beats per minute

Options
Hi guys,
first post here, I hope I don't step on any toes.
I know I could've googled this, but I thought I'd do some MORE stuff I thought I'd never do. So here's my novice question.
With a base heart rate of 96, is 120 BPM anywhere near "rigorous calisthenics"? After 3 sets of 72 [and counting] , varied, horizontal leg lifts, it feels pretty rigorous to me as I'm sucking oxygen.
Anyway, I'll check back later.
Thanks.
Raymond.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    With a base heart rate of 96 you're really out of shape and 120 wouldn't be anything close to rigorous for anyone. I have to be at a slow jog to be 120.
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I don't count by BPM - - I go by "sucking wind". If I feel that I've really been working hard, I'll use a "rigorous" or "high effort" type of category.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    With a base heart rate of 96 you're really out of shape and 120 wouldn't be anything close to rigorous for anyone. I have to be at a slow jog to be 120.

Do you think it varies though? I noticed mine was about 96 when I was setting up for spin this morning but I then averaged 160 (I'm often around that) and I am working hard and think I'm reasonably fit.
  • tleeiiiii
    tleeiiiii Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My heart beat is around 75-85 base and when I'm working out I get it to 165-185 (hard intervals)
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Your resting heart rate is 96? That sounds quite high. I'm morbidly obese and mine is 67. I'd google how to figure out your resting hr (take it three consecutive mornings in a row), then follow the calculations to find your target hr (this will be different for obese individuals than for others). Note that wrist heart rate monitors can be wildly inaccurate. Chest monitors are the most accurate for at home testing. You may also want to use a blood pressure monitor.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Cardiac fitness is not the only thing that influences resting heart rate. Every individual is different. My resting heart rate has always been very high (in the 90s) even when I was extremely fit (I used to play field hockey very seriously and could run forever).
  • Angel0787
    Angel0787 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My resting heart rate can vary between 75-100 depending on the day.
  • rayman49cc
    rayman49cc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Response:
    Wow, thanks for all the responses.
    My sitting heart rate has varied from 77-80-96-96 to 80 in the last 2 weeks. [Pulse checked with two fingers and a 60 second stopwatch] Weird.
    I'll look into it more with your suggestions.
    At 5' 8" --- 230., I'm doing much better than I was at 275
    Thanks, everybody.
    Raymond.
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Do you think it varies though? I noticed mine was about 96 when I was setting up for spin this morning but I then averaged 160 (I'm often around that) and I am working hard and think I'm reasonably fit.

The key there is you were getting ready for spin class. The brain knows when you're about to start exercising, and sometimes even the act of putting on sneakers or changing into gym clothes can cause your heart rate to rise.
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Response:
    Wow, thanks for all the responses.
    My sitting heart rate has varied from 77-80-96-96 to 80 in the last 2 weeks. [Pulse checked with two fingers and a 60 second stopwatch] Weird.
    I'll look into it more with your suggestions.
    At 5' 8" --- 230., I'm doing much better than I was at 275
    Thanks, everybody.
    Raymond.

My sitting heart rate is about 80bpm. It's always been that high. Just depends on the person. Even just walking to bathroom or kitchen can raise that to 90 or above. I was told by a nurse that for it to be a true sitting rate you need to sit for 5-10 minutes before taking. My understanding is that a resting heart rate is supposed to be taken in the morning before rising from bed.