New to the forums, might be a silly question.

Options
Has anyone experienced difficulty in losing weight while on birth control? I'm exercising, eating fairly well and keeping myself active, but I seem to be unable to lose weight. This isn't new, either -- I've been on this pill for five years and despite all my efforts, have only gained weight. I know part of it is my metabolism slowing down, and I know some of it is my own fault (I do love breadsticks) and I know some of it is just in my head, but in the opinions of those out there: do you think there is a connection? My doctor told me everyone is differently affected, so someone on the same medication might not experience any issue in weight loss, and someone else might gain all the time. I can't stop taking it (obviously), but I'm getting married in August and frankly, I'm not excited with my current look and shape. I realize this may have been asked before, but like I said, I'm new to these forums and I just want some input.

Replies

• LonaMB
    LonaMB Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes I have, birth control has made me gain weight and it has been hard trying to lose that weight.
  • darcyrose_texas
    Options
    I actually wondered the same thing for a while! I used to be on BC for my out of control periods, but I stopped taking mine in December 2012 after the pharmacy would not give me the right kind (aka the kind I was prescribed!) I got my first period off of BC in the first week of January, which is also when I started dieting. I have lost 9 pounds since then. I did not have terrible cravings or PMS for the first time in years. While I have no proof that my BC was hindering me, I feel like being off of it has been helping my efforts. I was on seasonique.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Birth control will not actually make you gain fat... only excess calories can do that.

What it does however is two things... it can make you hold onto water weight as it changes your hormones. Also, with the change of hormones you may feel hungrier than before and therefore eating more causing you to possibly gain weight or keep your weight the same. Different pills affect people differently. I am on Alesse now and haven't had any changes in weight that weren't due to my own actions. I have lost 60lbs on birth control before... I have also gained 70 lbs while on birth control however I know it wasn't due to the pills, it was due to my poor eating habits and not exercising.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Yep. Estrogen is implicated in fat storage, and may also explain why men lose weight easier. I prefer not to use the pill for this and for other reasons (ie, it makes me a crazy lady)
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I have gained weight and lost weight. I can blame b=my recent weight gain on a number of things - having pneumonia a few yers ago, being on medication (both BC and other) but what it comes down to is "rewarding" myself with food and wine. I find logging on here helps
  • Dfracassa
    Dfracassa Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I noticed years ago that I am hungrier on the pill, so I do adjust my eating habits for that reason. The things we keep in easy reach in our house are pretty good: celery, carrots, bell peppers, 45-calorie bread slices and the like, so we make good choices at home. I guess I just need a big push, and then I know things will start rolling for me.