"You don't want to lose too much ..." (Pet Peeves)

Options
I've lost 30lbs so far and could lose 10lbs more and still look healthy (it's not like I'm tiny), but have had people saying to me, "You don't want to lose too much more weight.". I know they may be concerned, though it annoys me greatly! Do they not know if I continue I'll maintain the weight loss and my body will level off where it's supposed to be. Logic states if I return to eating as I did I'd inevitably gain all the weight back, do they not understand this? BTW ... I eat 1200 to 1400 calories per day so it's not like I'm starving myself!

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Sounds like they are jealous and you losing weight makes *them* feel bad/reflect on their own bodies.

Sadly, people have a greatly skewed idea of what weight they should REALLY weigh.
  • Beethoven1827
    Beethoven1827 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've started to just lie to some people. Basically, if it's not someone I'd count as a real friend, they're entitled to their opinion but I don't have to care about it. If saying I'm not aiming to lose any more keeps them happy, I'll say it but carry on regardless. I know where I want to get to, my friends know what I'm aiming for, and are great at offering support and motivation on good days and bad.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Part of the reason why I don't tell people how much I want to lose or have lost. If they ask how I'm doing it, I explain I'm running and watching what I eat, if they ask how much I've lost, I kinda skirt around the topic-if it's someone close to me, I'll tell them but people at work don't need to know.Like rainbowbow said, people have a skewed idea of what weight they should be so they're not going to get what weight you should be. Do what you want/weigh what you want
  • ebrown30
    ebrown30 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Society has gotten a skewed view of what a healthy body should look like. They are so used to seeing over weight people now that at healthy weight dose not look right to them.
  • MallorieGreiner
    MallorieGreiner Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My mom says this to me. (I went through a rough time with my weight before I did it the healthy way.) I think she's just concerned I'll revert back to my old ways, but I just grab my belly flab and go, "MOM. LOOK AT THIS" and we chuckle about it. I have much better habits now and she knows that. Eating enough, eating right, and exercising.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    You should take it as a compliment. You cannot control what other people say you to you but you CAN control how YOU react.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I saw someone here once whom - instead of replying in pounds she wanted to lose - used body fat percentages. No one knew what the numbers meant, so no one could fuss about it. It was a neat reply.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is this comment, "It's easier for you to look thin because you're tall."
    Umm no, it's easier for me to look thin because I work my freakin *kitten* off!
    People need to just worry about themselves!
  • tressieazbill
    tressieazbill Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Before this last pregnancy I got down to 120 and I had so many people give me a hard time of being so small and saying you arent going to lose any more weight are you? My husbands family is hispanic and they gave me the most crap on it. I think in their culture being thin isnt a good thing..THey like meat on the bones. ANyways just let it go into one ear and out the other..But I totally under stand where you are coming from!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is this comment, "It's easier for you to look thin because you're tall."
    Umm no, it's easier for me to look thin because I work my freakin *kitten* off!
    People need to just worry about themselves!

Isn't that one of the stupidest things you've ever heard? You and I have similar stats and I get that crap all the time. I also get "If I was your height, I wouldn't have a weight problem". "Or, you can probably eat like a horse and not gain a pound". Guess what, no matter how tall you are, as soon as you hit 30 your metabolism goes to crap, if you are 4'11 or 5'11. I need to work just as hard as anyone to keep the weight off.

To the OP - this isn't a time to listen to anyone but you. If you aren't happy, change it. You know how much you weigh and how your clothes fit better than anyone else!
  • Dreamer1311
    Dreamer1311 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have to say something in my defense. I am definately not jealous of my friends losing weight BUT if they are seriously starting to look like they are starving themselves and I am worried about them I should have the right to say something.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    I almost posted something just like this!
    I went to the pool yesterday and came home and told my husband about a mom with 2 little kids who was ROCKING a bikini - and he was like "you look fine for your age and having had 3 kids. she must work at it all the time - don't stress out about it." I wasn't stressing out - I was getting inspired - like if she can do it, so can I. But for some reason a lot of the time I get the "It's okay to look mediocre, for you anyway." It's a little disheartening.

But YOU can get the body you want, and so can I, and they can't stop us! SO THERE. :tongue:
  • rjh1975
    rjh1975 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I had my mother-in-law say to me, "Just make sure you don't lose more in your face because it's getting too skinny". Because, of course, I have control over stuff like that :tongue:
  • ifitdani
    Options
    I get that same thing....I think that if you had a drastic change people are more likely to do this. I have hit a plateau lately and my friends say its bcuz I should loose anymore weight and its my bodys way of telling me that. Well I am 143 lbs for crying out loud! Thats by NO means too skinny for my height of 5"7 I think people are also sometimes jealous if they have seen you working so hard and they havnt done anything to better themselves. :)
  • idziak04
    Options
    My mom just told me this last week. I really didn't respond, but let it go in one ear and out the other. I also did not mention to her that I still have 5 pounds to go to reach my goal weight!! I figure that I am doing it the healthy way, by eating right and exercising. I am not putting my health at risk or starving myself, so it really is not anyone's business.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I think also enough attention is given to anorexia and bulemia in the media that people are kind of alert to it, wanting to catch it early and save somebody.
  • Angela2BPecked
    Options
    I had my mother-in-law say to me, "Just make sure you don't lose more in your face because it's getting too skinny". Because, of course, I have control over stuff like that :tongue:

LOL ... I'm picturing a person doing hardcore face workouts! :laugh:
  • mystikalbeanz
    mystikalbeanz Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Society has gotten a skewed view of what a healthy body should look like. They are so used to seeing over weight people now that at healthy weight dose not look right to them.

This is true. But its not just seeing overweight people its also seeing underweight people that think the skeletor look is healthy. So i think this is where some peoples concerns might come from when someone is losing weight. Its seems many people become obsessed with a # instead of how they look and feel. Ohh im like devils advocate there. haha. But i agree that as long as you feel good do what works for you. You know where you want your body to be and work hard to get it there! Try not to let what people say urk you!
  • fstephanie4
    fstephanie4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I hate the "but you don't need to lose weight" comment....whilst they are eating a salad and complaining that their size 6 body is sooo fat. :grumble: Dude, I'm overweight and trying to lose, accept it and move on with your life.