I HATE my bootcamp "Buddies" and Instructor...

I am sick of feeling like an outsider, I have tried everything I can to fit in, but yet they always make me feel like I don't/ I have the biggest weight lost in our group, I feel like I always try my hardest, yet they never talk to me, or want to pair up with me when we do things in groups, ( God I feel like we are choosing sides in school again) No, I don't smell, I shower everyday. I act like a normal person. My husband got to meet these girls yesterday when we had an outing... (we all went skating) My hubby and I skate every weekend ( I wanna do derby) so we were there before the group, when they showed up, they FLAT out ignored me, I said hi they skated by like I was not there. They did come up to me at the end, after one of my friends feel and broke her arm, said hi, acted like everything was fine, but by that time, most everyone had gone. This includes my instructor, she is the leader in all this, 45 years old and never left high school, The nicest thing said to me all night was by my husband.... Man you would think with how stuck up they are that they would at least be good looking,,,, Now the question is do I finish out my membership with them or do I just figure lesson learned and go elsewhere?

Replies

• Anyone.?
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    If you're unhappy or miserable, find another group or activity that you're more comfortable with. If being out that money is going to bother you, stick with it until your membership is up.

ETA: I agree with the other poster about mentioning why you're leaving to your instructor. If she has a supervisor, I'd mention it to them too. You may not be the only one that this has happened to.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    It's a balance only you can make.

Here's how I would try to look at it. Assuming I've already paid for classes worth X dollars, I'd ask myself, "Am I willing to pay X not to have to see these unpleasant people again?"

No matter what you decide, let the instructor know how her actions have influenced your decision not to give her more business.
  • thanks guys, I have no idea why I am letting this bother me so much...
  • treetop57
    Old situation with new people can bring old and painful feelings.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Yeah, that's not cool at all. Personally, I'd approach the instructor, or person you paid, and say that you don't think the group is a good fit for you and ask for a refund. If they refuse, you'll have to decide to stick it out or take a loss financially. Start looking for other groups though and before you sign up ask if you can try a session first. I think most bootcamps or fitness groups will let you try one free to see if it's right for you.

That being said, if you decide to stick it out with this group, just focus on you and your goals. Don't pay attention to them or their rudeness and above all, don't let it derail you from your goals.
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    If it were me, I'd go find another group. Unless I had a lot of money invested that they refused to get back, then I'd stick it out if I couldn't have a refund. Working out in groups is supposed to help motivate you; if the experience is that negative it's just going to bring you down and do the opposite. I stopped going to classes in the past year that I didn't like (they're included in my gym membership) and take others or work out on my own instead. I'm a much happier camper.
  • well problem kinda solved.... for now. I broke my arm. so no bootcamp for a few weeks and no derby for a few weeks... but hey I can Skate!!!
  • treetop57
    Heal quickly!
  • tikibc28
    tikibc28 Posts: 2 Member
    Have you ever thought of asking them what the problem is? I know that might put them on the spot, but sometimes letting them know that you are aware that they leave you out will be the thing that puts egg in their face. You don't have to be mean. You should keep being nice and not stoop to their level but who is the one to be brave and call them out? You can do it.....if you can muster up the nerve.