Define "cups"

Options
When the water part of my food diary says "drink 8 cups of water daily", does it mean 8 US measuring cups? Or like 8 standard drink glasses full, commonly called a cup? Any ideas?

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    When the water part of my food diary says "drink 8 cups of water daily", does it mean 8 US measuring cups? Or like 8 standard drink glasses full, commonly called a cup? Any ideas?
    1 US cup = 243ml.
    Just stay hydrated with liquids...8 cups is an arbitrary average amount. Your food has water and any drink will hydrate you.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    8 x 8oz = 64 oz. This is just the recommended minimum. Drink up!
  • zewolf77
    zewolf77 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    1 cup = 8oz as far as I know.
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    8 fl oz. But yes, just stay hydrated. More info: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
  • CorgiLife
    CorgiLife Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I don't know the difference and I'm easily fixated by questions I don't know the answer too, so I'm staring at my regular drinking cup wondering how many of these I should have minimum. It's been bugging me!
  • darisey
    darisey Posts: 228 Member
    Options
  • quiltgal55
    quiltgal55 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    8 X 8 oz but you can count all your fluids. Coffee, tea water etc
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Literal cups (8oz). You do get water from fruit, vegetables, etc. but 8c is the minimum for you to be well-hydrated. You should drink more if you're working out, have had caffeine, or if you just plain feel thirsty. By the time you actually feel thirsty, you're already dehydrated.

There's another "rule" that you should drink half your weight in ounces. So a person who weighs 150 should drink 75oz, which is 9.375 cups; someone at 175 should drink 87.5oz, or 10.937 cups; someone at 120 should drink 60oz, which is 7.5 cups.

But 8 cups is usually a "safe" number.

EDITED TO ADD:

Why would you count anything with caffeine as hydration?? It's the exact opposite and DEhydrates! You are not doing yourself any favors by telling yourself that coffee is hydrating. If anything, you'll need to drink MORE water to make up for the caffeinated drink.
  • marcee728
    Options
    cup = 8oz. but like one post said. it is arbitrary. you may need more if you drink caffiene...replace what you drink with equal water. and if you workout ...what you drink at that workout does not count towards your intake for the day, that is merely replacement
  • LauraRose03
    Options
    Literal cups (8oz). You do get water from fruit, vegetables, etc. but 8c is the minimum for you to be well-hydrated. You should drink more if you're working out, have had caffeine, or if you just plain feel thirsty. By the time you actually feel thirsty, you're already dehydrated.

There's another "rule" that you should drink half your weight in ounces. So a person who weighs 150 should drink 75oz, which is 9.375 cups; someone at 175 should drink 87.5oz, or 10.937 cups; someone at 120 should drink 60oz, which is 7.5 cups.

But 8 cups is usually a "safe" number.

EDITED TO ADD:

Why would you count anything with caffeine as hydration?? It's the exact opposite and DEhydrates! You are not doing yourself any favors by telling yourself that coffee is hydrating. If anything, you'll need to drink MORE water to make up for the caffeinated drink.

I agree^^^^ drink more water to make up for the caffeine, don't include caffeinated drinks as a water intake!
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    if your urine is colorless you're good to go hydration-wise.
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    8 oz cups. 250 mls. 64 oz, or 2L in a day.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    "Why would you count anything with caffeine as hydration?? It's the exact opposite and DEhydrates! You are not doing yourself any favors by telling yourself that coffee is hydrating. If anything, you'll need to drink MORE water to make up for the caffeinated drink. "

not THAT one again!
  • Joluru
    Joluru Posts: 89 Member
    Options

There must be an upper limit to this, or I'd be drinking over 150 oz a day, over 18 cups of water. My eyeballs would float!!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    8 ounces