Sugar!!!

Options
I have been watching since summer and have been able to lose 30 pounds. I am getting frustrated because I have gained about 3 pounds in two weeks. When I log my food it is saying I well within my calories allowed, but sugar intake is always so high. I eat alot of fruit I love it. I am wondering if this is the reason why. My sodium is almost always in check. There are days that it maybe be a little higher but not often. I do 30 minutes of cardio and 30-60 minutes of strength training/circuit training at least 5 days a week. Just not sure what is going on.

Replies

• nahiluoh
    nahiluoh Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you like fruit, try eating more berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries) vs. other options. They tend to have less sugar.
  • bigfatbino
    bigfatbino Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It's the sugar. No doubt about it. We get a LOT more sugar than most people think. Because it's not only pure refined white sugars, corn syrups, (yes, even artificial sweeteners DO count), but refined grains and most dairy products as well. *

*According to Dr. Gundry
  • FoundProdigal
    FoundProdigal Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm not sure if that could be the problem or not...probably possible. I've been noticing the same with sugar...it's near impossible to keep it under. I wish that MFP had a way to differentiate between naturally occurring sugars, such as that in fruit, from added sugars. Personally if it's natural occurring sugars that I'm mainly consuming (banana or what not) then I am trying not to worry at this point.

Keep at what you're doing...hopefully you'll be back on track soon. If not, perhaps try varying up your workout and see if that makes a difference. I don' t know. To have lost 30 pounds though is awesome! Congrats! :)
  • panicintheattic
    panicintheattic Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The amount of sugar mfp starts you at is also pretty low, especially if you're getting it from fruit sources. If it's something you're concerned about, I would suggest just watching your intake from other sources. Sugar is in EVERYTHING, in crazy amounts, and in things it doesn't have to be in. Adding natural sugars in combination with all the added sugars in other things can add up pretty quickly.
  • ShannonECTD
    ShannonECTD Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You need to make sure you are being accurate with your burns and make sure that what you're actually eating lines up with what you're logging.

I doubt it's the sugar, unless you have a health issue such as PCOS, pre-diabetes, diabetes, etc... Losing weight is a numbers game and as long as you're at a deficit you should lose. Since your diary isn't public no one will be able to tell if you're eating too little or too much or give you any guidance with your macros.

Typically it's said that you want to watch how much fruit you consume if you're trying to lose weight, i am not sure if it's got to do with the sugar (naturally occurring) or if it's said because people can tend to go a little nuts with how much fruit they eat. They tend to think it's healthy so they can have unlimited amounts, but fruit still has calories and carbohydrates which some people are more sensitive to than others.