Any other bored eaters??

Options
I am famous for eating when i am bored or emotional. I do great all day, stay within calories and even stay motivated. Then the night time hits, and all i want to do is eat, and I don't know what to do. any suggestions on ways to avoid that night time snack attack???

Replies

• metalpalace
    metalpalace Posts: 576
    Options
    I use to. Ever since I became self employed I don't really get bored anymore. So, start a business that you own it's a wonderful treatment to bored eating! LoL
  • kimmie0627
    kimmie0627 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. So I chew on gum or eat ice, you can get flavored ice pops and te calories are not bad at all.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I eat out of boredum, or at least I used to. Now if I feel that way I get a water bottle and chew gum, then go read a book. I have also picked up several crafts that keep my hands and mind busy at night.
  • schrahas
    schrahas Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the same problem when I am not doing anything. I usually drink one or two large glasses of water and then even get on the computer to occupy my time to forget about eating. Sometime I even check out the calories that I am about to eat and talk myself out of it. You are right weekend are the worse when I am home all day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hang in and keep up the good work
  • Tamiash
    Tamiash Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Try brushing your teeth, your less likely to eat.....sometimes if the hour is right I head it off by going to bed. :smile:

10 calorie jello- celery with laughing cow cheese....than run and go brush teeth !!!!! If the temptation is to strong, go to bed if it allows.
  • CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Options
    Yes this was my main problem..well to be honest still battle with that boredome issue! Lol....I suggest take up something! I enjoy reading and just a little note here. Amazon.com has this amazing little download called Kindle for PC and hundreds of books for free download for that program, so you can read books on your laptop....it's quite the boredom buster I have to say. Also when I'm extremely bored I go for a walk, take my music and just walk. I also make jewelry. Sometimes its as simple as going to take a long bath or chatting online with a friend. But there's tons of things to do that's all I can offer....just occupy yourself until you forget about wanting to eat.
  • Capucine7
    Capucine7 Posts: 40
    Options
    I also do real well during the day but once night comes around I find it a lot more difficult. Yesterday I went for a long bike ride to keep me busy and it worked.
  • medrewiske
    medrewiske Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I always want to snack when I'm watching TV. So in the evenings when I start to feel like I want a snack, and I know I don't need one, I've been trying to get off the couch and do something. Pay bills, return emails, or go on here!
  • fonrouge82
    fonrouge82 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The evenings are super difficult for me too! Having a snack (such as a bowl of ice cream) in the evening has been the toughest
    habit for me to break! I still want it every night! Sugarfree Jello, gum, water, and reading posts on this site have saved me. I
    wake up feeling like I have won a small victory if I made it through the previous evening without snacking. :flowerforyou:
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I always want to snack when I'm watching TV. So in the evenings when I start to feel like I want a snack, and I know I don't need one, I've been trying to get off the couch and do something. Pay bills, return emails, or go on here!

I agree with this, try to do something else. Something where you can't actually eat if possible. Play board games, have a bath, take a walk, tidy up or if you like to watch tv to wind down, do something with your hands at the same time to keep you occupied e.g. knit, cross-stitch, hand-held video games... anything that gets you thinking about something other than food!

Good luck
  • msspriss
    msspriss Posts: 14
    Options
    I have the same problem.

I need to start brushing my teeth after eating, which helps.

I decided to start maintaining more manicured nails. Every time I want something to do with my hands, I can paint my nails, paint my toenails, etc. It's gives me something to do, and since you nails can stay "tacky" for a while, you can't get food very easily without messing them up. For me it's also a motivator, just to look at my nails during the day, because it means I am taking care of myself and taking pride in my appearance.

I need to think of others, because snacking is a big thing for me.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I've discovered how much more I enjoy eating foods that use to think were "blah" but now I enjoy eating them i.e. fruits and vegs.
  • metalpalace
    Options
    Another option is to just do an extra workout to make up for the boredom eating.

I like saying things like... I workout so that I can eat ice cream and it's wonderful! :)
  • jjohnson1059
    Options
    Ok, I eat when I'm bored, too. Problem is, I like to eat when I'm bored. If I try to do something different to get my mind off of being hungry, my mind just stays on the fact that I want something to eat. It sucks. I don't think I'll ever be able to figure out how to stop. So, why try to beat it? I just eat less during the day so I have calories left on my stupid fitnesspal calculator that I can use up at night!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Have a cup of herbal tea. Tazo makes some really flavourful ones. My personal favourite is Wild Sweet Orange.
  • metalpalace
    Options
    Ok, I eat when I'm bored, too. Problem is, I like to eat when I'm bored. If I try to do something different to get my mind off of being hungry, my mind just stays on the fact that I want something to eat. It sucks. I don't think I'll ever be able to figure out how to stop. So, why try to beat it? I just eat less during the day so I have calories left on my stupid fitnesspal calculator that I can use up at night!

Sadly that doesnt work it just makes it worse. Your body is only capable of absorbing so many calories in one sitting. It needs to be spread out more evenly during the day or those calories will spill over into fat plus you'll have the added insult of a weaker metabolism making it even easier to put on more fat when those calories do spill over which they inevitably will with your eating schedule.
  • ymhand
    ymhand Posts: 188
    Options
    I'm not much of a tea -drinker but there's some out there that helps with well being and suppresses your appetite, maybe try a night time tea when your feeling the urge
  • mlejoy3
    mlejoy3 Posts: 9
    Options
    I like to eat at night after my kids go to bed. I usually save 100 calories or so to have some sort of ice cream snack. Some of my favorites are a fudgecicle or Fit and Active Wildberry Sorbet popcicles from Aldi. This makes me feel like I have a treat and makes it so I don't sit and eat a whole bag of chips or something.
  • awellday
    awellday Posts: 14
    Options

I agree with this, try to do something else. Something where you can't actually eat if possible. Play board games, have a bath, take a walk, tidy up or if you like to watch tv to wind down, do something with your hands at the same time to keep you occupied e.g. knit, cross-stitch, hand-held video games... anything that gets you thinking about something other than food!

Good luck

That is genius! I know it sounds so simple, but it has to work. i can't eat and knit at the same time! Now i just have to learn houw to knit!!!
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I bought swiss miss hot chocolate. they have a 25 calorie one, I make a cup of that and drink that instead of eating.. i feel at least I got something sweet, but for 25 calories never feel guilty.. ps- it tastes good also