridiculously expensive right now!

bump
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I work swing shift (3-11) and I always feel weird on work days :) I Just pack my lunch and eat normal, the only problem I am having now is getting exercise in on days I work!
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get proper sleep.
  • stgmanitoba
    Options
    Instead of thinking in days like normal hours are. Make a day start when you get up and end when you go to bed and space out your meals appropriately. This helps since I work overnights 11:30pm-7:45am. My schedule is the following: wake up around 2-3pm eat breakfast, snack 3 hours later, lunch 3-4 hours later, small snack just before I start work then dinner during my break. I used to try to eat light during the 8 hours I worked but found myself hungry. Spacing out eating as if your up during a normal hour day I have found has started my weightloss. It dosnt matter when you eat but how many calories from when you get up I when you go to bed. As also stated sleep defintly effects the weight loss.. Get light blocking curtains for your bedroom they make a world of
    A difference for tricking your mind into thinking its night when your sleeping during the day.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Ive worked on & off nights for 15 years....
    I try to eat the same as I would during the day.... I eat something ( usually my dinner) about mindnight... have a snack about 4 am and breakfast ( usually oatmeal) before I leave at 7am....

I make sure to walk the stairs ( usually go to bathroom on a different floor) a couple of times during the night... the adreneline usually keeps me warm ( they seem to turn the heat down at night) and keeps me from getting too sleepy...

also, make sure you get proper rest.... for ME, that means more than 8 hours per day though its rarely 8 straight hours
  • proctorcj
    Options
    I work 5PM til 5AM...it is extremely hard to do...but you have to pre-pack your meals and make sure you drink plenty of water...also dont wait too long to eat...if you do then you will more than likely gorge yourself when you do finally eat. I try to eat every 2-3 hours and 3 hours is max. Atleast a healthy snack anyways. Good luck!! : )~

Ohhh yea try to stay away from breads and sugar hehe....they always make me hungrier for some odd reason LOL
  • runningfataway
    Options
    thanks ladies.. ive been trying to eat on the lighter side..lots of salad but lettuce is ridiculously expensive right now!

bump

Lettuce is expensive? How much is it?

Over here it's about $2-3 roughly for a pack of lettuce. That's not that pricey. You can make a few sacrifices here and there to be able to afford healthier choices.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I have worked night shifts before; has been quite some time. You may want to adapt your thinking to this scheme... Think of your day being between sleeps. So on a 10-6 shift, if you sleep say between 7am - 3:pm then about 4 pm would be "breakfast", Pre-work meal, your "lunch" and During work meal "Dinner"... The key is making sure your goal calories are met between the sleeping times (you can have some variation of this... However your schedule works. In some ways it may even be better. For instance, if you have a gym membership, the gym is open during nearly all your off hours so it is available to you for a longer period of time... Transistioning during off-days may be an issue still but I think it should be workable. Best wishes on your journey.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Same as when you work days: eat a calorie deficit.
  • stina412
    Options
    I work on call from 7p to 7a Mon - Fri and I usually eat dinner foods when I wake up and want my breakfast foods last. I don't know why, this is just what my body wants. I do have my windows blacked out and sleep after my kids leave for school, until they get home. Best of luck!!
  • mmereth
    mmereth Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I worked 11pm - 7am for 13 years (yes, intentionally). I agree with stgmanitoba who said you have to run your days like a normal day...just at what day shift workers would consider odd hours. Make sure you get enough sleep and be sure to take advantage of the fact that most gyms are pretty quiet in the middle of the afternoon. I would sleep until 1 or 2 in the afternoon, head to the gym, which I usually had all to myself, and then before I went back to work, I would nap for a few hours to make up for the fact that I wasn't sleeping 8 hours consecutively.

Night shift ROCKS and if I weren't a single parent I would work them again in a heartbeat! You will come to love being able to schedule your dentist appointment without having to take time off to go to it!

ENJOY and good luck!
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    I worked Graveyard for almost 2 years....... I sooo feel your pain.

Great nights sleep is needed for adequate weight loss. People who sleep during the day are NEVER as well rested as people who sleep during the night because our brains release melatonin naturally when it's dark outside. Melatonin is needed for great sleep, and melatonin also helps with other hormones in our bodies. It helps us sleep well and this gives our body a chance to recover and repair itself. For this reason alone, melatonin is very important for our health. It's also an antioxidant and an anti-cancer agent.
    http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/sleep-topics/melatonin-and-sleep

With that said, working graveyard can EASILY hault weight loss. The best advice I can give you is count every calorie you consume and drink lots of water.... and of course, sleep when you can with black out curtains and something over your eyes.

Oh, if you have a Kroger/Fred Meyer in your area... they sale packs of salad for less than $1! :) My favorite is shredded lettuce, I eat every day.
  • liittlebrunette
    Options
    one romaine lettuce is $2.. thats enough for 1 big salad for 2 people... I'm used to paying less than $1.50 for 2 ... budget shopping!
  • liittlebrunette
    Options

bump

Lettuce is expensive? How much is it?

Over here it's about $2-3 roughly for a pack of lettuce. That's not that pricey. You can make a few sacrifices here and there to be able to afford healthier choices.

one romaine lettuce is $2.. thats enough for 1 big salad for 2 people... I'm used to paying less than $1.50 for 2 ... budget shopping!
  • liittlebrunette
    Options
    thank you everyone for all the great tips!..Ive been eating dinner before I go to work and eating light or snacking on my breaks.. I think now I will start eating my dinner on my first lunch break which is usually around 1:30-2:30 depending on the day!
  • bajangina
    Options
    i work overnights as well 12-8am I have an hr commute so im home 9 930 i come home pick up my son then i make breakfast so by 10am breakfast then i workout and then i take a nap by about 2 or 3 im up i make lunch then i begin colking dinner bout 4 or 5 i usually eat dinner a lil later about 7 or 8 and when i get to work i have water and some fruit or snacks like wheat thins or yogurt this works for me
  • ashleyh3156
    ashleyh3156 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get proper sleep.

^^^ this!!!! I had troubles w that bc I have a 6 mo at home, but no sleep=no weightloss!! I now have switched to 3-11p and its going a ton better, good luck!!!