BEST core exc. need help with mid-section

Options
kimber607
kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
Hi all

I need serious help with my mid section
I am the dreaded skinny fat
Wgat are some of the best things I can do to target that area...feel like I have tried it all.....

Thanks, kim

Replies

• XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    planks
    side planks
    reverse crunch
    mountain climber
    push ups
    bicycle

my fave and the one I've gotten noticeable results from: the REAL SIT UP - hands interlaced behind your head, all the way up, all the way down. I do 30 sit ups, 20 push ups, 20 sit ups, 15 push ups, 15 sit ups, 10 push ups. I'm on fire, but it's the only thing which has worked for me.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Try the ring of fire... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbfGPqYKFY8 Larry Scott says that is what he does to maintain his abs. You basically contract portions of your abs until it cramps which he says releases the fat cells.
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    I'm kinda in the same boat. I've been doing this 20 min ab workout that comes on free on my cable. Here are a few of the exercises... (going off memory)

Plank, hold your self in a push up position. With your right hand touch out to the right side, in front, left side, and under you by your leggs. Kinda like going around a clock 3, 12, 9, and 6. Repeat with left arm.

Lay on your side holding your self off the ground with your elbow and feet. Your mid section and thighs should be all the way off the ground. Usining a 5 pound weight with your free arm, hold in the air and rotate down putting the weight under your ribs then back up in the air. This one KILLS me!

Sit up to a jack, lay on your back. Lift your legs bent paralel to the ground and sit up. Find your balance then open arms and legs like a jumping jack, then lay back down.

These are just a few, hope this helps some. I also just bought a hula hoop. :laugh: I can feel my core working and it gets my heart rate going to. It also cracks me up and laughing is great for the soul :happy:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    planks
    side planks
    reverse crunch
    mountain climber
    push ups
    bicycle

This. Side planks, reverse crunch, and mountain climbers are both my favorite and my most dreaded...because I know they work. You'll feel it the second you get in position!!!!! Search online if you need pictures - or just go to Self.com or Shape.com and type in "abs" in their search bar and you'll see a bunch of lovely routines for your abdominals! :happy:
  • kimber607
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note: If you've got noticeable fat on your belly still, no amount of muscle building is going to magically make this region lean. We can't selectively pick and choose where fat leaves our bodies, either.
  • KS1980
    KS1980 Posts: 40
    Options
    Just a quick note: If you've got noticeable fat on your belly still, no amount of muscle building is going to magically make this region lean. We can't selectively pick and choose where fat leaves our bodies, either.

Good info. Alot of people work their abs so hard and don't see results and get discouraged.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    And to add to what Strout said, it's also important to note that not everyone (no matter the age) can get those awesome washboard abs. Genetically, some people are just not inclined to have really hardcore ripples.

Skinny fat doesn't necessarily mean no core strength (although quite often the two go together), it just means you have a high percentage of body fat, and probably a low percentage of lean tissue for your height, weight, and age. Some people just "wear" their weight better.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    planks
    side planks
    reverse crunch
    mountain climber
    push ups
    bicycle

my fave and the one I've gotten noticeable results from: the REAL SIT UP - hands interlaced behind your head, all the way up, all the way down. I do 30 sit ups, 20 push ups, 20 sit ups, 15 push ups, 15 sit ups, 10 push ups. I'm on fire, but it's the only thing which has worked for me.

Hate to tell you this but the "REAL SIT UP" doesn't target your abdominals. The muscles that are getting a work out is the hip flexors mostly. A crunch is the best basic option to target the core.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    And some very intelligent folks would argue to avoid any repetitive lumber flexion movements. See Dr. Stuart McGill for an interesting point of view.
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    planks
    side planks
    reverse crunch
    mountain climber
    push ups
    bicycle

Hate to tell you this but the "REAL SIT UP" doesn't target your abdominals. The muscles that are getting a work out is the hip flexors mostly. A crunch is the best basic option to target the core.

I expressed what is working for me. Not sure about the hip flexors, I sure feel the burn in my upper and lower abs though. I've been crunching and planking for ages (along with A LOT of high intensity cardio) but it's when I added this new exercise that suddenly I got results.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    planks
    side planks
    reverse crunch
    mountain climber
    push ups
    bicycle

I expressed what is working for me. Not sure about the hip flexors, I sure feel the burn in my upper and lower abs though. I've been crunching and planking for ages (along with A LOT of high intensity cardio) but it's when I added this new exercise that suddenly I got results.

And I expressed what scientific research has found. I wasn't try to be mean......just stating some facts. This is a learning forum and I want people to get the right information. The other exercises you listed are great suggestions.

There have been a lot of people getting too touchy about what they post on here lately and it's driving me crazy. I'm not attacking you or what you do. If it works for you.....awesome. I'm just telling OTHER people on here that doing a full sit up isn't doing what you think it is. :flowerforyou:
  • kimber607
    Options
    Oh crap
    Even back in H/S a size 4/6 I had a little pouch (my mom and aunt are VERY apple shaped)
    Sooooo, my only real solution is lipo....got it....
    But seriously thanks to everyone who replied...sometimes I feel like I am banging my head against the wall for nothing
    I lift light weights and have no problems with muscle tone and slight definition in my arms, it's my tummy area that just doesn't want to cooperate
    I had 2 children 18 mnths apart and did not work out at all before getting pg...which I a sure doesn't help the problem

Thansk again all
    I'm open to all input/suggestions
    Kim
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    Ice- sometimes that is why I hate these forums, people can't hear the tone of your replies. I wasn't being touchy, I was again, simply stating what worked for me.

Maybe the tone is just the crappy mood my kids are responsible for...:grumble:

Kim - my two are 19 months apart, both cesarian too, so I was sliced open. My kids have abnormally large melons, so my incision scar is not small, it goes from one hip bone to the other. I was also very thin, but I had a muscular body. While pregnant with my second child I developed GD (gestational diabetes), more recently I've been diagnosed with insulin resistance - all my fat storage is in my mid section - there is lots of it :explode:
    Anyway - you seem to be very slim in your profile pictures - maybe you should see your Doctor for a full blood panel just to rule out any anomalies such as elevated glucose.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    Lipo it is! :laugh: :bigsmile: